A Wet End to the Week. Flooding for Some?

I have no idea where the storm is SUPPOSED to be, but in western Leyte, last night, there were very strong winds, power outage for several hours (second night of that) and mixed rain, heavy and light. We were taken by surprise by the wind. It had already been raining for many days, basically non stop.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• Tullioz

• colemanlee

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not qualified to predict the rainfall as it crosses the Visayas tomorrow;   but I'm sure glad right now my house sits on a small hill.   Still if you all got family or peeps living in those co

We went brownout at 4pm Sunday and power just returned a few minutes ago. We had a floor freezer which was full of ice so we were able to keep the perishables on ice but by tomorrow afternoon all the

It is certainly wet and windy here in Day-asan. We moored the boat up close to the shore on a short line and anchor and dropped it's canopy due to the strong gusts, so now we just wait out the storm.

Posted Images

I have no idea where the storm is SUPPOSED to be, but in western Leyte, last night, there were very strong winds, power outage for several hours (second night of that) and mixed rain, heavy and light. We were taken by surprise by the wind. It had already been raining for many days, basically non stop.

I must be north of you.  We had steady rain last night but not much wind.  Gotta take a ferry to Cebu tomorrow.  Hope things calm down by then.

Yeah-talked to family there.

when you get enough posts-pm me and let's talk.

I will for sure

BossHog

Hope it gets restored soon for you guys.

Day 5 and still waiting.

They did restore power from the mainland to this island last night but the local electric company still needs to do some extensive line work before we get kuryente up to the house.

Here are pics of the two towers that went down:

post-5791-0-84368300-1484198967_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-05123000-1484198978_thumb.jpg

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4

Day 5 and still waiting.

They did restore power from the mainland to this island last night but the local electric company still needs to do some extensive line work before we get kuryente up to the house.

Here are pics of the two towers that went down:

attachicon.gifbb.jpg

attachicon.gifaa.jpg

that looks ugly

JamesMusslewhite

We went brownout at 4pm Sunday and power just returned a few minutes ago. We had a floor freezer which was full of ice so we were able to keep the perishables on ice but by tomorrow afternoon all the ice would have been spent and we would be losing quite a bit of meats. Thank goodness the lights returned so the neighbors and our dogs and cats will be shit out of luck on the free feast they would have been receiving tomorrow. :biggrin_01: 

The storm made landfall in Cagdianao, Dinagat Island but our farm faired quite well as the property is elevated and small mountainous ranges blocked most of the head winds. I hope everyone else came trough with little issue.

• Like 6
colemanlee

we would be losing quite a bit of meats.

James don't you have generator?

lolhahaha

Been putting off driving to a mall to go grocery shopping because of the rain but finally did it today in the rain because it's never going to stop.

Traffic was great though. I'm not sure what superstition keeps 90% of the locals from going outside when its raining but it must be important because it's been raining at least 8 straight days and its almost like driving at night because theres almost no traffic (until you get near a city).

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

James don't you have generator?

I have one at our farm but not here on this little island where I am building this facility. I will have one here later this year once I have all the wiring and pump installations completed as I will need one to insure I can maintain all the platonic algae, rotifer, copepod, brine shrimp and shrimp production tanks as well as saltwater and sump pumps and aerators. This small facility will be hosing almost 96,000 liters of saltwater in a closed circulation system so having a fuel generator will be paramount to have installed before I can begin lobster production.

I simply did not have time to secure our boatman to take me and our boat over to the farm on Dinagat Island to get our small generator and bring it back. Once the storm hit we had the 34 footer dry docked with the canopy down so it would have required a few able bodies along with myself to drop the boat back into the water as well as trying to get our boatman here to take us over. The shallow areas between the small islands here are both tricky and dangerous so one is wise to have an experienced boatman who if familiar with the waterways because conditions here change very quickly with the tides. There are quite a few boats lost here every year so it is wise to always err on the side of caution. One little miscalculation and at best you will bend or drop a propeller or bend a shaft, worse is to slam into a reef or rocks, and if that were to happen while the heavy swirls ate active you can lose a boat or a life.

Now going into the rainy season of next year I will not be caught without one here on this island plus I should have at least solar panels installed as well as wind generators which will help insure that I will have a viable source of energy besides a fuel generator if we were to get hit again. Now if we had evacuated here we would have taken or boat to the farm on Dinagat Island as we can get it up into the mangroves and take it up river where we can pull it out of the water. Once on the farm, if there is a power outage, than all is needed is to flip a switch in the fuse box and a quick pull of a rope and we have lights. But here on the island were this project is we are still a little more primitive still.  :biggrin_01:       

• Like 1