Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Red Planet Hotel (used to be Tune)

Mikala

Stayed at Red Planet 1 night last week. It's located directly across from Metro in Ayala. Maybe a 50 meter walk from Escario Street.

I would have preferred to stay at Golden Prince, but it was about $10 more expensive. Wellcome Inn was also much more expensive ($51), so I was shocked at that. I consider Wellcome Inn to be a solid 1 or 2 star hotel that used to be cheap. Red Planet was $33, so an easy choice for 1 night.

Pluses:

1. Incredible shower with high enough water pressure to drown ya'

2. Comfortable bed with a real mattress / box springs

3. Great air conditioning

4. Easy stroll to Ayala, 7-11 next door

5. Very easy to get a taxi

6. Quiet (no street noise whatsover, but my room faced the back side)

Minuses:

1. Room is small, so not really a place you'd want to stay more than a few days

2. No in-room refrigerator (no room for it anyway).

3. Most taxi drivers have never heard of the place

4. Lobby is on the 2nd floor, so need to take an elevator to get there. Longish wait for elevators at times (2 in service)

5. Internet is really slow!

6. Air conditioning unit is a bit noisy, but I consider it white noise.

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 6

senseless

Stayed at Red Planet 1 night last week. It's located directly across from Metro in Ayala. Maybe a 50 meter walk from Escario Street.

I would have preferred to stay at Golden Prince, but it was about $10 more expensive. Wellcome Inn was also much more expensive ($51), so I was shocked at that. I consider Wellcome Inn to be a solid 1 or 2 star hotel that used to be cheap. Red Planet was $33, so an easy choice for 1 night.

Pluses:

Minuses:

4. Lobby is on the 2nd floor, so need to take an elevator to get there. Longish wait for elevators at times (2 in service)

AirBNB has units listed on the same street for $21/night. The range for that area is $21-$40/night. Units are in the 25-40sqm range. Sign up under my link and get $30 off your first stay! (and I get $30 too! :D )

Mikala

AirBNB has units listed on the same street for $21/night. The range for that area is $21-$40/night. Units are in the 25-40sqm range. Sign up under my link and get $30 off your first stay! (and I get $30 too! :D )

I've used AirBnB often enough. Just finished 3 weeks of AirBnB while in Thailand.

That being said, my review of AirBnB listings for the area I stayed (Red Planet), I see nothing less than $39 per night for the whole apartment (I would not consider using some stranger's room) and 2 adults. That's for February 7th for 1 night. With the cleaning and service fees, it comes out to be $55 per night.

Monsoon

Incredible shower with high enough water pressure to drown ya' 2. Comfortable bed with a real mattress / box springs

Their business model is based on the assumption that travelers can do without frills and want a clean room, comfortable bed and good shower. So they claim to buy their mattresses and shower heads from the same place that 5 star hotels do. Also everything is supposedly a la carte (down to the TV and towels). Although if oyu book on agoda they typically include the basics: towel, AC, TV. 

I've stayed in a few of them. Pet peeves are their key cards tend to malfunction and this drives the control unit in the room which turns on the features you paid for. Having no phone in the room you need to run down to the desk to get it solved and this can take a few trips back and forth. The only place I would consider using them is in the Philippines because often cheap and good/clean don't go hand in hand with lodging there. But overall, too much hassle and not worth it to me. Also the rooms are a bit too small. Usually when I travel I am working so I like to have a nice comfy desk to sit at and its nice to have a room that's not so claustrophobia inducing. 

If staying in that exact area of Cebu I prefer the Quest. 

• Like 2

delancey

Only in the Philippines moment at Tune, Ayala.

Room has giant circa 1985 style phone book on the shelf and just above that is the table top which is is completely empty.

Go back in line at front desk assuming phone is missing....no phone in room sir.

TheWhiteKnight

Pluses:

Minuses:

Some guys consider bypassing the front desk on level 2 to bring "guests" a good thing as I've been told.

Besides the internet yeah its a pretty decent accommodation, AC loud as hell tho.

• Like 1