Had a short, burnedwire but did not blow fuse.

RogerDat

The power supply cable touched it's self at a place the insulation was weak( conjecture on my part) where the wire enters the in line glass fuse, and at the entry to the fuse is where it burned thru. I touched the wires to each other, and it works. 12VDC.

bad insulation? system has been in service over 3 years.

RogerDat

a bit of GOOGLE turned up this. It is pretty much what I see.

Opens are another type of fault that can occur in automotive electrical circuits. An open is just what the name implies: an open in the wiring that stops the flow of current and kills the circuit. An open will not blow a fuse, but it will prevent the circuit from functioning. An open may occur if a wire breaks, a wiring connector is loose or unplugged, or severe corrosion inside an electrical connector has created so much resistance that current cannot flow through the circuit.

Opens can also occur in electronic circuits if micro  cracks form in soldered connections or on printed circuit boards. The circuit may pass current normally when cold, but as it heats up and expands, the micro cracks may open up causing an intermittent open.

RogerDat

Well I got the damaged parts out. The fuse glass broke when i dropped it, but wire is still intact.

The left wire into the black housing is where the greenish corrosion, and burn is[, had a oily sheen. the 2 black dots on the wire strand look like where the insulation was almost burned thru.

post-7667-0-90736300-1483337947_thumb.jpg

post-7667-0-32569700-1483337753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Mikala

Thank goodness the fuse holder protected the fuse! :Yay:

• Like 1
RogerDat

Well, since the safety device is what failed, I cut the bad wire out and wire nutted the ends together. Problem solved.