Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Safety While Traveling on a Ferry

JonnyBravo

Safety all depends on how many hail Mary's and "our Fathers" everyone does at departure.

Funny how they play the Lord's Prayer on the tv before they embark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jawny

Life vests may not be the only thing to be concerned about while traveling on ferries. This Indonesian ferry incident is pretty horrific, and I am guessing the 23 fatalities are not wearing life vests.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/01/asia/indonesia-ferry-fire/

streak03

My wife and I use Fast Cat roro between Bacolod and Iloilo.  Very nice boat.  https://www.fastcat.com.ph/

throttleplate
On 2/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, streak03 said:

My wife and I use Fast Cat roro between Bacolod and Iloilo.  Very nice boat.  https://www.fastcat.com.ph/

took fastcraft to bacolod from iloilo couple weeks back. The aircon is super cold but a bigger problem was what was coming out of the vents was a very pungent smell of anti freeze ethylene glycol and exhaust fumes. I went and stood back by the engine compartment and it was not a healthy situation with lots of bad fumes.

Boat must be oldest in fleet as many windows were leaking from the ocean spray.

streak03

Hey Throttle, which boat did you all use?   The fast cat is a catamaran that leaves from Banago port.  I didnt see any leakage or smells when we were on it a few weeks ago.

throttleplate
20 hours ago, streak03 said:

Hey Throttle, which boat did you all use?   The fast cat is a catamaran that leaves from Banago port.  I didnt see any leakage or smells when we were on it a few weeks ago.

it was oceanjet

streak03

If you guys go to Iloilo again, try the FastCat from Banago.  Very nice boat, its a roro as well and it docks near Iloilo city, not way out in the boonies. 

• Like 1

SkyMan
12 hours ago, throttleplate said:

it was oceanjet

Fast Cat is not a fastcraft.  

streak03

Takes about  1 hour 45 minutes to get there

mikewright

Decades ago caught a night ferry from Cebu to Ormoc City, sleeping deck class. All the gangway doors were locked, and there was netting over the outside of the boat, which would have trapped anyone on the deck had the boat sunk.

Thought that was the most dangerous boat I would ever travel upon, until a trip from Siargao Island to Surigao last year. Traveled in style, tourist class with air con. A crowded room in the lower deck, a narrow stairway to get there, and an escape exit via a single-file ladder.

Cheap fare, though.