Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Safety While Traveling on a Ferry

Kabisay-an gid

Back in the good old days I used to like to travel the overnight ferry Cebu to Naval, the Cayagun?? Princess. Being a good looking wealthy foreigner   I would get the luxury cabin with an exit to the inside of the boat and one to the outside.  One trip I realized the the emergency exit was rotted shut with no chance of opening!

The Cagayan Princess - now named the Theresian Stars.

Kabisay-an gid

maybe its just me but I see traveling on a ferry here as much more dangerous than flying

Come on, now. What could possibly go wrong? :)

• Like 1

Jawny

I've used 2Go mostly for many years (Supercat). Of the three from Ormoc to Cebu, their vessels are the closest to being "safe" in my view.

I used to use Weesam, but they seemed the worst as far as safety went. Fixing things with duct tape may be fine at home, but not on a sea going vessel.

Ocean jet has the oldest vessels with regard to egress. We use them infrequently, but noticed on a recent trip the vessel looked like it had just been purchased and retrofitted to accommodate passengers. They had this business class section that was as described above. A room above the tourist class, with the only exit a trip down some stairs to the tourist class.

With that said, I don't feel particularly uneasy about the safety of the trips we take.

• Like 2

hyaku

The Cagayan Princess - now named the Theresian Stars.

No boat to Naval from Cebu for around three months. They bring up deli goodies in the van from Ormoc Shop freezer is packed with Swiss Deli goods but difficult to get things like yoghurt and S&R veg.

There is talk of a new service this coming year.

Supercat/2Go is also my choice from Ormoc. Ocean Jet is a tub. I dont know how they manage to charge more? Maybe its because of their early time schedule. Weesam has broken down and drifted en route more than once.

Back in the good old days I used to like to travel the overnight ferry Cebu to Naval, the Cayagun?? Princess. Being a good looking wealthy foreigner   I would get the luxury cabin with an exit to the inside of the boat and one to the outside.  One trip I realized the the emergency exit was rotted shut with no chance of opening!

I believe that boat had a fire after I left the PI's.          Jester

Didn't you see those giant rats that live under the bunks on the left?

oscarpears

It always worries me when just before sailing, the captain asks that we join him in saying a decade of the Rosary. Something i normally like to keep in reserve for the minutes before abandoning the ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jester

No boat to Naval from Cebu for around three months. They bring up deli goodies in the van from Ormoc Shop freezer is packed with Swiss Deli goods but difficult to get things like yoghurt and S&R veg.

There is talk of a new service this coming year.

Supercat/2Go is also my choice from Ormoc. Ocean Jet is a tub. I dont know how they manage to charge more? Maybe its because of their early time schedule. Weesam has broken down and drifted en route more than once.

Didn't you see those giant rats that live under the bunks on the left?

Oh my, I thought they were small dogs  : )  

• Like 3

liquido

If the destination is more than 2 hours I will not go..If they do not offer open air I will not go..simple as that.. 

• Like 2

Daddy

narrow stairway

Isn't that called a "ladder" in the Navy? :db:

• Like 2

Ricky

I believe in taking reasonable risks in life, but I certainly wouldn't take my family on the ferries in the Philippines. As a Master Mariner, I've worked with Filipino ex-inter islander ferry Officers, all of whom had nothing good to say about the ferries and none of whom would take their families on them. 
The standards are simply appalling. The ships are old junk worthy of scrapping and probably would be detained if they sailed into any port outside of the Philippines... But this is the 3rd world and change is slow, especially if it costs money. 

• Like 5

Kreole
maybe its just me but I see traveling on a ferry here as much more dangerous than flying

You are not alone.  I decided some years ago to avoid all small "fast" ferries since they are the least stable in rough conditions.  Therefore, I only travel on the big ones that can handle rough weather much easier.  That said, the worst experience I ever had was on a large RORO that used to run between Larena and Oslob.  Late afternoon, in most of the crossing, we were broached to the waves which run very rough down the Bohol channel.  The boat had just 3 vehicles on the deck, and then the passengers on the upper deck, so there was not sufficient ballast below, which may have contributed to the steep rocking of the boat. 

Nevertheless, the pilot kept a steady course parallel to the waves and the ship began to rock precipitously.  All the passengers were terrified and I was trying to keep my cool which was quickly draining away.  It got worse and worse and I was so pissed off that I made motions to the pilot through the side window.  He should have been quartering the waves to maintain stability, but instead was acting like a fuking idiot, with the small dick, big prick syndrome so prevalent here in the RP.  If you have ever been on a ship that is rolling so bad that you have to hang on so you don't slide down the deck, then you know how we felt.   When we disembarked in Oslob, I swore I would never get on another boat like that, ever!  I still dread the crossing from Siquijor to Dumaguete, but always try to time the trip on calm days.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 3

BossHog
Therefore, I only travel on the big ones that can handle rough weather much easier.

I was on a medium-sized ferry once out of Surigao (2002?)

it got so bad the waves hit the upper deck and splashed my then- pregnant wife around the deck.

Most of the cargo was carabao in the front cargo area

but they went with big knives to hobble their tendons so they'd quit moving around.

It was a hellacious four-hour ride.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

Kreole
I was on a medium-sized ferry once out of Surigao (2002?)

How does your "mid-sized" ferry compare to LITE ferry?  I know LITE ferry has different size ferries, but are relatively similar.  That said, I have never been in a bad storm while riding one, although we have had some rocking rides that were uneventful, even getting some spray, but no wash from the waves, at which point I would be putting on my life vest. 

Speaking of safety, I noticed how difficult it is to wrap yourself up in one of their life vests.  I am sure few passengers are successful in tying it correctly, and therefore posing even more danger.  There is no quick-buckle belt that would be easy for a child to maneuver.  And, in the moments of panic, passengers will probably not remember how to tie the various straps, so when a lot of people end up in the water, and you are one of the few who is actually floating, then you will be the go-to alternative to the life vests they have hung around their necks, in which case you can expect to be drowned by them if you do not swim for your life away from the mass of passengers. 

I would at least hope to grab a child before being forced overboard, for god knows, the child or his/her parents will not know how to swim or tread water.  It is a terrible thought, but one that occurs to me every time I ride the ferry.  One of the reasons I always select the top deck, is that it is less prone to getting washed by a wave and maybe provides a few more precious moments to get prepared.

Edited by Kreole

I <3 Cebu

The last one I was on in Business Class had a rear door exiting to the open rear deck...also port and starboard exits through the bridge..as my wife can not swim I always check out any exit...and never rely on whats marked....maybe its just me but I see traveling on a ferry here as much more dangerous than flying

We recently went to Bohol, the one from Cebu was as you described but the return was as OP describes (and the seats were no better than cattle class/waste of 200p), the windows looked to be perspex (plexiglass for the yanks) & i was wondering to myself how hard they would be to breach should shit get real.

Don't think going back downstairs would be easy with tonnes of water potentially rushing in.

I myself always plan an escape due to the mrs being a sinker & also having a 2 year old

• Like 1

davehud

Always check the weather before getting on a ferry. I was once stuck in Puerto Galera for a few extra days before making the crossing to Batangas waiting for the weather to settle down. They use large bancas which I don't trust.

I'm also teaching the GF how to swim. She's actually getting to be a good swimmer now.

• Like 1

bmoore

I used to take open air in part out of saftey concerns. Now I am more concerned with comfort.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk