Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Safety While Traveling on a Ferry

Mikala

A few weeks ago, I endured an Oceanjet ferry ride from Cebu to Dumaguete. As an engineer (and ex-Navy sailor), the first thing I thought about was safety, so whilst walking thru economy and business class, I noted that there were plenty of life preservers stowed under the seats. There even seemed to be a midships emergency exit. When I got up the narrow stairway to business class though, I noted that there's no emergency exit up there! I thought about the joy I'd experience trying to make an emergency exit DOWN the narrow stairway, and then INTO economy class to then try to get off a sinking ferry. Seemed clear to me that I'd most likely have drowned before getting halfway down the stairway. Thoughts on this and other safety issues on ferries? :idontknow:

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 7

colemanlee

The last one I was on in Business Class had a rear door exiting to the open rear deck...also port and starboard exits through the bridge..as my wife can not swim I always check out any exit...and never rely on whats marked....maybe its just me but I see traveling on a ferry here as much more dangerous than flying 

• Like 5

davehud

I cant afford business class, I prefer to die with my people

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ditto, I travel economy.

• Like 1

Dafey

Safety is not always the first consideration here in the Phils. Ferrys....roll te dice...

shadow

A few weeks ago, I endured an Oceanjet ferry ride from Cebu to Dumaguete. As an engineer (and ex-Navy sailor), the first thing I thought about was safety, so whilst walking thru economy and business class, I noted that there were plenty of life preservers stowed under the seats. There even seemed to be a midships emergency exit. When I got up the narrow stairway to business class though, I noted that there's no emergency exit up there! I thought about the joy I'd experience trying to make an emergency exit DOWN the narrow stairway, and then INTO economy class to then try to get off a sinking ferry. Seemed clear to me that I'd most likely have drowned before getting halfway down the stairway. Thoughts on this and other safety issues on ferries? :idontknow:

We used to do a lot of travelling by boat, but we avoid those with enclosed cabins (I prefer the slow boats and Roros). I haven't been on an Oceanjet in years due to these safety concerns, but the one that used to run Duma/Cebu had an open upper deck at the back behind business class. Usually it is deserted as the Filipinos always crowd into the AC. That is the safest place on the boat, and the only place one would have much of a chance to get off in a hurry if something were to happen.

As for those enclosed cabins, they have to be kidding. Usually only two or three exits for 100 people? A life jacket will not help much if the boat goes down and you can't get out because there are 30 people between you and the exit.

Contrary to popular belief, sometimes they do go down. 

• Like 6

Enuff

I'm open air all the way

you can smoke and piss right off the top

occasionally someone brings up rules and shit but I just hand them a p100 and say grab me a pilson and keep the change

• Like 9

Alfred E. Neuman

I cant afford business class, I prefer to die with my people

He has to be in the front to shout "I‘m the King of the World!"

• Like 4

sugbu777

I don't travel by boat/ship anywhere. Had enough of it in the Navy.

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 2

Dafey

you can smoke and piss right off the top

Make sure you do both downwind...learned my lesson !

• Like 6

SkyMan

I'm open air all the way
Yes, me too.  And my wife and I can both swim but I do make sure I'm aware of the life jacket locations.  Just sayin...

Keep in mind, one life jacket isn't enough.  If you grab one and jump out you better swim away from everyone else who wasn't smart enough to grab one or they will take yours or drag you down.  I would hand out those I can and keep the last one.  If there are more I'd throw them out in the water.  

• Like 2

Mikala

Usually it is deserted as the Filipinos always crowd into the AC.

Should be more aptly named "the refrigerator section". Even the Canadian was wearing a long sleeved shirt! One stupid bastard and his wife made the mistake of traveling in business wearing shorts and wife beater shirts. They borrowed clothing from other passengers to endure the cold. :o

• Like 2

Mikal

On the fastcraft between Cebu City and Getafe they've had the Coast Guard signing off on the boat before it is allowed to depart.  Smaller boat, the open air 'windows' are large enough to exit, plenty of life preservers and even a couple or more small emergency skiffs (not really skiffs but no idea what to call them).  So everyone goes through the routine of sitting down in the cabin and putting on a life vest.  The Coast Guard inspects, signs off, everyone takes off the life vest and start crawling all over the boat.  

But not much concern on these smaller boats with exiting, no real enclosed cabin.  We usually have our toddler with us so I do pay attention and make sure that I know what I'm going to do if there is a problem.  On the larger ferries, sure, visions of the movie Poseidon always go through my head and I don't go anywhere that doesn't have a direct and quick exit available.  

Funny, when I saw this thread I thought 'Ha!  It's not just me!'  But that's because I thought it was going to be about overnight ferries being boarded by bad guys.  That's what I worry about.  

• Like 1

Monsoon

Thoughts on this and other safety issues on ferries?

Safety all depends on how many hail Mary's and "our Fathers" everyone does at departure.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Jester

Back in the good old days I used to like to travel the overnight ferry Cebu to Naval, the Cayagun?? Princess. Being a good looking wealthy foreigner   I would get the luxury cabin with an exit to the inside of the boat and one to the outside.  One trip I realized the the emergency exit was rotted shut with no chance of opening!

I believe that boat had a fire after I left the PI's.          Jester

• Like 1