Sign in to follow this  
sport03

Catholic Country vs young unmarried girls with children

udonthani

everyone is breeding less in the Philippines than they were. In 1950, average number of births per woman in the Philippines was 7.2. Now it's 3.3.

daejang

Boys should buy the condoms

Thai boys or girls don't buy condoms. They're free. This truck pulls up in the village every once in a while and they dish them out together with some lessons on sexual health and family planning. It's called Health Education - responsible government uses it to promote not just better health, but economic development.

thirty years ago, Thai family size was about the same as Filipino family size. Every woman had about 3-4 children in those days in both countries. Now Thai women are down to 1.6 - that's about the same as the UK - in other words, about half a child per woman LESS than American women have. Meanwhile, Filipino have stayed at around the 3.5 mark.

thirty years ago, Filipino GDP per capita comfortably outstripped that of the Thais. Now, at $3,400 it'a less than half - 40% of the Thai $8,700. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that there's a corelation.

yeeeaaahhh..... but wasn't Thailand over 50% HIV +?

udonthani

but wasn't Thailand over 50% HIV +?

um, no. It was never even over 1%. The highest rate of HIV infection in south east Asia is Cambodia, where it's around 2%.

FYI, Thailand's efforts to battle the spread of HIV from the mid-80s onwards drew wide praise from health authorities worldwide and is held up as an example for developing countries.

udonthani

oh wait it was at one time apparently pushing 2% in Thailand, but it's now got down to 1.4%. That is still a high rate though. I trust these figures, as the Thai public health system isn't too bad, which is more than I do the Filipine statistics. They'd have you believe that the rate of HIV infection in the Philippines is less than 0.1%, and that there are only about 10,000 people with AIDS in the whole country, which is just not believable.

daejang

uuuhhh.... ok, where do you found those statistics? at Pattaya Forums? LOL

btw dont bother to show the numbers, everyone knows Thailand has the highest AIDS count in South East Asia(a disease known to affect ladyboys). you dont believe me? look it up

http://www.avert.org...utheastasia.htm

The highest rate of HIV infection in south east Asia is Cambodia

Thailand:

Estimated number of people living with HIV/AIDS, end 2007 610,000

Proportion of adults with HIV/AIDS who are women, end 2007 42%

Children (0-15) living with HIV/AIDS, end 2007 14,000

Estimated adult prevalence of HIV/AIDS, end 2007 1.4%

Estimated number of AIDS deaths in 2007 31,000

lets compare it to Cambodia

Estimated number of people living with HIV/AIDS, end 2007 75,000

Proportion of adults with HIV/AIDS who are women, end 2007 29%

Estimated adult prevalence of HIV/AIDS, end 2007 0.8%

Estimated number of AIDS deaths in 2007 6,900

you were saying what???

Thailand is the place where hundreds closet fruit cakes go live their fantasy of sleeping with 10 years old boys!! LOL I read somewhere that Michael Jackson was frequent to Thailand, I wonder if he has a collection of Thai boys in his basement....

even this Thai girl is ashamed of Thailand's reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91nKxziOv8

Edited by daejang

udonthani

'42% of adult Thai women HIV positive' is probably a bonzanza to a semi-literate religous fundamentalist misogynist like you, but you've forgotten the part about 58% of people in Thailand with HIV being men. There's always loads more men than women with HIV anywhere in the world.

less than 1% of Thai females are HIV positive, but about 1.6% of men. Of course the Filipine government doesn't compile the statistics properly and release them, so we haven't got a clue what the level of infection in the Philippines is. They don't even routinely test every pregnant woman for HIV even though everyone knows they're a key group to examine because it's obvious they've been sexually active recently. Maybe they're scared.

Edited by Steve
removed insulting remarks

Kreole

What I do not understand is why the Philippines has one of the lowest rates of HIV in the world. See this links:

http://www.nationmas...ving-per-capita

https://www.cia.gov/...e=af&rank=33#gh

Out of 147 countries, the Philippines is #142. From what I read, when foreigners have sex with Filipinas, the girl rarely, if ever, asks for the guy to use a condom. With this particular trend, the HIV stats for the PI should be much, much higher.

Willie

What I do not understand is why the Philippines has one of the lowest rates of HIV in the world. See this links:

http://www.nationmas...ving-per-capita

https://www.cia.gov/...e=af&rank=33#gh

Out of 147 countries, the Philippines is #142. From what I read, when foreigners have sex with Filipinas, the girl rarely, if ever, asks for the guy to use a condom. With this particular trend, the HIV stats for the PI should be much, much higher.

Seems udonthani already answered this question. Either the PI government won't disclose the real statistics, or worse, they don't even bother to measure. One thing is for sure, the rate of HIV transmission is not magically lower in the Philippines, especially given the level of risk factors present there for the spread of sexually transmitted disease. That's not the way science works. The old phrase "it's different this time" rarely turns out to be true, regardless of the circumstance or context. Quite likely an unfolding horrible reality in form of the tip of an AIDS epidemic in the Philippines will begin to be seen very soon. Given the reality of social conditions there, as well discussed in this thread, it will be very difficult putting the genie back in her bottle once she delivers the news of a rapidly escalating AIDS epidemic spreading like wild fire from hot loin to hot loin in that beautiful but corrupt tropical land.

Steve

epidemiologist at the CDC

Willie

An older article, but still informative. By the way, some groups in the Philippines -- men sleeping with men, and intravenous drug users -- have just been classified as being in epidemic for HIV transmission. Overall, the trend for the Philippines looks extremely ominous. Take precautions Gentlemen.

Philippines Sits On HIV Time Bomb

Asia Times, April 1, 2003

Ted Lerner

Steve

epidemiologist at CDC

JamesMusslewhite

'42% of adult Thai women HIV positive' is probably a bonzanza to a semi-literate religous fundamentalist misogynist like you, but you've forgotten the part about 58% of people in Thailand with HIV being men. There's always loads more men than women with HIV anywhere in the world.

less than 1% of Thai females are HIV positive, but about 1.6% of men. Of course the Filipine government doesn't compile the statistics properly and release them, so we haven't got a clue what the level of infection in the Philippines is. They don't even routinely test every pregnant woman for HIV even though everyone knows they're a key group to examine because it's obvious they've been sexually active recently. Maybe they're scared.

You have me confused, and does that make me a semi-literate religious fundamentalist misogynist. You are stating that 42% of adult Thai females comprise less than 1% of Thailand population?

I had respect before for your ability to use a Thesaurus, but to insult a member when he uses a link to a websites that is in direct conflict with your statement. It is adolescent at best, and is unfitting behavior to one representing himself as an academic intellectual. Wrong, very wrong. You have to have respect to expect respect. Sorry but I believe you just lost some respect from me. Attack the message and not the messenger.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

aka

You have me confused, and does that make me a semi-literate religious fundamentalist misogynist. You are stating that 42% of adult Thai females comprise less than 1% of Thailand population?

I had respect before for your ability to use a Thesaurus, but to insult a member when he uses a link to a websites that is in direct conflict with your statement. It is adolescent at best, and is unfitting behavior to one representing himself as an academic intellectual. Wrong, very wrong. You have to have respect to expect respect. Sorry but I believe you just lost some respect from me. Attack the message and not the messenger.

I think you confused yourself there James. He means 42% of Thai people that are HIV are female. Not 42% of the population. 42% of 610,000 people infected. The population of Thailand is 65 million give or take.

Its actually daejang who was wrong. He stated that 50% of Thailand was infected

Edited by aka

rbm

I would think that most girls don't know much about birth control and leave it up to the guy to do the pull thing.

In a country where there are so many young people with nothing to do the whole day, ...

From my experience most girls, collage educated or not have simply no idea about birth control. Only those, mostly already married that have the initiative to go to one of the health centers will avail of the pill. This is readily available even in the remote regions at minimal expence. Also single girls can avail for a modest price.

I have just been involved with a very talented 20 year old girl whom became pregnant and now pays the consequences, as is usual the father wants nothing to do with it. Her reasons are I just did not think about it at the time. I think this the norm.

aka

From my experience most girls, collage educated or not have simply no idea about birth control. Only those, mostly already married that have the initiative to go to one of the health centers will avail of the pill. This is readily available even in the remote regions at minimal expence. Also single girls can avail for a modest price.

I have just been involved with a very talented 20 year old girl whom became pregnant and now pays the consequences, as is usual the father wants nothing to do with it. Her reasons are I just did not think about it at the time. I think this the norm.

I agree. I also think it has to do with the Filipino mentality of living day to day. They don't worry about tomorrow, next week or in 9 months time when poor ol' momma and poppa have to come up with plenty of pesos to pay for the birth. These girls don't think of the consequences before they happen. Im constantly telling my wife to stop and THINK before she says anything, does anything or buys anything.It always seems to be me that has to step up and face the consequences of HER actions.

Edited by aka

udonthani

Thai rate of HIV infection is high, but at least they've got a general idea what it is. By the way, that's not anything to do with the foreigners who comprise only a tiny part of the Thai sex industry, but because whenever any Thai bloke gets their hands on about 2000 baht, they head straight round to a fishbowl and choose one of the about 40 girls sitting behind it waiting for someone to call their number and go upstairs and get banged. 20 years ago nobody wore condoms in these places. Now they nearly always do.

they do have a problem but at least they took steps to address it. If they hadn't, they might now be finding themselves in the kind of situation sub Saharan African countries have found themselves in, with almost unbelievably high infection rates. I bet if you were to look into the average sexually active young woman's handbag or purse in Thailand, your chances of finding a condom in it would be many times greater than it would be in the Philippines. Who seriously thinks the Philippines has one of the lowest infection rates in the world, as it would seem they would want to have us believe?

despite the strides they've made, don't necessarily think that the Thais are always all that sober and responsible about it though. A female friend of my mom's was involved in some of the earliest sexual health education/anti-AIDS work in Thailand over 20 years ago and she went over there and their health educators also came to London. While they were in London for the conference, one of the Thais asked my mom's friend if she knew a good, inexpensive place where he could find a prostitute while he was there. LOL. It totally floored her. That shows how pervasive prostitution is in Thai culture. He just thought that because she was involved in sexual public health, she'd know where all the best brothels were in London. It's bad enough for a guy to ask any woman such a question at all, but they were supposed to both be professional public health educators addressing the most serious sexually transmitted disease that there has ever been.

senseless

Unfortunately, their parents must have never taught them how to dream too...

It's really sad isn't it? The very few that do have 'dreams' or 'aspirations' are more than likely willing to rob kill and steal to complete it, instead of working for goals. It really pisses me off too because I had to work 2 jobs to put myself through college and am STILL paying off my college loan. The college here only costs like 10000 pesos per semester at most for top of the line where as I was paying nearly 500,000 pesos equiv in USD per semester at a 'decent' school. To top it off; there will be some guy here willing to kill me to get what I have.

In that ole' saying they never mentioned this situation... Give a man a fish, feed him a day, teach a man to fish, feed him forever. What happens if the fisherman is nearly retarded and incapable of learning the basic actions to fish?

I saw a story on the daily show with jon stewart (woo hulu!) where this indian kid saw a picture of a wind mill. Not a technical diagram, or anything of the sort, just a normal photograph of a windmill. He was able to deconstruct its design mentally and build a windmill at his home in india from scraps. His home is now powered by a windmill he created. Truly amazing what the human mind is capable of.

With all of the natural resources this country has.... Just walk up any river that runs to the ocean... You'll see copper ore, iron ore, flakes of quartz-silver and quartz-gold.. There are so many resources it's just bubbling from the brim. But most 99.99999999% lack the natural mental aptitude to learn or do anything that wasn't directly taught to them in a master/apprentice style relationship. Look how many families own a small fishing boat. But no one on the whole island gets the idea for a crab trap? Instead they just walk around the ocean until they step on one and put it in a bag.

Look at all these 24/7/365 running rivers, every island has dozens upon dozens of them. Lets say the philippines wants to build a new dam on one of these rivers but has no money. Well, they can make concrete, they can make iron, they can make copper wire, they can make their own machines to make these things. All you need are natural resources and a basic understanding of the universe. This country I think is one of the few that could possibly be 100% renewable powered; at least seasonaly during the wettest portion of the year. Instead they bellow smoke from coal plants until some japanese investor finds a location that will be profitable enough in a short enough time to warrant dam construction.

I keep saying they oughta just completely do away with the philippine military/navy and switch to a costa rica style system where by the police are the defense force of the country. Then just bulk up, and increase the quality of the police force at 1/2 the price of a military. A swiss based defense system would even make anyone think twice about entering this land in hostility. But yet they continue to spend trillions for something they'll never need or use. Even if the philippines is attacked, they would last all of an hour if they're lucky in a modern war.

I guess the question is, how do you mass increase the intelligence level of a population. Maybe a PBS style tv network with education related shows? Then do some govt program to put a TV in every barangay for it? This even goes for the original topic of this thread. Which is, you could play sex-education type videos "what it means to have a kid". Even show women in labour on TV. That is typically enough to scare a young girl from wanting to have kids.

Watch the movie Idiocracy for a nice look at that problem, haha :thumbsup:

That movie should be required watching for anyone born into modern society.

Of course the Filipine government doesn't compile the statistics properly and release them, so we haven't got a clue what the level of infection in the Philippines is. They don't even routinely test every pregnant woman for HIV even though everyone knows they're a key group to examine because it's obvious they've been sexually active recently. Maybe they're scared.

The genetics are also very different here. This country is a mixture of such a wide variety of DNA traits, it could be also that a filipino is harder for the virus to infect due to this. Spanish, American, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Native filipino, there is probably a wider variety of mixed dna here in PH than anwhere else in the world.

I bring this up as, it seems to me, and has been reported throughout the news/web that it seems europeans are one of the few that are able to withstand HIV and even completely conquer it, or get it down to undetectable levels. It stands to reason that different nationalities have different abilities due to evolution. Perhaps once intelligence is brought to the philippines this country will be far superior to any ever in history. (Due to this DNA mixture) So far, This place has a lot of potential, but poor management at present.

Edited by senseless