Catholic Country vs young unmarried girls with children

I guess I do not understand Filipino culture. I would think that a country with such a strong religion would inhibit so many young girls from getting pregnant from guys who simply take off and pay no child support and leave these gals stranded. Is it the rule against birth control that does this?

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Jess Bartone

• senseless

• daejang

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I do not understand Filipino culture. I would think that a country with such a strong religion would inhibit so many young girls from getting pregnant from guys who simply take off and pay no

I thought this was covered in biology 101. Failure to use birth control does not get you pregnant, sexual intercourse does. The Church teaches that you should not have sex outside of marriage or use b

The Mason
I guess I do not understand Filipino culture. I would think that a country with such a strong religion would inhibit so many young girls from getting pregnant from guys who simply take off and pay no child support and leave these gals stranded. Is it the rule against birth control that does this?

I thought this was covered in biology 101. Failure to use birth control does not get you pregnant, sexual intercourse does. The Church teaches that you should not have sex outside of marriage or use birth control, unfortunately, many people only listen to half the lesson.

• Like 1
smokey

my wife has a old neighbor who has 17 children ... and her husband has a mistress... of course they are dirt poor... guess they are hoping one of the children will support them in their old age..

I would think that most girls don't know much about birth control and leave it up to the guy to do the pull thing.

In a country where there are so many young people with nothing to do the whole day, ...

tom_shor

And very poor education on this topic.

the church in the Philippines doesn't have anything constructive to offer to solve the country's appalling problem of overpopulation. All you get is this deafening silence.

nobody else seems to have any good ideas either. The problem is only exacerbated by the social fabric of the country breaking down and out-of-wedlock births rapidly increasing year on year. Right now, Philippine women are having 3.2 children each - that's DOUBLE the rate in Thailand and Vietnam and even way ahead of massively Muslim majority Indonesia. Only Malaysia, interestingly of all the ASEAN countries, manages to have a situation where women have a relatively high fertility rate of over 3 children each and yet has been able to deliver a measure of prosperity to its people so that they don't tend to live in usually abject poverty.

shadow

You can place most of the responsibility on the church and lack of education. Most of the responsibility for the lack of education can also be placed at the doorstep of the church.

Larry in Dumaguete

liquido

This whole subject is a sad joke..How can you even come close to solving this matter if the government here really does not give a rats ass....................

• 4 weeks later...
I thought this was covered in biology 101. Failure to use birth control does not get you pregnant, sexual intercourse does. The Church teaches that you should not have sex outside of marriage or use birth control, unfortunately, many people only listen to half the lesson.

Unforunately there is no biological instinct to put on a condom, take a pill, pull out, refrain from finishing in the mouth etc which must be fought against. So that part of Church teaching is easy to follow. There is the drive to have sex, no matter what Church or state teaches. The basic lesson of don't before a valid marriage in the Church is harder to follow then the message that no artificial means of birth control or only finishing inside her vagina is.

Another factor is the higher broken family rate then is published. With one in ten of the adult population as OFW leaving the spouse as a defacto single parent the rate is even higher then it looks. While the seperated may be adulterous, given enough time apart, the offspring of husband and wife are not counted in the growing illegitimate rate. But mommy or daddy is still away.

Pedro el Lobo
This whole subject is a sad joke..How can you even come close to solving this matter if the government here really does not give a rats ass....................

I agree, One of the reasons I love the PI is because of the respect for religion here, only muslims tend to be more devout. If anything, empty government promises, political corruption, and apathy for the working familys are what's keeping the PI in the dark ages.

Okay, I am not sure how it is the government's fault. Yeah, I do see lots of problems with the government here, but I don't know that the people want birth control taught. If they did and the government refused, that would be different. But any girl with money enough can buy birth control at the local pharmacy. Most won't because word will get out. Same for condoms. Boys should buy the condoms, but they don't and it's the girls that pay the price ultimately.

But hey, as far as the government making the people do something about the birth rate, I dunno, you really want this to be China with a thinly veiled totallitarian government? Or like the USA where a "so called elite" decide what is taught and what is proper to be taught in school and how boys and girls should behave? Personally, it is biology working the way it supposed to. Good or bad, people have a lot in common with rabbits.

udonthani

Boys should buy the condoms

Thai boys or girls don't buy condoms. They're free. This truck pulls up in the village every once in a while and they dish them out together with some lessons on sexual health and family planning. It's called Health Education - responsible government uses it to promote not just better health, but economic development.

thirty years ago, Thai family size was about the same as Filipino family size. Every woman had about 3-4 children in those days in both countries. Now Thai women are down to 1.6 - that's about the same as the UK - in other words, about half a child per woman LESS than American women have. Meanwhile, Filipino have stayed at around the 3.5 mark.

thirty years ago, Filipino GDP per capita comfortably outstripped that of the Thais. Now, at $3,400 it'a less than half - 40% of the Thai $8,700. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that there's a corelation.

Alan S

In one respect it IS the governments fault.

Several Aid agencies, including USAID, used to distribute varous types of birth control, and also hold education classes in rural areas, all of which was free.

The govt originally stopped it, then, following international pressure, allowed VERY limited supplies to enter, as long as there was no education programme.

nanaypinay

I'm catholic (or I used to be) and I once attended a mass a year ago where the priest's homily was about how a child is a blessing from God therefor one SHOULD NOT use ANY contraception no matter what happens!! I left the mass shortly after that fuming mad. It's no wonder a lot of men do as they do and leave the woman once the fun is over (read: pregnant) since they have that "thumbs-up" from "God". I never went back after that.

Sex education is not allowed in schools, if it is, it is only about the biology of one's self you are learning in a "sex education" class and nothing else. There's nothing to learn about sex nor protection against unwanted pregnancies nor STD's.

My country is full of homeless kids, unwed mothers (who many are also children themselves) and churches full of robed men who lectures its' people how children are a blessing from God and who a lot of them are raping themselves. The catholic church is one gigantic hypocrite and a big farce. Just my two cents.

Bob Ward

Religion is not allowed as a topic of discussion on this forum. Please refrain from continuing this line of discussion or the mods will close this thread. Religion just gets too volatile, isn't that odd?