Sign in to follow this  
PhilsFan

Shipping a used Honda generator

PhilsFan

BB box newbie here.

I called Forex as they have an office here in Minnesota metro.

The guy said I could ship my little Honda 2000 generator, but that it would cost an additional $300 (in addition to the $130 shipping rate) due to US Customs and/or Manila customs will be inspecting/scanning my box. Quoted 45-55 days to CDO, Mindanao from Minnesota. 

Google turned up Forex and Atlas as my local choices here. There's got to be a better way methinks....any BB experts here who could give some good advice?

Paul

I would check with another BB shipper. 

• Like 3

colemanlee

My son sent me a fairly expensive guitar by LBC...did not cost me a centavo in customs...forget the price he shipped it for but remember was suprised it was fairly low.  Would be very east to ship a Generator just dont forget to remove oil and gas...

shadow

BB box newbie here.

The guy said I could ship my little Honda 2000 generator, but that it would cost an additional $300 (in addition to the $130 shipping rate) due to US Customs and/or Manila customs will be inspecting/scanning my box. Quoted 45-55 days to CDO, Mindanao from Minnesota. 

Google turned up Forex and Atlas as my local choices here. There's got to be a better way methinks....any BB experts here who could give some good advice?

Sounds like someone is looking for a Christmas bonus. Why would you pay US customs? There is no Philippine customs on BB for such small valued shipments.

Jester

Sounds like someone is looking for a Christmas bonus. Why would you pay US customs? There is no Philippine customs on BB for such small valued shipments.

If that GEnney is a HOnda EU2000i it is a $1000 generator, still small value?  

• Like 1

colemanlee

Relatively the guitar I spoke of was 5k usd

• Like 2

shadow

Yup!

MANILA, Philippines – The Senate has approved on third and final reading the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA), which also raises to P150,000 from P10,000 the tax-exempt value of pasalubong cargo brought in or sent by Filipinos overseas.

Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto hailed the approval of the measure.

Although the provision on the tax treatment of balikbayan boxes is but one of many in the 311-page bill, “it is one that is most awaited by overseas Filipino workers (OFWs),” Recto said yesterday.

“We can now report to them that the Balikbayan Box Law has passed the Senate,” he added.

Close Ad X

Recto filed Senate Bill 2913, or what he dubbed as the BBL, last August after a public outcry over a Bureau of Customs (BOC) plan to open and inspect balikbayan boxes revealed outdated regulations, one of which taxes any box whose contents are worth more than P10,000.

Sen. Juan Edgardo Angara, chairman of the Senate ways and means committee, later incorporated the provision on increasing the ceiling for taxation of goods sent through balikbayan boxes under Section 800 of CMTA.

Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

“Once the CMTA is signed, each balikbayan box would be protected by Super Section 800,” Recto said, noting that it defines “conditional-free and duty-exempt importation.”

Under this section, “residents of the Philippines, OFWs, other Filipinos while residing abroad or in their return to the Philippines shall be allowed to bring in or send to their families or relatives in the Philippines balikbayan boxes which shall be exempt from duties and taxes.”

The “total dutiable value” of the boxes shall not exceed P150,000.

The privilege can only be enjoyed “up to three times in a calendar year,” Recto said, quoting the proposed law.

“This means that an OFW can send two boxes at the same time provided that their total worth is not more than P150,000. That will be counted as one shipment,” Recto said.

The boxes, however, must contain “personal and household effects only and shall neither be in commercial quantities, nor intended for barter, sale or for hire.”

“This is to prevent senders from abusing this privilege. With this privilege comes the duty to observe the law. It also comes with penalties so that smugglers won’t take advantage of it,” Recto said.

The bill also includes a provision indexing rates to inflation, “so that it will not take another quarter of a century to adjust the tax-exempt ceiling for balikbayan boxes,” Recto said.

“Every three years after the effectivity of this act, the secretary of finance, upon recommendation of the (Customs) commissioner, shall review the value herein stated and shall adjust its present value using the consumer price index as published by the Philippine Statistics Authority,” Recto quoted the provision.

He said the “antiquated provision” of slapping a 50 percent duty on the value of a balikbayan box in excess of P10,000 was set 28 years ago through former president Corazon Aquino’s Executive Order 206.

Even BOC Memorandum Circular 7990, which ups the maximum value of a tax-exempt balikbayan box to $500, is more than 25 years old, he said.

Recto said the proposed CMTA also increases to P350,000 the tax-exempt ceiling of “personal and household effects” that a returning resident who had lived abroad for 10 years may ship to the Philippines.

Recto said this provision was not in the BBL he filed but a brainchild of Angara, principal sponsor of CMTA.

Recto praised Angara for shepherding the CMTA, with its many complicated provisions, to approval.

The CMTA is a consolidation of eight bills, two of which are authored by Recto. The other bill Recto filed is Senate Bill 456, which slaps higher penalties for smuggling.

The measure has been described by Angara as a “broad reform measure which simplifies rules, aligns tariff regime with treaties, promotes transparency and combats smuggling.” – With Evelyn Macairan

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/01/20/1544410/value-tax-exempt-balikbayan-goods-raised-p150000

• Like 3

blaze pontaine

If possible, partially disassemble the gas tank .  Then you're not shipping a generator, you're just shipping parts.

By the way, this attachment is worth the extra 5000 pesos

http://www.vmsales.com/

post-3560-0-02172100-1482265506.jpg

Edited by blaze pontaine
  • Like 1

Jester

If possible, partially disassemble the gas tank .  Then you're not shipping a generator, you're just shipping parts.

By the way, this attachment is worth the extra 5000 pesos

http://www.vmsales.com/

You mean you do not like to go out in the middle of the night when it is 35° raining and lightning with a 40mph wind and add gas?

Jester

BB box newbie here.

I have had no issues with LBC and they are most places.   Sort of a loose network of agents.  We call and a little old lady shows up and takes the box and puts it in her garage,  a truck shows up and takes the box and in a month or so it is in the PI's.   The little old lady is a registered  LBC agent and we can tract the box.   I don't know how to find these people we heard about it through the Philippina grapevine. 

• Like 3

SkyMan

Go to a different shipper.  This time, don't tell them what's in it.
  • Like 1

miles-high

http://www.umaccargo.net/branches.html

I used them often.. shipping computers, servers, computer parts, all sorts of gadgets, small appliances... 4 to 6 weeks... door to door... never paid a cent more than their published prices... :)

NB https://my-shoppingbox.com/client/#/is another way to ship things... delivered to your home... airfreight relatively expensive but good to send small computer parts, cell phones, etc. I have not tried their ocean freight, however...

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 2

Woolf

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/150500/balikbayan-box-tax-free-p150000

‘Balikbayan’ box tax-free up to P150,000

Bureau of Customs says Filipinos working abroad may avail of the new duty- and tax-free privilege up to three times a year

Good news for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) sending home  “balikbayan” boxes to their loved ones.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) and the Department of Finance have signed the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) prescribing the guidelines on duty- and tax-free balikbayan boxes.  The two agencies signed Customs Administrative Order (CAO) 05-2016, which serves as the IRR of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA) covering the sending of such packages.

“We value the importance of each balikbayan box. (It) symbolizes the hardship of our (OFWs), and the love of Filipinos abroad for their families here in the country,” BOC Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon said.

Qualified Filipinos

CAO 05-2016 takes effect on Dec. 25, Christmas Day, and states that only qualified Filipinos abroad may avail themselves of duty- and tax-free privileges on balikbayan boxes containing personal effects and households goods.

Under the new CMTA, the tax exemption ceiling for balikbayan boxes has now been hiked to P150,000 as long as the items inside the box are not in commercial quantities.

3 times a year

OFWs may avail themselves of the duty- and tax-free privilege up to three times a year.

Defined as “qualified Filipinos abroad”  are holders of valid passports issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and certified by the Department of Labor and Employment or the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration for overseas employment purposes.

Also included are nonresident Filipinos who have established permanent residency abroad but retained their Filipino citizenship, and resident Filipino citizens who temporarily stay abroad and hold a student visa, investors’ visa, tourist visa and similar visas.

To avail themselves of this privilege, qualified Filipinos must submit: a photocopy of the page of their Philippine passport with personal information, picture and signature, or a photocopy of their foreign passport with personal information, picture and signature, plus a copy of proof of their dual citizenship.

The qualified Filipino must also submit an invoice, receipt or equivalent document covering the goods in the balikbayan box.  The sender must sign and submit as well the information sheet to be issued by the agency, with the document serving as the packing list.

Electronic format

The international forwarder or consolidator, meanwhile, must submit the information sheets and supporting documents in secured electronic format to the Philippine forwarder or deconsolidator.

The local forwarder shall then transmit the information sheet and supporting documents in a secured electronic format to the BOC, before the arrival of the balikbayan boxes to the Philippines.

For consolidated shipments by sea that have a three-day shipping time, documents must be submitted 24 hours before the package’s arrival.  Those with a seven-day shipping time must have the documents submitted 48 hours before arrival.

For shipments coming from America, Europe, Middle East, and other parts of the world that do not fall under the above-mentioned shipping time, the documents must be submitted 10 days before arrival.

Consolidated shipments carried by aircraft and coming from Asia must have their documents submitted one hour before arrival. Those from other countries must have the documents submitted six hours before arrival.

The BOC said the qualified Filipino sender must also certify that only personal effects and household goods, in noncommercial quantities, are contained in the balikbayan boxes. These include clothes, foodstuff, grocery items, canned goods and other similar items.

A different order covers balikbayan boxes brought in through means other than consolidated shipments.

Faeldon urged all international and local forwarders, foreign consolidators and local deconsolidators to strictly follow the guidelines provided for in CAO 05-2016 to ensure that BOC personnel can expedite clearance procedures, and that all balikbayan boxes are delivered to their receiver with utmost care.

The BOC chief also reminded all port officials and personnel to follow the agency’s “no opening of balikbayan boxes” policy, and to expedite the release and handling of these boxes.

Read more: https://globalnation...0#ixzz4SURLXNXi

Nangulo

Buy a box, pack the box, ship the box.  Nobody needs to know what's inside except the generic "household goods" descriptor on the shipping form.  And every BB box shipper I've used does not have a restriction on weight.

• Like 2

shadow

Ok, so, can anyone confirm they had to prove they were Filipino to ship a BB?

I myself have received two or three dozen without the shipper meeting this requirement. does anyone think this is likely to change?

Edited by shadow