Tullioz

All State Colleges and Universities to be Tuition Free Starting in 2017

Headshot

The state colleges I am familiar with have entrance exams. No pass, no enrollment. As well, class sizes are limited and students will not always get the choices they hope for. Students do get turned away now.

That is right. My wife graduated from CNU.

BossHog

The costs beyond tuition can be substantial and sometimes unpredictable.

Not wrong.

Our oldest graduated from Mindanao State University in Marawi this year.

The unexpected costs in the week leading up to graduation were substantial and unexpected.

Included dozens of things like paying them to validate her elementary(!) school diploma.

But it didn't even end after graduation.

They had a program where all graduating seniors were expected to stay on campus for three whole weeks after commencement

to do manual labor cleaning and 'beautifying' the campus.

Unless you paid them a 200 peso per day 'fine' to compensate them for lost labor

if you wanted your kid to actually come home with you after graduation.

Beyond absurd.

• Like 3

BossHog

Free tuition to state universities is nice and all

but the actual tuition in my (recent) experience 

is actually the smallest expense you'll encounter in a given academic year.

Also, as has been mentioned, some state schools are quite competitive and have selective admissions.

The more expensive for-profit institutions, on the other hand, tend to take any paying customer.

• Like 1

rep1

They had a program where all graduating seniors were expected to stay on campus for three whole weeks after commencement

to do manual labor cleaning and 'beautifying' the campus.

Unless you paid them a 200 peso per day 'fine' to compensate them for lost labor

if you wanted your kid to actually come home with you after graduation.

since he's graduated, what authority do they have to ask anything from him? what would happen if he just quits?

Jawny

since he's graduated, what authority do they have to ask anything from him? what would happen if he just quits?

The things BossHog described are spot on. The authority they have is they, the school, possess the transcripts and have no reason to release them unless ALL REQUIREMENTS are met.

Graduating is just one part of the process. Proof of graduation is just as important and unless the school decides you've met their requirements, what is your choice.

The "clean up" process is quite common. My children have to complete various cleaning projects as a result of absences from class or other reasons.

• Like 4

Skywalker

Please feel free to explain all this to the tubes that think it's a really good idea to educate kids here. It's cheap for a reason perchance?

rep1

for the girls perhaps? Isn't this what you guys first came here for? :D

Jawny

for the girls perhaps? Isn't this what you guys first came here for? :D

Such a witty observation. Did you come by this conclusion by getting to know the guys? Anything else that constributes to the discussion?

To be clear, I did not choose to live here "for the girls".