what is the best/cheapest health insurance for expats

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Also guys, don't let yourself fall into a false sense security with your Philippine Blue Cross plans. 

Say you take out a plan in January so you renew said plan each January 1st. You are given the horrible news and diagnosed with cancer on November 15. Things are looking up for you because it is very treatable - but its going to take a good 9 months  of expensive chemo and other therapies. 

Do you really think BlueCross Philippines will renew your policy come January 1? 

If you do, I've got some bridges to sell you.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• TheWhiteKnight

• HTM

• senseless

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends on if you're interested in having insurance AND still paying out of pocket. I am not interested in that. What is the point of insurance if you still need cash or credit to go to the hospita

I got Philhealth for Retired foreigners. It cost me 17,000 pesos for one year and two days later I had an outpatient procedure for a kidney stone and Philhealth sent me a notice saying that they paid

When you walk into the hospital you hand them your card. When you're leaving they take your card and process it. Then they give your card back to you and you leave. You're supposed to ask for a receip

Posted Images

Insular life does offer renewals with existing conditions, but the wording might create some confusion. For example, if the ore existing condition was heart diseas, and then during the coverage period a NEW condition developed (cancer?) would the policy cover both if renewed? Not expecting an answer, rhetorical in nature. A heads up for those interested in Philippines based policies.

http://www.icare.net.ph

senseless

I had the best Blue Cross $2million cap dollar plan you could buy and had problems with them. 

Personally, I wouldn't trust any Philippine owned insurance company with my life. If that means I need to pay up front, so be it. I'd rather deal with a company that I could reasonably expect to hold accountable  in a legal venue that doesn't take a lifetime to resolve matters. 

What was your experience? I've only heard of bad experiences with the peso plan. From the sounds of your second post -- did they let it lapse on purpose?

I've had them for 3 or 4 years now I think? I end up going to the hospital about 2 to 3 times a year for my kid. There was one year where they did indeed pay out more in ER fees than I paid for all 3 plans. The other years are pretty profitable for them.

Edited by senseless
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

What was your experience?

Without getting into all the minute details, I went to the hospital to get something checked out. Doctors decided to admit me and in true Philippine health care fashion went hog wild overkill with tests.

They refused to pay a valid claim. Made excuses. They tried claiming pre-existing condition. 

I had no preexisting condition. 

There was noting wrong with me. It was a pinched nerve and cleared up on its own. 

Since that event I've had a complete comprehensive cardio physical (all day event) and my heart and circulatory system is in perfect condition. So what preexisting condition? A pinched nerve that I didn't know about whose symptoms manifested one day? Hardly. 

The hospital I went to had a resident Blue Cross rep in house and he called my room (at my request) and the excuses started to flow then. If they want to use the preexisting condition clause, they should articulate that preexisting condition. He even made the comment of, "I see you are new with Blue Cross." (I guess they consider six months is new?) So I could see right where that conversation was going, and what he was using to make his decisions - $$$,  not my condition or lack thereof. 

From the sounds of your second post -- did they let it lapse on purpose?

That was a hypothetical example. Do you really believe they would renew your plan if you were diagnosed with a chronic disease such as cancer?

For me, I don't care about paying for the runny noses, sore throats or occasional urgent care needs.  Even in the US. I want to be insured for the catastrophic things, things that would be financially draining or devastating. Blue Cross was really stupid and myopic, they tried to skate on paying a pretty low claim and missed out on years of renewals for me and many employees. I was also considering Blue Cross for the company I ran at the time with several hundred employees. Based on my experience, I strongly believe that when the chips are down Blue Cross PH wouldn't be there for you. 

• Like 1
the.lone.gunman

My health care plan : I can handle any minor issues up to say 100,000p. I have a high limit credit card for extreme emergencies and a business class ticket back to Canada for anything real serious. Not the greatest plan in the world but it will work and I don't have to worry about being hosed by a corrupt and incompetent system.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
TheWhiteKnight
On 1/2/2017 at 2:20 AM, Monsoon said:

Also guys, don't let yourself fall into a false sense security with your Philippine Blue Cross plans. 

Say you take out a plan in January so you renew said plan each January 1st. You are given the horrible news and diagnosed with cancer on November 15. Things are looking up for you because it is very treatable - but its going to take a good 9 months  of expensive chemo and other therapies. 

Do you really think BlueCross Philippines will renew your policy come January 1? 

If you do, I've got some bridges to sell you.

So what insurance did you end up going with that was better?

Davaoeno
On 1/2/2017 at 1:57 PM, the.lone.gunman said:

and a business class ticket back to Canada for anything real serious

Do we assume you are never out of Canada for more than 6 months at a time ? If so I understand that your insurance laps ? In BC anyway . 

Absences Outside Canada [ Ontario]

You may be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during a longer absence when you are away for one of the following reasons :

• Study outside of Canada
  • Work outside of Canada
  • Charitable work outside of Canada

To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during one of these absences, you must first have been physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 12-month periods for 2 consecutive years immediately before the absence. Different physical presence requirements may apply if you are an Ontario student studying full-time outside of Ontario but within Canada, and you choose to continue your studies at an educational institution outside of Canada.

Edited by Davaoeno
angbumabasa

I'n luckier than most with FEHB-BCBS Family Standard Option where all costs outside of US over $350 deductible are as certified. $2,000 in Cebu Doctors Hospital in 2012. They even wanted me to stay for rehab but I opted out to rehab here on the beach. New hospital here is excellent so keeping my insurance .

An aside: I'm 75yo and have had BCBS since my teens even when I paid for it myself.

billy
On January 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM, the.lone.gunman said:

My health care plan : I can handle any minor issues up to say 100,000p. I have a high limit credit card for extreme emergencies and a business class ticket back to Canada for anything real serious. Not the greatest plan in the world but it will work and I don't have to worry about being hosed by a corrupt and incompetent system.

Sounds like you have a plan but not a good one. There are some good doctors here.  Also if your to sick or hurt your not going anywhere

the.lone.gunman
5 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Do we assume you are never out of Canada for more than 6 months at a time ? If so I understand that your insurance laps ? In BC anyway . 

Absences Outside Canada [ Ontario]

You may be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during a longer absence when you are away for one of the following reasons :

• Study outside of Canada
  • Work outside of Canada
  • Charitable work outside of Canada

To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during one of these absences, you must first have been physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 12-month periods for 2 consecutive years immediately before the absence. Different physical presence requirements may apply if you are an Ontario student studying full-time outside of Ontario but within Canada, and you choose to continue your studies at an educational institution outside of Canada.

I stayed in the the PI once for 13 months and my health insurance did lapse. I had to wait a month to be reinstated. Now my trips abroad are always less than 6 months so it never lapses.

musicman666
On 1/2/2017 at 1:00 PM, Monsoon said:

Without getting into all the minute details, I went to the hospital to get something checked out. Doctors decided to admit me and in true Philippine health care fashion went hog wild overkill with tests.

They refused to pay a valid claim. Made excuses. They tried claiming pre-existing condition. 

I had no preexisting condition. 

There was noting wrong with me. It was a pinched nerve and cleared up on its own. 

Since that event I've had a complete comprehensive cardio physical (all day event) and my heart and circulatory system is in perfect condition. So what preexisting condition? A pinched nerve that I didn't know about whose symptoms manifested one day? Hardly. 

The hospital I went to had a resident Blue Cross rep in house and he called my room (at my request) and the excuses started to flow then. If they want to use the preexisting condition clause, they should articulate that preexisting condition. He even made the comment of, "I see you are new with Blue Cross." (I guess they consider six months is new?) So I could see right where that conversation was going, and what he was using to make his decisions - $$$,  not my condition or lack thereof. 

That was a hypothetical example. Do you really believe they would renew your plan if you were diagnosed with a chronic disease such as cancer?

For me, I don't care about paying for the runny noses, sore throats or occasional urgent care needs.  Even in the US. I want to be insured for the catastrophic things, things that would be financially draining or devastating. Blue Cross was really stupid and myopic, they tried to skate on paying a pretty low claim and missed out on years of renewals for me and many employees. I was also considering Blue Cross for the company I ran at the time with several hundred employees. Based on my experience, I strongly believe that when the chips are down Blue Cross PH wouldn't be there for you. 

I had that pinched nerve thing ....all numb down one side...boy did I think it was the heart...but after a ton of tests including a brain scan out of my own pocket it must have been just that.....SCARY for sure at the time.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, saigon46 said:

Tough choice, $200 a month for FEHB or 200 p a month for Phil health.

The premiums for Philhealth have increased recently.  There’s some lengthy threads about the topic in LinC. It’s not the same any more for foreigners.  Price went up significantly, though I dont recall the amount.  Definitely not ₽200/month. 

Also, Philhealth has a lot of copay for some treatments.  

• Like 1

As far as I remember foreigner is no longer covered by wife´s philhealth

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/news/2017/expands_coverage.html

PhilHealth Expands Coverage to Foreign NationalsJune 7, 2017

STARTING July 1, 2017, foreign nationals and former Filipino citizens who have chosen to retire in the Philippines may avail themselves of social health insurance benefits.

Under a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2015 between the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) and the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), qualified foreign retirees who are registered with the PRA or former Filipinos may enrol under the Informal Economy member category to gain access to medical care services in the country.

The MoU aims to further strengthen the collaboration between the two government agencies to promote the country as a retirement haven for qualified foreigners.

Interested foreign retirees in the country may submit the properly filled out PhilHealth Member Registration Form for Foreign Nationals to the PRA Head Office in Makati City or to any of its satellite offices nationwide. Requirements for their enrolment are Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) and a granted permanent residency status pursuant to Section 9 (d) of Executive Order No. 1037. The PRA will facilitate their enrolment into the National Health Insurance Program (NHIP).

Citizens of other countries residing or working in the Philippines with a valid Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card (ACR I-Card) issued by the Bureau of Immigration may submit their PMRF for Foreign Nationals to the nearest Local Health Insurance Office (LHIO).

All member-foreign nationals and their qualified dependents shall be entitled to inpatient and outpatient benefits and other special benefit packages through any of the PhilHealth-accredited health care institutions nationwide. Excluded from their entitlements, however, are the Z Benefit packages, reimbursement for all confinements abroad and benefits for women about to give birth (WATGB).

The annual premium contribution rate for PRA foreign retirees is P15,000.00, while that of other foreign citizens is P17,000.00. They may pay for their premium contributions either quarterly, semi-annually or annually. (Dahlia D. Benedicto)

(Reference: Dr. Israel Francis A. Pargas, Head Executive Assistant and Concurrent OIC-Vice President for Corporate Affairs Group, Tel. 0917-8089399)

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 2