what is the best/cheapest health insurance for expats

Goetz1965

Blue Royal Plan A has some disadvantages 
Surgeon fee is only 30.000$ and Anesthesists Fee is only 40% of that - the private doctors usually charge you as an "americano" so that can be some hundred $ left to pay for you.

ECU package is not available - especially when youre older than 50 that should be done regularly - pay he 200$ yourself on this plus doctors consultaion afterwards or have it included ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWhiteKnight

• Jawny

• HTM

• senseless

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends on if you're interested in having insurance AND still paying out of pocket. I am not interested in that. What is the point of insurance if you still need cash or credit to go to the hospita

I got Philhealth for Retired foreigners. It cost me 17,000 pesos for one year and two days later I had an outpatient procedure for a kidney stone and Philhealth sent me a notice saying that they paid

When you walk into the hospital you hand them your card. When you're leaving they take your card and process it. Then they give your card back to you and you leave. You're supposed to ask for a receip

Posted Images

TheWhiteKnight

A+ International about $1350 per year with $1300.00 deductable  at 59 years of age part of Allianz covers eight  asian countries i think it covers  1 or 2 million dollars you can get 0 deductable add another thousand per year for insurance. i highly recomend them. you have to pay first then they reimburse you.

I have them too but Senseless made a good point on why reimbursement is maybe not the way to go.

Philhealth has a lot of advantages as a medical insurance. Other members can post their success stories as has been done in the past.

I'd like to point out one possible drawback for members who will have philhealth as well as other insurance. In particular, some insurance companies will require the claimant to make clear any other insurance used. This is typical in situations such as vehicular accidents where there may be insurance coverage with the registered vehicle.

I do not use philhealth because of the potential for delays. My main insurance coverage asks me to report if any other coverage is available and being used. This means I can find myself in a situation where I have to wait for philhealth to respond before I can expect any reimbursement from my regular insurance carrier.

I choose to have a cash reserve available for emergencies and get reimbursement sans philhealth involvement.

And what carrier/plan is that? Is it a re-reimbursement plan?

Yes, it is a reimbursement plan. Not a public offering, from an employer.

Philhealth has a lot of advantages as a medical insurance. Other members can post their success stories as has been done in the past.

I'd like to point out one possible drawback for members who will have philhealth as well as other insurance. In particular, some insurance companies will require the claimant to make clear any other insurance used. This is typical in situations such as vehicular accidents where there may be insurance coverage with the registered vehicle.

I do not use philhealth because of the potential for delays. My main insurance coverage asks me to report if any other coverage is available and being used. This means I can find myself in a situation where I have to wait for philhealth to respond before I can expect any reimbursement from my regular insurance carrier.

I choose to have a cash reserve available for emergencies and get reimbursement sans philhealth involvement.

Sure, good point.  At 50 USD per-year it's a card that I think is worth having, even if I'm not going to play it every hand.

TheWhiteKnight

Yes, it is a reimbursement plan. Not a public offering, from an employer.

Well in that case you wouldn't have to wait to hear back from Phil-health before they will act. You are paying upfront for everything anyway, so you'd pay your bill minus whatever PH covered and then you would submit the rest to your insurance company, and they would be quite happy to see PH already took a bite out of it.

Well in that case you wouldn't have to wait to hear back from Phil-health before they will act. You are paying upfront for everything anyway, so you'd pay your bill minus whatever PH covered and then you would submit the rest to your insurance company, and they would be quite happy to see PH already took a bite out of it.

My insurance will not pay for a claim until there is clarification what was paid (or not paid) by another insurance. So, I would pay upfront, as described. But, my reimbursement will wait until I receive confirmation of what was paid (or not paid). That means a wait on philhealth followed by a wait from my own insurance. It is for this reason I choose to not get philhealth. Members of my family have had to wait months to receive compensation from philhealth for their expenses.

What is the monthly cost of Phil health for a a Filipina spouse?

If she has no work or income it's 200/month and she can add you but (and children) there is a waiting time of 3 month I think, she can enroll online but has to add you personally - at Phil health main office here in wireless Mandaue, no waiting time there or not much. Dues can be paid every 3 months at the END of each quarter the latest at any SM or other store where they accept payments.

TheWhiteKnight

My insurance will not pay for a claim until there is clarification what was paid (or not paid) by another insurance. So, I would pay upfront, as described. But, my reimbursement will wait until I receive confirmation of what was paid (or not paid). That means a wait on philhealth followed by a wait from my own insurance. It is for this reason I choose to not get philhealth. Members of my family have had to wait months to receive compensation from philhealth for their expenses.

Wow. I thought PH pays at the time of service, I had no idea it was a reimbursement plan on its own, wtf.

If she has no work or income it's 200/month and she can add you but (and children) there is a waiting time of 3 month I think, she can enroll online but has to add you personally - at Phil health main office here in wireless Mandaue, no waiting time there or not much. Dues can be paid every 3 months at the END of each quarter the latest at any SM or other store where they accept payments.

I wouldn't hassle with that, best to just pay for the whole year at once.

I chose Cigna expat insurance over a Filipino company when I first lived over here, I figured how could I go wrong with a major company like Cigna. What a waste of $$ that was. They claim to have preferred partners here including St Lukes, but they didn't accept it. Also when I tried to cancel the plan they kept charging me and I had to dispute it with my bank. I will go with Pacific Cross if the US govt. stops making me pay for Obamacare.

senseless

I chose Cigna expat insurance over a Filipino company when I first lived over here, I figured how could I go wrong with a major company like Cigna. What a waste of $$ that was. They claim to have preferred partners here including St Lukes, but they didn't accept it. Also when I tried to cancel the plan they kept charging me and I had to dispute it with my bank. I will go with Pacific Cross if the US govt. stops making me pay for Obamacare.

You don't need to pay for obamacare as is. There's a waiver/exemption for those living outside the USA.

http://obamacarefacts.com/questions/330-day-rule-living-abroad-work/

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
batman2525
I recently contacted Pacific Cross for travel insurance and specifically asked if they did direct billing(I actually told them I didn't want to pay anything upfront and be reimbursed at a later date)this is part of the email they recently sent me

Greetings from Pacific Cross Insurance, Inc. – Travel Sales

We have noted your concern and we thank you for inquiry.
Hope this e-mail finds you well. 

Individual plans are applicable for ages 6 weeks old to 75 years of age only.

We have an INBOUND Travel Insurance plan intended for our travelers from outside the Philippines.
Your Itinerary would be UK - PHILIPPINES - UK.

This covers your travel and emergency medical needs while you are traveling within the Philippines.
Premiums are on a per trip basis.

All medical and travel claims are subject to reimbursement. But we accommodate direct settlement in all our plans provided that below claims requirement are met:

·  medically eligible

·  cost is above USD500

·  for confinement only, (not outpatient, not ER outpatient)

·  Hospital is willing to accept direct settlement via wire transfer from Blue Cross. 

So,it saysGreetings from Pacific Cross Insurance, Inc. – Travel Sales

We have noted your concern and we thank you for inquiry.
Hope this e-mail finds you well. 

Individual plans are applicable for ages 6 weeks old to 75 years of age only.

We have an INBOUND Travel Insurance plan intended for our travelers from outside the Philippines.
Your Itinerary would be UK - PHILIPPINES - UK.

This covers your travel and emergency medical needs while you are traveling within the Philippines.
Premiums are on a per trip basis.

All medical and travel claims are subject to reimbursement. But we accommodate direct settlement in all our plans provided that below claims requirement are met:

·  medically eligible

·  cost is above USD500

·  for confinement only, (not outpatient, not ER outpatient)

·  Hospital is willing to accept direct settlement via wire transfer from Blue Cross. 

How would anyone know what hospital is willing to accept direct settlement.....I have emailed Pacific Cross that question but no reply yet.

Edited by batman2525
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Those members all have peso plans and they can be extremely stingy on peso plans always trying to not cover things.

I had the best Blue Cross $2million cap dollar plan you could buy and had problems with them. 

Personally, I wouldn't trust any Philippine owned insurance company with my life. If that means I need to pay up front, so be it. I'd rather deal with a company that I could reasonably expect to hold accountable  in a legal venue that doesn't take a lifetime to resolve matters. 

• Like 1