Sign in to follow this  
Lost

Is having children worth it?

Wrye83

They should all be given honorary Darwin Awards.....

if they are so narcissistic....

Speaking of narcissism....

If someone doesn't live life the way you feel is appropriate they should be erased from the gene pool? OK. I might not like kids but I can respect and understand those who wish to have them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3

smokey

I have a sister who works all her life and never had children instead of kids she has roamed the world from the Great wall of china to the rain forest ... she will work 2 years save and then take 6 months off and just roam worked for her

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4

oscarpears

I don't have children. I made a point about population control. However, i feel a bit peeved presently with the population of the UK rising substantially every year. My sacrifice was for nothing. We are importing "child refugees" aged about 30; into an already over populated island.
We are programed to have children. I long for the children i never had; it puts me a a great disadvantage in the Philippines where i feel the almost overwhelming desire to adopt every poor child i see. 
Yes, i think having children and successfully raising them to happy, well adjusted adulthood is indeed worth it. 

• Like 2

ckfm

No matter what your decision is, it is always selfish. This is the way we were created.

• Like 3

Wrye83

No matter what your decision is, it is always selfish. This is the way we were created.

Agree, almost everyone for having kids has said "it completed me"/"it gave my life meaning"/"it been the greatest joy of my life". Sounds pretty self serving to me. *Tongue in cheek comment for those not picking up on it.*

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I did see a guy at the mall bragging he was 72 years old and just had a baby ... 

Yea, but remember, the child gets Social Security (if the guy's an American), even long after the guy is gone. Quite possibly the only income his family will have after he's dead...

Edited by Salty Dog

Headshot

If someone doesn't live life the way you feel is appropriate they should be erased from the gene pool?

You obviously have no idea what I was talking about. If you voluntarily have yourself neutered (vasectomy), you have removed yourself from the gene pool (since you can no longer pass on your genes). I find it acceptable that anybody who wishes to do that to themselves should be allowed to do so. Since vasectomies are allowed throughout the world, I guess the world agrees with me. Maybe you have just never thought about a vasectomy  as removing ones self from the gene pool, but it certainly is.

ckfm

It's not exactly the same:

Personally, I am glad that there are people in this world who voluntarily remove themselves from the gene pool by having themselves neutered. They should all be given honorary Darwin Awards. It is very likely that they wouldn't make good parents anyway, if they are so narcissistic that they only think of themselves. Changing their minds at a later date wouldn't change that. We should probably encourage anybody who is even thinking about that to proceed with all speed (and they should make sure it is irreversible).

You obviously have no idea what I was talking about. If you voluntarily have yourself neutered (vasectomy), you have removed yourself from the gene pool (since you can no longer pass on your genes). I find it acceptable that anybody who wishes to do that to themselves should be allowed to do so. Since vasectomies are allowed throughout the world, I guess the world agrees with me. Maybe you have just never thought about a vasectomy  as removing ones self from the gene pool, but it certainly is.

First one is very judgemental, second one is more scientific.

• Like 2

Headshot

It's not exactly the same:

First one is very judgemental, second one is more scientific.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In the first post, I was just interjecting a little bit of humor into the topic using the honorary Darwin Award (you have to die to get a real Darwin Award, but there are no real requirements for an "honorary" award). It becomes obvious to me that some people take this subject (vasectomy) really seriously. You would think I had suggested that anybody not wanting children be executed, BUT I DIDN'T SUGGEST THAT AT ALL. I'm just saying that if you want to go get yourself fixed, go for it. I don't care what others want to do to themselves.

ckfm

I think I said it all here.

• Like 2

Paul

Agree, almost everyone for having kids has said "it completed me"/"it gave my life meaning"/"it been the greatest joy of my life". Sounds pretty self serving to me. *Tongue in cheek comment for those not picking up on it.*

I had children so I wouldn't be the only one blamed for lights / tv / stereo / computer being left on, food not being put back in the ref, crayon / magic marker writing on the wall, etc.

• Like 4

ex231

Anyone have advice? Any older guys here without kids?

This may have already been said but I'm not going to go back and read through 8 pages to find out ...

I think having kids is a personal choice. I never had any kids of my own but I ended up raising some that still claim me as dad. So in my mind I went above and beyond and I'm done with kids. The thought of having kids after 60 scares the hell out of me, but to each their own.

• Like 2

colemanlee

The thought of having kids after 60 scares the hell out of me,

Dont be a big pus sy... :yahoo:

• Like 3

Scotsbloke

I don't have children. I made a point about population control. However, i feel a bit peeved presently with the population of the UK rising substantially every year. My sacrifice was for nothing. We are importing "child refugees" aged about 30; into an already over populated island.

We are programed to have children. I long for the children i never had; it puts me a a great disadvantage in the Philippines where i feel the almost overwhelming desire to adopt every poor child i see. 

Yes, i think having children and successfully raising them to happy, well adjusted adulthood is indeed worth it. 

Good post, Oscar.  I actually feel a little like this when I walk down our High Street/Shopping Centre and see how some parents treat their kids - even little toddlers.  OK so they aren't poor as they are 'over there' but they are certainly abused and shouted at in a way that leaves me cold.

This may have already been said but I'm not going to go back and read through 8 pages to find out ...

I think having kids is a personal choice. I never had any kids of my own but I ended up raising some that still claim me as dad. So in my mind I went above and beyond and I'm done with kids. The thought of having kids after 60 scares the hell out of me, but to each their own.

Dont be a big pus sy... :yahoo:

You were one of the posters I had in mind when I made mention of 'older dads'.

• Like 1

colemanlee

You were one of the posters I had in mind when I made mention of 'older dads'.

And its been a blessing for an old hard ass that never got a chance to be home with his first

• Like 1