Lost

Is having children worth it?

Scotsbloke

I'm curious why that is so obvious :-)

Because teenage kids break relationships?

Ah good point and good question, young Sven.  The only obvious thing about it is that I've mentioned it a few times before.

We got divorced when the kids were 7, 8 and 10 and were as delightful then as they are now.

ckfm

2 daughters aged 34 and 32, 4 grandchildren (3 granddaughters 9, 6 and 4, 1 grandson 19 months)

Wouldn't change a thing.

I never regret having children. 'The world is not perfect so why should children be.

I don't like the way some people are twisting this subject. No pun intended.

Edited by ckfm
  • Like 1

Scotsbloke

I don't like the way some people are twisting this subject.

I don't think it's that bad.  I don't hear anyone saying there's a moral duty to breed.

dnl_grout

I'm reluctant as I want her to finish her schooling and I love our freedom to travel the world at will.

First its all about your age, different age groups see life differently.

Second is the cards we have available to make our own game, don't have to work, enough funds so you can eat till your gone.

Being free-Having the funds and the balls to travel only comes along once or twice in a life time.

Most of life has all kinds of strings that prevents you from just going for it none stop.

2005 Cebu: Had the girl lined up, funding, and the freedom to move around every 90-180 days.

I had waited, saved, and planed for four years.

Then out no where there was a minor issue of her wanting a baby "just one"    :huh:

I was 55, go back to work in the states for 18 years!   :killself:   Houston we have a problem     :cry:

She was a good educated woman who stayed true to her self      :girldevil:

Things got     :cold:   .............   :surrender: ............  We are still friends of course, some one has to by pizza for all the sisters on friday night    :friends:

If you don't know what you want just work.  When you know what you want shut up and do it. 

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

33, no kids and my next vacations to Thailand will be for a vasectomy to make sure that I never have any on accident. I have zero tolerance/patience for kids and I want absolutely nothing to do with them. I don't need kids to complete me or give my life meaning. I would have gotten a vasectomy a couple years ago in the Philippines but the doctor refused because of my age and because "god might have plans for you to have kids later" (had to walked out of her office before I smacked the b***h for being unprofessional and pushing her religious beliefs on her customers).

It is really only something you can decide for yourself though. We all have different life goals. To each their own.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You are only 33. You will be a different person at 43. Maybe have something frozen in case u change your mind later.

• Like 2

Headshot

You are only 33. You will be a different person at 43. Maybe have something frozen in case u change your mind later.

Personally, I am glad that there are people in this world who voluntarily remove themselves from the gene pool by having themselves neutered. They should all be given honorary Darwin Awards. It is very likely that they wouldn't make good parents anyway, if they are so narcissistic that they only think of themselves. Changing their minds at a later date wouldn't change that. We should probably encourage anybody who is even thinking about that to proceed with all speed (and they should make sure it is irreversible).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Bishop

I don't have any citations because the studies I read were a long time ago but generally speaking no. Happiest people are on earth are the those married without children. Having children in the west is an easy no for me because of the financial costs and commitment. Having kids here is much much cheaper so I probably will have one if I feel like my Filipina needs it for life fulfillment. As for right now she is fine either way.

Skywalker

Having kids here is much much cheaper so I probably will have one if I feel like my Filipina needs it for life fulfillment.

She will be under enormous peer pressure here.  

The women look down on girls who don't have a baby.  It's almost something many girls might feel ashamed of.  Another piece of cultural crap that needs addressing.

Filipino men often boast about the number of children they have produced, as some sort of indication of their virility and manliness.

The Church says children are a blessing.  It's almost a no-win.  It's a disaster for the Country.

• Like 6

SkyMan

You're thinking all about yourself. How about you think of children?
You have to think about yourself first.  If you aren't happy with it, it won't get better.  Then also think about the kid and what their life will be like.

Can they grow up without fear and worry?
Has any kid ever grown up without fear and worry?

HeyMike

From my own experience, I could not imagine life without my little girl. To love a child and to receive love and joy from your child is hard to put into words. But once you experience it, watching your child go from new born to little girl warms the heart. It sounds sappy, but everyone who has been there knows what I am talking about. I know it may be hard for some to give unconditional love, but for others it will seem as natural as breathing. It's not like my child has me wrapped around her finger.... ok, she does have me wrapped around her little finger, but she does not know it. She is not at all spoiled, and knows how to give and share things with her cousins and others. For me, life without my child would be unimaginable.

I have no problem with people not wanting children. Mature people know what they want and what they don't want and I respect people with their choice. As for me, my little girl is just what the doctor ordered and I am thankful.

• Like 4

ckfm

As I said before, the question is not if you would have children again or have any regrets.

The question could also be, I don't had children before, should I have some now?

To the more extreme posters about having or not, why do you only have one or 2, don't you feel that your other 5 unborn children deserve to live too and would bring even more joy into your life?

Isn't that selfish too?

Edited by ckfm

SkyMan

As I said before, the question is not if you would have children again or have any regrets.

The question could also be, I don't had children before, should I have some now?

To the more extreme posters about having or not, why do you only have one or 2, don't you feel that your other 5 unborn children deserve to live too and would bring even more joy into your life?

Isn't that selfish too?

Lost is the OP of this thread so it's up to Lost what the question is.

HeyMike

There could be as many reasons why some people only have 1 child as there are members of this forum.

smokey

I know its hard but if you really want to see what its like to have children call the Rent a child hotline

• Like 1

delancey

On paper, in theory, I totally get those that think it looks like a bad deal. Before they arrive you can never get the profound joy they create. I guess it's like skydiving, you must actually experience it to get the emotion of it. Intellectualizing doesn't convey it.

• Like 1