Your Festive Food

Scotsbloke

Scotsbloke

I've no interest in Xmas but will have Aylesbury duck next Sunday for my eldest's 18th. Just the 4 of us - me and my 3 kids.

On Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) I've ordered 3 hare and will pan-fry the fillets and make soup/stock from the rest.  There will be 7 of us - my squeeze and her girls.

Fireworks at midnight.

So what are LinC members feasting on over the festive?  When?  Who is cooking?  Who will be in your company?  Any culinary highlights?

• Like 2

Baked ham for the main, I will be the cook, my wife and two kids ,, 11 and 3 ,, along with one or two people we know that would otherwise be alone, in Dysart Queensland Australia.. 

post-3349-0-39941900-1481410236_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Christmas breakfast

sausage links

bacon

scrapple

hash browns

eggs

chocolate chip pancakes

Christmas dinner

oven roasted pork loin

macaroni and cheese

succotash

mashed potatoes and gravy

corn pudding

baked pineapple

dinner rolls and butter

zucchini nut bread

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Admin (Retired)
broden

our Christmas breakfast is always the same

eggnog pancakes and ham steaks

dinner this year will be

a spiral ham 

mashed potatoes
carrots
brussels sprouts
fish not sure what yet.. wife just said she wants some fresh fish
mixed vegetables and chicken
biscuits
gizzard stuffing
wild rice

new years sometimes we get a pigs head
sometimes we dispense with an actual dinner and just make a bunch of different appetizers and deli trays just to nosh on through the day and night

but this year
patatim
and a bunch of sides what ever strikes us .. not sure what yet
oh and 13 round fruits of some kind
Scotsbloke

Baked ham for the main, I will be the cook, my wife and two kids ,, 11 and 3 ,, along with one or two people we know that would otherwise be alone, in Dysart Queensland Australia.. 

attachicon.gifpineapple-mapleglazed-ham-28291_l.jpeg

I love ham.  Is that a common Xmas meal in Oz?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

3 hare

we always have rabbit on easter

• Like 1
Scotsbloke

we always have rabbit on easter

I love rabbit my weans feast on it especially in a paella....did we have this conversation before?  Roger maybe?

Hare (over here) is much harder to get hold of.  I can easily get a skinned rabbit for £5 pair and when I train my ex's dog we can go shooting again and get it for free.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I love rabbit my weans feast on it especially in a paella....did we have this conversation before?  Roger maybe?

Hare (over here) is much harder to get hold of.  I can easily get a skinned rabbit for £5 pair and when I train my ex's dog we can go shooting again and get it for free.

yeah we may of talked about this before

one of the largest if not the largest rabbit producers is in arkansas pel-freez

and by chance when i couldn't find any in the stores i contacted them and found they were willing to sell direct to the public by the case..

we like it stewed, roasted, fried like chicken.. really any way it can be prepared 

• Like 1
Scotsbloke

one of the largest if not the largest rabbit producers is in arkansas pel-freez

and by chance when i couldn't find any in the stores i contacted them and found they were willing to sell direct to the public by the case..

So do you 'over there' have commercial rabbit producers?  For meat?  Not that it's a bad thing.'Over here' All the rabbits you'd see in (only a few) butchers' shops are wild rabbits either shot or netted using ferrets.

Almost no shops would sell hare (jack rabbit?) and to get mine I'd either have to know a local gamekeeper or a specialst dealer.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

So do you 'over there' have commercial rabbit producers?  For meat?  Not that it's a bad thing.'Over here' All the rabbits you'd see in (only a few) butchers' shops are wild rabbits either shot or netted using ferrets.

Almost no shops would sell hare (jack rabbit?) and to get mine I'd either have to know a local gamekeeper or a specialst dealer.

yeah that's what pel freez is a commercial rabbit meat producer..

my brother in the past lived in good places to hunt and trap them so we use to get some from him that way also

i'm sure the butchers around here have them.. but i've never looked as of yet

Scotsbloke

yeah that's what pel freez is a commercial rabbit meat producer.

So what will you have over the festive?  Any special meal?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

So what will you have over the festive?  Any special meal?

yeah look above.. 

i posted.. Christmas dinner changes for us sometimes but breakfast is always the same

• Like 1
Scotsbloke

yeah look above.. 

i posted.. Christmas dinner changes for us sometimes but breakfast is always the same

Missed that, sorry!  BTW, what are ham steaks?

Richard K

Where I grew up it was a mostly old world Italian family's. They did the whole 7 fishes Christmas eve. I miss that.. especially the sausage lasagna Christmas day.

I probably will go out this year. I have no oven here in Phils.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Missed that, sorry!  BTW, what are ham steaks?

you take a nice big ham.. and basically use a band saw to cut it through the bone in to steaks.. fry em up or sometimes we grill them and you get a nice big piece of ham and a little marrow as a bonus

not my pic just grabbed on off the web

jr7S52Q.jpg

• Like 1