Sign in to follow this  
b7335920

Should foreigners worry about the adultery law ?

b7335920

Do you know of any examples of this law causing a foreigner problems ? Extortion , paying a bribe . being arrested ..... And if a filipina says shes "separated" should you avoid her regardless ? Sounds like a law that isnt enforced much. And there must be millions of locals (and a few expats) breaking this law daily

Skywalker

And there must be millions of locals (and a few expats) breaking this law daily

Absolutely.

• Like 2

Alfred E. Neuman

The adulterous foreigner should even be more concerned with the in-laws than the law.

• Like 4

Cipro

Adultery only applies to women in PH, the reasons are historic and were logical when the tradition started. 

Art

Vulnerable people should always worry about the law in the Philippines. 

• Like 5

Jawny

As far as extortion, not sure this sort of information would be easily known. Of course, some member may know if someone who had a situation where they got caught up in some sort of extortion attempt.

As far as legal issues, I do recall reading of instances where charges of adultery were filed, but this was more associated with wealthy individuals harassing in an attempt to gain financial benefit during a divorce proceeding.

Good luck.

HTM
Should foreigners worry about the adultery law ?

Yes!

• Like 2

Headshot

Adultery only applies to women in PH, the reasons are historic and were logical when the tradition started. 

Not exactly true. Men are not charged with adultery for cheating on their wife, but if a married woman is charged with adultery, so is her lover (whether he is married or not). Foreigners should definitely stay completely away from "separated" women. You might get lucky, but the odds are really stacked against you, and if a charge is made, the risks are extraordinary. Guys have been sent to prison for this. It isn't something to be taken lightly.

• Like 2

KennyF

First hand experience follows.

Scumbag husband scarpers straight after wedding and before his kid born.

Not seen or heard of for a couple of years.

Foreigner (me) lives with his deserted wife and kid.

Ex shows up and goes to fiscal and raised hell and wants us served with adultery/concubinage charges.

My lawyer spelt it out for me.

"He knows he can't win but it costs him nothing to raise the charges'

"It costs you A LOT to fight it"

Answer from lawyer:: Either pay him off, which is what he wants, or move so papers can't be served and it will eventually just disappear.

KonC

Edited by KennyF
  • Like 3

liquido

First hand experience follows.

Scumbag husband scarpers straight after wedding and before his kid born.

Not seen or heard of for a couple of years.

Foreigner (me) lives with his deserted wife and kid.

Ex shows up and goes to fiscal and raised hell and wants us served with adultery/concubinage charges.

My lawyer spelt it out for me.

"He knows he can't win but it costs him nothing to raise the charges'

"It costs you A LOT to fight it"

Answer from lawyer:: Either pay him off, which is what he wants, or move so papers can't be served and it will eventually just disappear.

KonC

Report the piece of shite as a drug pusher..he might go away then...

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Either pay him off, which is what he wants, or move so papers can't be served and it will eventually just disappear.

One question, what is the way in that "papers are served" here in the phils then - do I need to sign as a proof that it was served to me or (like in germany) its served as soon the registered post was delivered into your mailbox by the postman.

JamesMusslewhite

Well if they both were arrested, went before the court, found guilty and jailed then with 'good behavior' they soon both be released soon. .

KennyF

Either pay him off, which is what he wants, or move so papers can't be served and it will eventually just disappear.

One question, what is the way in that "papers are served" here in the phils then - do I need to sign as a proof that it was served to me or (like in germany) its served as soon the registered post was delivered into your mailbox by the postman.

I know that in Oz, papers must physicaly be handed to you and I'm guessing the same holds true here.

Anyway, making ourselve scarce worked, we heard no more about it.

KonC