Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

Old Philippine Flag

A_Simple_Man

My lady was telling me how much she enjoyed Philippine history in high school and told me there was an old Philippine flag long before the current one so we googled it.  I can see why they wanted to change it.  Here is the old one.

ph-evol6.gif

A_Simple_Man

History of the Philippine flag

One of the problems with quoting wiki is that it is only as accurate as its contributors.  This site http://pinoyhistory.proboards.com/thread/1161/andres-bonifacio-personal-flag shows the flag I mentioned hanging at the at the "Museo ng Katipunan" , Barangay Bulaklakan, Lipa City, Batangas.  Here is a pic from that site.

2n9951.jpg

Woolf

from wiki

Historical flags of the Philippine Revolution

It has been common since the 1960s to trace the development of the Philippine flag to the various war standards of the individual leaders of the Katipunan, a pseudo-masonic revolutionary movement that opposed Spanish rule in the Philippines and led the Philippine Revolution.[24] However, while some symbols common to the Katipunan flags would be adopted into the iconography of the Revolution, it is inconclusive whether these war standards can be considered precursors to the present Philippine flag.[24]

• 120px-Philippine_revolution_flag_kkk1.sv

The first flag of the Katipunan.

• 120px-Philippine_revolution_flag_magdalo

Flag of the Magdalo Katipunan faction.

• 120px-Philippine_revolution_flag_magdiwa

Flag of the Magdiwang Katipunan faction.

• 120px-Flag_of_the_Tagalog_people.svg.png

The flag adopted by the Republic of Biak-na-Bato in 1897.

The first flag of the Katipunan was a red rectangular flag with a horizontal alignment of three white Ks (an acronym for the Katipunan's full name, Kataas-taasang Kagalang-galangang Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan - Supreme and Venerable Society of the Sons of the Nation). The flag's red field symbolized blood, as members of the Katipunan signed their membership papers in their own blood.[24]

The various leaders of the Katipunan, such as Andrés Bonifacio, Mariano Llanera, and Pío del Pilar, also had individual war standards. The organization was represented in Cavite province by two factions: the Magdiwang faction and the Magdalo faction, with each adopting a flag. Both used a white sun. Instead of the letter K the flags bore the symbol for the syllable ka in Baybayin, the pre-Hispanic writing script of the Tagalogs.

The Katipunan adopted a new flag in 1897 during an assembly at Naic, Cavite. This new flag was red and depicted a white sun with a face. The sun had eight rays, representing eight provinces of the Philippines.[a]

• Like 1