Sign in to follow this  
fred42

Pinoy kids take home 27 medals in math competition

JamesMusslewhite

And you can pretty much know that none of those medals were for 'Participation'.

• Like 1

Paul

Who was it that was talkin' smack about Filipinos having some average IQ of 80, or some other rubbish? 

• Like 6

Skywalker

Srinivasa Ramanujan, one of the mathematical giants of the 20th Century, was born into near poverty in British India.

There is more than enough evidence that proves background isn't necessarily the generator of genius.  Nature, nurture, potatoes and tomatoes and all that.

• Like 1

Dafey

one of the mathematical giants of the 20th Century, was born into near poverty

Mathematics...the universal language!!!

Jawny

If I could design a competition between various nationalities, I'd use a randomized selection of partipants. Perhaps use as a base the current student population. Then, randomly selected students would be the ones to represent their nation. Wouldn't that be fun to watch?

I'd also be sure the questions used were culturally relevant. For example, I'd have each participant be given a cash register from some chain fast food restaurant and a pocket calculator. Then, ten or more "customers" would line up and make orders. The competitor with the least number of errors and fastest time would be given points.

Then I would simulate a taxi with a meter. Each participant would be given a fare on the meter and then handed various currency demonations and scored on the least number of errors making correct change.

As a grand finale for the top notchers, they would be given a budget of a certain amount and then calculate how to spend it for a one month period for a family of five.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

It shows the level of curriculum presently being taught in the Science High School systems here in the Philippines and with over 14,000 Universities world-wide there are four Universities here in the Philippines that rank in the top 900. 

• Like 1

Monsoon

Xavier is a vell well regarded Chinese focused Jesuit school. The Sy family basically built the new location in Nuvali.

Kabisay-an gid

Well done!

streak03

Congratulations to these kids, quite an accomplishment.  Makes me wonder though, what happens to them after they get out of school.  I haven't seen much of that level of thinking done at SM or Ace Hardware.

• Like 1