Sign in to follow this  
gasturbine

Has Chong Hua Lost JCAHO Certification?

gasturbine

I have heard that Chong Hua is no longer JCAHO certified.  Is this rumor or fact? If so why did they loose the certification? Anyone have a clue concerning this? I hope not as Chong Hua is the best Cebu Hospital.

USMC-Retired

No they are no longer accredited

CLICK HERE

hyaku

I think you will find they lost it a long time ago. The report below is from August 2015

https://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/threads/chong-hua-loses-jci-accreditation.15650/

Below is Adam. He appealed to Facebook expats last year for help.  He said due to lack of attention and medical treatment his leg was amputated. Of being just left for hours on end with no attention and bad diagnoses the leg became gangrenous.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/dream-settling-abroad-nightmare/story-27891508-detail/story.html

It was mentioned before

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/85972-chong-hua-no-longer-accredited/page-2

Edited by hyaku

AussieLex

Adams accident happened in September 2014 ... he returned to the UK and came back here to Cebu in maybe September or October 2015  and went back to the UK a few months ago for further surgery to try and mobilise his left arm... while he was here he was my next door neighbour ... Adam told me his story and showed me a copy of the paperwork showing that Chung Hua had lost its accreditation ... He hopes to be back here before Christmas but I haven't heard anything of late ...

I have been treated in Chung Hua and also Cebu Docs in the last couple of years and found both pretty poor for patient care etc ... After talking with a few people who have been hospitalised I believe that UCMed in Mandaue would be the go to hospital in Cebu ...

Edited by AussieLex
  • Like 1

ckfm

I wouldn't be surpried if his treamtment was delayed because the hospital wanted to see money first.

Goetz1965

Chong Hua - this Hospital that has a big CarPark at the "main(?)" entrance - but you are NOT allowed to enter there as a pedestrian - or even use that Entrance as pedestrian to exit - the guard STOPS you when you want to go out as pedestrian to the road.
So Exit and Entry is only allowed there by car - pedestrians MUST use the other entrance 100m to the right 

When we needed a blood test taken the Doc from Chong Hua told us it can ONLY be done in Manila, takes a week for the results and costs 7000php. 
I paid that and they took a blood sample.
Next day they told me that the need another blood sample - as the last was wasn't enough blood - and that I get some money back as they now will do the test in ChongHua itself but it takes 3-4 weeks there.

What kind of hospital is this NOT knowing how much blood is needed for a blood test - AND first telling me that its ONLY possible in Manila but a day later its suddenly possible in ChongHua and costs also 4.500php less ????

I was to different doctors at Cebu Doctors Hospital and a treatment there before too and must say after all I prefer Cebu Doctors Hospital !

Jawny

I wouldn't be surpried if his treamtment was delayed because the hospital wanted to see money first.

It is quite common for surgical procedures to be delayed because blood units need to be on hand before the procedure. A surgeon would be irresponsible to begin a process unless there were adequate ways of dealing with blood loss.

There is an extraordinarily inefficient blood donor system here. Thus, a patient's condition may worsen while the family goes about trying to get donors.

It's easy to fault the hospital for this, but it is just as much a cultural issue as well as bad policy about potential donors. People hesitate to donate because of misunderstandings about the safety of donating. Testing of the blood costs money and it is not uncommon to have some tests skipped but the blood used. Donors are commonly expected to be paid for the "donation".

Skywalker

This is a developing Country.

Write that down 10 times and stop imagining this is Hawaii.

You didn't come here for good, reliable, safe healthcare did you. It's not a question.

I came here for the year 'round summer weather.

• Like 3

USMC-Retired

Here is an interesting ranking of Hospitals in the PH  

CLICK HERE

Headshot

Out of curiosity, I looked at the US part of the rankings. The fact that they even have Tricare in these rankings (let alone so high as 27 in the world) makes me question the ranking's validity. Tricare has no medical facilities. It is basically an insurance organization, and it is a bear to work with outside of the US. It makes me wonder what the people who were doing these rankings were thinking about.

post-6379-0-56310800-1480217396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headshot

Jawny

Here is an interesting ranking of Hospitals in the PH

CLICK HERE

I'm not good at reviewing these sorts of things, but the methodology seems directed more toward the academic and online (internet) qualifications of the facilities listed. That is, I didn't see much that reported on the review of the hostpial staff, surgical care, nursing etc.

From their methodology.."...Cybermetrics Lab is devoted to the quantitative analysis of the Internet and Web contents specially those related to the processes of generation and scholarly communication of scientific knowledge. This is a new emerging discipline that has been called Cybermetrics (our team developed and publishes the free electronic journal Cybermetrics since 1997) or Webometrics."

I'm convinced that the best way to judge hospitals is to use them. Sounds silly, I know. But, by using the facilities some features become readily apparent.

I had a simple surgery done several years back at Chung Hua. I was very impressed (positively) by the surgical staff and facilities. Top notch. However, the nursing staff on the floor and the billing/accounting/records staff are in need of a lot of improvement.

Since then I've used Chung Hua for a variety of services. Nothing seems to have changed, nor did I expect it to. I've learned to lower expectations and be pleased when they are exceeded.

Off topic....I did have a college age child treated at UC Medical and I was very pleased with the professional care. They even dispoatched an ambulance and there was no charge!! In lauded in the bill for the emergency room treatment.

Edited by Jawny

USMC-Retired

Out of curiosity, I looked at the US part of the rankings. The fact that they even have Tricare in these rankings (let alone so high as 27 in the world) makes me question the ranking's validity. Tricare has no medical facilities. It is basically an insurance organization, and it is a bear to work with outside of the US. It makes me wonder what the people who were doing these rankings were thinking about.

attachicon.gifRankings.jpg

I think they are looking at the system of Doctors and the network itself.  I know it has been awesome on Tricare Prime here in Houston.  

• Like 1

Headshot

I think they are looking at the system of Doctors and the network itself.  I know it has been awesome on Tricare Prime here in Houston.  

I agree that Tricare takes good care of you in the US (as an insurance organization). They (and Medicare) took care of everything for me in Utah this summer when I had my heart issues. I had no financial issues. However, if I had the same procedures done in Cebu, they wouldn't have covered anything (because of their rules). I know that for a fact. Nevertheless, my point was that Tricare is NOT a medical institution, and shouldn't be in the rankings at all (let alone ranked 27th in the world). All of those doctors in their lists are also tied to other ranked medical institutions that really do have facilities. None of them work for Tricare. Tricare can't claim them as theirs.

thebob

Nevertheless, my point was that Tricare is NOT a medical institution, and shouldn't be in the rankings at all (let alone ranked 27th in the world).

Objectives

Objectives of the Webometrics Ranking of World's Hospitals

The original aim of the Ranking was to promote Web publication, not to rank institutions. Supporting Open Access initiatives, electronic access to scientific publications and to other academic material are our primary targets.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 1

Headshot

OK. I think I understand now. They were ranking by the organizations' ability to promote themselves rather than on how good they were as medical institutions. That certainly makes the rankings make sense, but you couldn't rely on these rankings for finding the best facility or doctors to treat you if you required medical attention.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1