Sign in to follow this  
Skywalker

Rain water is safe to drink?

Skywalker

I don't understand this.

There are some extreme people here (in Cebu) who claim that the air is so polluted that we are all in danger of keeling over and dying, every time we go near a road.

But somehow the rain water is safe to drink?

There must be something in the water!  Misinformation minefield ahead.

• Like 2

Skywalker

When I am in London, I clean the windows at the house, and the grime that collects on the glass is pretty horrible.

I use a toilet cleaner to strip off the greasy grime.  That grime is directly deposited by the rain.  So, drinking rain water in London?  Certainly not.  :snap:

M.C.A.

Hopefully they don't drink anything coming off the roof because I read somewhere there are pathogens that can make you severely ill.

thebob

It depends on how you collect it. Start collecting directly falling water about 15 mins after it stars raining heavily. It will be fine.

• Like 4

lamoe

It depends on how you collect it. Start collecting directly falling water about 15 mins after it stars raining heavily. It will be fine.

Location, location, location - As Bob indicated -  initial rain washes everything out of the clouds - if downstream of a major city  wouldn't trust it.

We used to have Sulfuric Acid rains downstream of some US cities that killed plants.  Not now.

Dafey

I don't understand this.

There are some extreme people here (in Cebu) who claim that the air is so polluted that we are all in danger of keeling over and dying, every time we go near a road.

But somehow the rain water is safe to drink?

There must be something in the water!  Misinformation minefield ahead.

I'm not surprised that people are suggesting you drink rainwater, however I wouldn't do it.

• Like 3

Skywalker

Hahaha. I wouldn't drink rainwater unless it was an emergency, and there was no San Mig available, and the zombies were closing in.

• Like 4

rep1

tastes good when you walk in the rain for hours, feeling thirsty and it just drops into the mouth.

didn't feel anything bad.

• Like 1

lamoe

tastes good when you walk in the rain for hours, feeling thirsty and it just drops into the mouth.

didn't feel anything bad.

It's the same as lead poisoning (which of course unless it's traveling very fast)  a little bit will not harm you.

Sonny

Hahaha. I wouldn't drink rainwater unless it was an emergency, and there was no San Mig available, and the zombies were closing in.

AHA !!!  I just made the connection !   Always wondered why San Mig has a slight bouquet of diesel particulate.  Bet they brew it with rainwater.    :biggrin_01:

• Like 2

Goetz1965

I only would drink rainwater after it rained at least 30 mins so the air got already cleaned from most of the dirt.

A_Simple_Man

If anyone is seriously concerned about drinking rainwater they have collected in a cistern, is it so hard to order one of these Drinking Water Test Kits and check it once in a while?

https://www.olx.ph/item/drinking-water-test-kit-bacteria-test-lead-test-etc-ID7Eikm.html?p=5&h=717d5348cd#717d5348cd

• Like 1

Salty Dog

There is more uses for rain water than drinking. Washing, showers, flush toilet and so on. Even if a person never drinks it, I'm sure it goes to good use...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oz Jon

Absolutely!

Avoid naturally occurring rain water - you never know what contaminants may be in it!

Personally, I get my drinking water by burning naturally occurring hydrogen in naturally occurring oxygen.

2 parts Hydrogen to 1 part Oxygen.

Easy!

A few glasses of wine helps!

Edited by Oz Jon

NigelandMJ

Here on Camotes, we have been using rain water exclusivly since July this year. Showers, washing, laundry, cooking, drinking etc etc. I do settle it through 5 200 litre drums, then transfer to a 300 litre drum to settle further before pumping up to a 1500 litre tank for general use. I dose each batch with chlorine at the rate of 5ml per 100 litres, also I use ground Moringa seed to clarify and help sterilise each batch. We have had no illness or any other health problems. I dont drink it unless it has been boiled and has tea or coffee in it, but I do brush my teeth using it staight from the tank. The lad I have living here running our tricycle, and doing odd jobs around the place, drinks it all the time and says its the best water. He has not had any health problems at all. I have a 36sqmt roof area for collection, that I do keep clean, it is painted with white roof paint and is not subject to any over hanging trees etc. I clean the bottom of the tanks about every 3 to 6 months, depending on how much sediment is building up.

• Like 5