Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Thank you Tropical Storm Marce !

to_dave007

Woke up this November 25 morning with that excited feeling that I remember from years ago on Christmas morning.  For you see..  Tropical storm Marce passed last night.... and there was a lot of rain..  and I woke hoping.. fingers crossed.. that the new rainwater tank would be full.  And the prayers were answered.  Praise the rain Gods.

Lifted the lid off this morning and there was the water, right to the brim.  Crystal clear..  could see the bottom of the tank 7 feet away clearly.

This is actually our second attempt to fill the tank. The first attempt never made it all the way to the top as there were leaks in the tank.  Leaks that were more MY fault than my workers.  Turned out they knew what needed to be done to seal it, and I didn't.  So the first attempt to fill the tank ended a few weeks back, in failure.

So now we wait to see what happens over the next few days.  Hoping that the outside of the tank remains DRY, and showing no signs of water escaping.

Some details:

- There's actually two tanks.. a small one on the south side of house (three roof spouts) and a larger one on the north side of the house where there was more room (5 spouts). The top of the two tanks are level with each other and the two tanks are linked by a 2 inch pipe to equalize water level between them (and to provide a drain if needed, like when we needed to dump the first tank full).

- At Paul's suggestion couple months back I installed first flush diverter.  Plus there is a home made filter box at inlet to each tank with aluminum screen (1 course 1 fine).  So the inside of tank is remarkably clear.  Filled a bottle from first attempt and could barely see any particulates at all, and several of us tasted the water and found it to be clean tasting, and no one got sick.  Original plan was to use this water for garden only, but since the water seems so clean next year this will become our main water source for the house (everything but drinking).. with a filter to about 5 microns.  Biggest impact that I'm expecting from this is a reduction in the limestone scale that's building up everywhere the water is used.  And I'm a budding tropical gardener, so the rainwater will be much better than the very hard and slightly salty water from the deep well.

- I MAY buy a 1 micron counter top filter too..  for drinking..  but that can wait.. the bottled water service is cheap.  Existing deep well will become the backup, in the driest part of the year.

- Total roof size about 150 sq meters.

- Total tank size (the two together) is about 5500 gallons (21000 liters).  Reinforced concrete with mortar/sahara liner painted with Made in Taiwan water proof sealant.

- I estimate much less than 1000 gallons in the tank before Marce.. so Marce gave us at least 4500 gallons overnight.  I was out looking at the overflows at around 3am and they were not flowing yet, so we must have reached the top close to end of the storm..  last rain here was about 2 to 3 hours ago 

So..  Christmas will be a anti-climax this year.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 6

AussieLex

In Australia, in the distant past I had galvanised iron tanks and we collected rain water for household use and consumption ... we didn't have a first flush system and the only filter was a  sieve with holed in it big enough to poke a match in ... the service outlet was about 4 inches from the bottom of the tank and we drank that water for a few years without any ill effect.... these days and here in the Philippines I would take the extra steps and yes i would readily drink the rain water ...

to_dave007

in the Philippines I would take the extra steps and yes i would readily drink the rain water ...

Agree.  My brothers been on a cistern with water from his roof in Ontario Canada for 30+ years.  They drank the water, filtered.  No one ever got sick.

Edited by to_dave007

Paul

Glad the system isn't leaking.

I may have missed it in an earlier thread. How do you draw water from the tanks?

to_dave007

Glad the system isn't leaking.

I may have missed it in an earlier thread. How do you draw water from the tanks?

So far it isn't leaking..  that we can see.  I'll monitor the water lever for a few days when it's not raining, and hoping it does not go down, and hoping the outside of tank shows no visible leaks.

I have a 1/2 HP Goulds shallow well pump that will be installed on the top of the tank.  I've got out of country guests coming in 6 weeks, then I'm back to Canada for couple months, so for the time being I will just install a manual switch to turn the pump ON/OFF and just pipe the water out into a tub to draw water for out door uses.  When I get back at the beginning of April I'll pipe the water up to the main gravity tank and from there into the house.  I am hoping that the 1/2 HP pump should be able to pump the water 8 feet up form tank plus another 20 feet up to the gravity tank through 25 meters of pipe.

Plus there's a drain valve installed on the two inch pipe used for equalization.  It's not low enough to drain all the way to the bottom, but it empties the small tank and all but a foot of the big tank.  Couldn't get it lower and still get it to drain down the canal. 

• Like 1

Buko Beach

Dave,

Can you post a few pics of your setup?

• Like 1

to_dave007

Buko..  ok..  here you are.. some photo's.

This is the large tank (9' x 9' x 7'). You can see the top of my dirty kitchen on other side of the wall (both sides are mine.. well.. the wife's).

post-16376-0-32452900-1480057062_thumb.jpg

This is the inlet box on top of large tank (same as box on small tank.. see below).

post-16376-0-51010800-1480057075_thumb.jpg

This is 2" pipe to equalize level.  Running beside dirty kitchen, and through wall, to big tank. There is a drain valve installed at the T just before the dirty kitchen, directly into canal that drains to culvert at the road.

post-16376-0-74078000-1480057087_thumb.jpg

This photo is from same place as last picture, but in other direction down the blue pipe to the small tank (I think 3' x 4' X 5')

post-16376-0-70627200-1480057100_thumb.jpg

This is top of small tank, showing the inlet box.

post-16376-0-98912700-1480057112_thumb.jpg

This is the inlet box, with 2 screens and room for a third if needed.  3" inlet pipe, 4" overflow pipe, and 3/4" or 1" blue inlet pipe from deep well if I ever need to use it (right now it's capped off). 

post-16376-0-33191500-1480057125_thumb.jpg

Inlet box with the two screens removed.  Made then from all aluminum, with epoxy cement to hold the screen firmly to the frame.  Notice the U channel to hold both screens (the flat screen sits snug over the channel inlet holes to tank and keeps mosquitos out).

post-16376-0-21387300-1480057138_thumb.jpg

This is first flush diverter for small tank (big tank is same). It's slightly undersized from what was recommended, but I can expand it if needed.  Doesn't look like it will be needed. At the tank you can see the 3" inlet pipe and the 4" overflow pipe going straight through wall to canal. If you look closely you can see deep well a bit further up the hill behind here (with red gate).

post-16376-0-84184800-1480057149_thumb.jpg

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 4

Buko Beach

Dave,

I like your dual screen setup so much that I think I'm going to have to borrow your idea when the time comes for my rainwater collection system.

Thanks for the pics.

noddle

I don't understand this.

There are some extreme people here (in Cebu) who claim that the air is so polluted that we are all in danger of keeling over and dying, every time we go near a road.

But somehow the rain water is safe to drink?

There must be something in the water!  Misinformation minefield ahead.

As said earlier

At Paul's suggestion couple months back I installed first flush diverter

This would get rid of most of any air born crap I would think..

• Like 1

to_dave007

Dave,

I like your dual screen setup so much that I think I'm going to have to borrow your idea when the time comes for my rainwater collection system.

Thanks for the pics.

My goal with the inlet box was to keep the following OUT of the tank: rats, mosquitos, leaves and sunlight.  I do have a small problem with the little lizards, but I think I can solve that next year with a different cover.  we'll see.

Main thing I liked about the way I did the screens is that they are all aluminum (i.e. no rust)..  and easy to fabricate and replace if needed. The U channel was the hardest to find, but was useful both to make a holder for slide in screen and a raised deck for the flat screen to sit on.  With the help of course from one of my favorite materials.. epoxy cement..  BTW.. they were actually quite cheap to make too.

• Like 2

to_dave007

No visible leaks anywhere.  Water level at top of tank appears to have not changed at all after 24 hours.  So far so good. 

I'm no expert on concrete water tanks, but I'm assuming that the main reasons the tank may spring a leak now is earthquakes and repeated heating/cooling under the sun.  That's one reason big tank will have a roof over it with a locked gate.. plus it'll protect the pump..  and the water (from three 6 year old boys mostly.. I don't want them peeing on the manhole cover...  and provide some storage.  I plan to install a trellis with some kind of vines to shade most of the small tank.

Hopefully the electrician and plumber arrive today and we'll get at getting the pump installed.

• Like 1