• Commercial Banner Advertisers

JamesMusslewhite

Building a Small Lobster Hatchery here in the Philippines

Dafey
1 hour ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

The fishermen here will often catch lobsters in the waters around the island, both the Panulirus ornatus and the Panulirus homarus.  

Any photos of your crops? How much are you wholesaling your lobster for these days?

JamesMusslewhite

The last couple of days I have been cutting lengths of bamboo to build a floating lobster grow-out platform which will house a 6meter x 6meter x 2meter net enclosure which will have bamboo walkways surrounding the new enclosure. With luck it will be completed in the next three weeks, and I will be making a Youtube video of this project showing from from beginning thru completion. which I will add to the thread once completed. 0.png.2e2b484b3ff08319160c3e5df30851fa.png

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite
3 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Any photos of your crops? How much are you wholesaling your lobster for these days?

I have nothing in the Dinagat Island nets right now. There were lobster buyers here yesterday. We allow them to setup in one of our bungalows as it is convenient for our neighbors to have to buyers come here, rather then the lobster farmers to have to travel to the city. We only charge the buyers 100php for the bungalow and they generally there for half a day every 2-3 weeks.

The price of course fluctuate but as of yesterday morning 

Sub-adults 500gram to 700gram ----------- 3,200php (per kilo)

Adults 700gram to 1,000grams ------- 3,400php (per kilo)

Adults above 1,000grams ---------------- 3,600php (per Kilo)

Note: (1 kilogram = 1,000grams)

• Like 2

TequilaSunset

Great video and educational, thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Thanks 1

Dafey
2 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

The price of course fluctuate but as of yesterday morning 

Sub-adults 500gram to 700gram ----------- 3,200php (per kilo)

Adults 700gram to 1,000grams ------- 3,400php (per kilo)

Adults above 1,000grams ---------------- 3,600php (per Kilo)

Note: (1 kilogram = 1,000grams)

Wow...nice wholesale price! Is your market strong?

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

I received a PM from a forum member that asked me two questions. What is the difference between aquaculture and mariculture? And why are so many photos missing from the thread?

Well as to the first question aquaculture is the rearing of aquatic species primarily for a market. Take a goldfish for example, if you raise goldfish as a hobby your a goldfish enthusiast who decides to breed goldfish and raise them to sell to other goldfish enthusiast, you are just still a goldfish enthusiast whose hobby got a little out of hand but you are doing aquaculture. And if you buy goldfish fingerlings and raise them to adult size then you are probably a pet store owner who really sucks at selling goldfish fingerlings, but it is still aquaculture..  .

Now when dealing with a market fish like catfish if you are breeding them in a hatchery and rearing them to market size that is aquaculture, or if you are buying catfish fingerlings and then raising them to market size that is also aquaculture.

But when dealing with saltwater market species this is different: if you are breeding milkfish in a hatchery this is referred to as mariculture, and if you purchase milkfish fingerlings and then raise them to market price this is aquaculture. So a lobster hatchery is mariculture, where as a freshwater cray hatchery is aquaculture. This is why I use the term mariculture when discussing the lobster hatchery, and why I use the term aquaculture when discussing lobster 'grow-out'. 

Now as to the missing photos there is nothing I can do about that. I would have to completely restart the whole thread from the very beginning which would merely be an exercise in futility, as later photos will most likely begin to disappear from the replacement thread. Sorry this is simply beyond my control but I am looking for a more viable solution to remedy this issue.  :biggrin_01:.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2

JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

For over two decades the Philippine lobster 'grow-out' aquacultural industry has a annual 5% growth rate. I have been contacted by quite a few buyers asking when we will have product, and I am located in the very heart of the Caraga/Dinagat Islands lobster industry. The local demand will probably always exceed my supply., no mater much I ramp up my production. The natural seed supply restricts the growth of the industry as the availability of pueruli and juveniles really occurs from March thru August which is the peak collection season. The advantage with the hatchery is I will start off producing 3 brood crops a year only housing 3 females and 2 males. By adding additional breeder pairs and adding additional 'grow-out' larval pots and pueruli 'grow-out' holding trays production could increase to 12 brood crops yearly.

One single 2 year old female 'P. 'ornatus'' weighing 1.2 kilos in 2002 housed in a NZ hatchery was documented to have bred 3 times in one year releasing a total of 1.6 million eggs of which over 1.2 hatched.  This means I can have a continuous regular supply of pueruli and juveniles even live-releasing upwards of 60% of my total yearly output back into the wild.  I simply will not have to room to house them. 

• Like 4

JamesMusslewhite
57 minutes ago, Dafey said:

How would I attach a 24 page PDF to this thread? It is the Feasibility Study for this hatchery project which I put together for the  Department of Fisheries.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

This is the final draft of the 22 page Feasibility Study which I wrote for the Department of Fisheries. There is quite a bit of information on the hatchery project and the island layout, as well as the Philippine 'grow-out' aquacultural industry. Perhaps some of the readers may find this information of interest.

5a8062871f9d5_CoverArt.thumb.jpg.31aa218489810f226964135ec273c2fc.jpgd)

Feasibility Study - final draft (Short-size).pdf

(Clink link  above to download PDF file)  

JamesMusslewhite

I decided to split this thread because of the next three projects I am working presently working on. These projects are a bamboo floating lobster 'grow-out' net which will be the first of several that I will probably be constructing this year. A prototype PVC floating pueruli/juvenile 'grow-out' net cage which will be the first of many which will be used in the saltwater pond behind the facility. And three types of pueruli trap setups used to live-capture seed stock (fingerlings).

This should allow the photos, videos and written information to be better organized while helping to avoid the subjects from overlapping, this is to make the different topics easier to be followed rather than being scattered among the information contained in this thread. This will also allow the information pertaining directly to the lobster hatchery project to be easier followed once the construction starts back up in the next couple of months. Then there will be multiple projects being worked on at the same time for the next two to three years, which certainly clutter the thread and make the information which will be discussed in the new thread to be hard to follow. 

NgitsCarlo

Hello Sir James 

Would you know where to buy lobster fingerlings? My aunt actually purchase 83 fingerlings last week in Surigao, I wonder if it is possible to import fingerlings from other country? Please advise? Or is it risky? TIA