• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

A Culture of Corruption?

sjp

I believe that the people brought to the US were only Africans [ and not at all Americans] and that the main reason that they didnt excel much is because they were owned slaves. I wont discuss reiligion but I dont see what "god fearing" has the slightest thing to do with what kind of filipinos that want to see a change in this country.

Maybe if you were god fearing you would understand. And we all know they were Africans and not Americans ( I dont know why you said that ). My point was that the now Blacks have come a long way since being slaves and a lot of it has to do with Leadership

fanboat

Lots of people still do

Cary

I wonder why no one has asked the question; if the RP is fine as it is why are its best and brightest willing to leave either as OFWs or on their own> We all know that answer, its the governance, not the people that is the problem. Until that changes along with a mindset change we might as well get used to what we are seeing.

fanboat

We need to get off our high horses and stop judging these people. Maybe if we were in the same situation as them from the very start ( born and raised here ) we would act the same. Poor education, little or no hope, Very few jobs to be had and a government that doesn,t give a sh#t about them.

When the US first brought Blacks over to there country they didn,t excel much until they started to get a good education and a little opportunity and a few good men to lead them ( Martin Luther King ). Thats what the Philippines needs today is a few good men or women in the right places leading the way to change. There are a lot of good god fearing and honest Filipinos that would love to see a change in their country and would vote for and follow them ( as long as the bribes weren,t to high from the other candidates )lol. I have noticed a lot more friendliness and honesty that unfriendly and dishonest but sometimes desperation makes you do stupid things.

Speaking of stupid things.

Me and my honey were on a long 3 hr bike ride coming home from moalboal(it was election day)the streets were lined with people and adorned with banners and ribbons.really quite nice to see.the big draw turned out to be locals with their hand out collecting peso for a promised vote :closedeyes:

Psst!

A conversation concerning corruption in the Ph always comes up in every Fil-Am gathering I attended. It usually starts when someone talks about going home, and the conversation will usually drift to how the airport customs hoard things and robbed travelers with items they brought with them to PH

questsea73

One of the most important essentials to creating change in a society much in need of it and with brutal/corrupt/individual life is meaningless type control at the top is what the early settlers in North America(USA) had--firearms. Almost every household, rural or city had at least one rifle in it. Firearms plus the will to use them and risk your life standing side by side with your neighbors against tyranny goes a long way toward making major changes in society. The colonists threw off the British who were bleeding the American colonies much as colonies have been bled for centuries since. And their complaints against the British are probably about 25% of what the complaints of the common people in PI would/should be now against the major landowners, huge capitalists, the Church, politicians, many gvmt agencies such as Customs, local police, etc.

Countries which have the conditions where such actions are called for make it a point to have extremely strict gun control laws and the common people do not own firearms of any kind. Revolutions have to start with machetes/cane knives, brick-throwing, etc which starts them off with a high chance of failure.

Ken

thebob

Corruption persists because it is accepted. I don't buy the argument that it is the same everywhere.

Corruption Perception Index

The problem here is that it is carried out with impunity. Many members of society here, say one thing and do another. There is an agreement that some things are wrong, but that these rules only apply to others. There seems to be a real belief by many, that they are always a special case.

Corruption is endemic, and visible at all levels from kindergarten up. Family power is used for advancement and any one who questions the status quo, is labeled jealous.

It's a tough nut to crack, and so far nothing has been attempted.

The first step would be to purge the judiciary. The needed checks and balances are just not in place.

Next the power of LGU needs curtailing, and accountability enforced.

Finally a transparent system will prevent abuses reoccurring.

Will any of this ever happen? I doubt it.

aussiedon

Corruption persists because it is accepted. I don't buy the argument that it is the same everywhere.

The problem here is that it is carried out with impunity. Many members of society here, say one thing and do another. There is an agreement that some things are wrong, but that these rules only apply to others. There seems to be a real belief by many, that they are always a special case.

Corruption is endemic, and visible at all levels from kindergarten up. Family power is used for advancement and any one who questions the status quo, is labeled jealous.

The first step would be to purge the judiciary. The needed checks and balances are just not in place.

I agree 100% especially your last line, SO I figure that what ever I do wont change anything or make me feel any better, so for me , lifes to short as it is, I'm not gonna worry about this or worry about the meteors colliding with earth or whatever, spend your valuable time that you have left enjoying what you like to do.

mpt1947

The reason Catholics break their own rules is because they don't believe there is a heaven...... Why would anyone steal and commit adultery knowing the result will be everlasting damnation??

The catholic faith is just culture.....they don't believe in it.

Tell me, where do you get your information on the Catholic Church?

For most of the last 45-50 yrs I have been what can be described as a Fallen Away Catholic. I came to the Philippines, met a woman and fell in love with her.

She is a devout Catholic and as such I have made an effort to come back, as much as I can, to the Church.

I just went through a 12 week program of Couples for Christ. We discussed many aspects of Christianity and the Catholic Church - not once in the 12 week period did we discuss that Adultery, Stealing, Corruption was acceptable behavior as Christians, or as Catholics.

We confess our sins so that we will be in a state of grace to spend eternity in Heaven with God and to Avoid the "pains of Hell"

The reason that Catholics, like all people, break their own rules and commit sins, is because we are human and as humans we are not perfect - we pray and ask God for strength to live our lives as Christ did and try to do a better job tomorrow

I do not know what if any religion you may practice, but it has to be tough to live your life perfectly -

Cary

Correct Bob. One way to stop it is through the election process. It works. But the people have to be informed. Case in point; tonight at 10:45 on Channel 5they are going to have a debate on the divorce bill. Just like they did with Channel 2 a month a go with the abortion bill, it will be on Sunday, late Sunday when most people are too tired from their day in mass and socializing. What is left for the people to learn about the divorce bill? Through Kris Aquino and other stars on Wowwowee. I am serious. This is how most people get their news here. They need to study the issues and put in reps who have their same views. It wont end it but it sure would clean up a lot.

Edited by Cary

Davolives

Maybe if you were god fearing you would understand. And we all know they were Africans and not Americans ( I dont know why you said that ). My point was that the now Blacks have come a long way since being slaves and a lot of it has to do with Leadership

mmm sounds like an attack on my relgious beliefs [ or at least what you guess them to be ]

You dont know why i said it? it was only to demonstrate how trying to be so very politically correct can end up being so silly

sam12six

...for the record.. self serving assholes are everywhere, and every country. The USA is no different. The difference is we, the citizens, can make changes if we the "citizens" wake-the-hell-up!

Do you really believe that? I don't.

In my memory, on the national level, the only politicians who consistently vote in line with their campaign speeches are Paul (senior) and Kucinich. In the last run-up to the presidential election, they were both smeared as "loons" by the media - after a little while, most of the people I spoke to followed suit.

The truth of the matter is in any country that holds elections, the people with the most money behind them get elected. For the US, they give us the illusion of different parties with different stances, but I've never really seen a difference in their behavior, just their talking points. In the brief period where there's a strong majority of either party, do they undo what they claim are the sins of their predecessors? No. When the heavily Democrat congress was claiming Bush had committed war crimes both in the torture thing and in the Iraqi invasion, did they keep funding the activity over there? Yep.

From what I see, there's one party - the elite party. They just give us a choice of which of their candidates gets to wear the president hat.

If you talk to any average citizen who's not an extremist (Bomb everyone in the Middle East, or dismantle the military altogether), everyone has the same concerns and polls show that the overwhelming majority feel pretty much the same on most major issues. For some reason though, our government "by and for the people" never reflects these opinions.

It's like everyone in the country understands that what we need is a good serving of vegetables, but the chef is offering us a choice of a pepperoni pizza or a hamburger pizza. As the really wealthy own everything (politicians and media included), I can't ever see enough people getting on the same page to change things because people have fallen in the trap of bitching about the "other side" when both sides act and vote the same way.

johnormoc

Every country has it's degrees of corruption. One only needs to look at the US banking debacle and subsequent bailouts for proof. But in the Philippines, the corruption has permeated every level of society to the point that it has become an ingrained aspect of the culture. The most corrupt are the ones in charge or with high paying salaries in the public services sector of the government. My own experience resulted in my selling of a potentially lucrative ferry/cargo boat as we just couldn't keep up with the corruption demands of the Coast Guard and Port/Maritime Authority. The demands would often exceed more than half of our daily income. We had to pay or we were told that we'd not be given clearance to travel.

I personally believe that these people didn't think they were doing anything wrong. They felt they were entitled to a cut of my business and seemed dumfounded that I didn't agree with their disposition. It is this misguided belief that corruption is a part of normal business that allows them to go to church on Sunday with a clear conscience and ignore the hypocrisy.

Things won't change until there is a will to change it starting with teaching young students ethics in middle and high school. But the people that would have to be the driving force behind this effort are the government decision makers that benefit the most from the current system so nothing will ever change.

Cary

Well said John.

I personally believe that these people didn't think they were doing anything wrong. They felt they were entitled to a cut of my business and seemed dumfounded that I didn't agree with their disposition. It is this misguided belief that corruption is a part of normal business that allows them to go to church on Sunday with a clear conscience and ignore the hypocrisy.

Things won't change until there is a will to change it starting with teaching young students ethics in middle and high school. But the people that would have to be the driving force behind this effort are the government decision makers that benefit the most from the current system so nothing will ever change.

Experienced

Once you start to believe that everyone else is corrupt, you may well feel you need to join the game just to keep up... Don't be a sap! People will do, in general, whatever they think they can get away with (or at least as much as their conscience will let them rationalize). In the 3rd world countries everywhere you have petty bureaucrats and service personnel extorting a little baksheesh for every transaction if they can get away with it. In the US you vendors showing buyers (especially 3rd party buyers... think "prescribers") with gifts, vacation travel, strip clubs, conference boondoggles, complimentary product, etc. Or if you prefer the retail level, look at insurance claims, reporting of cash income (or out of state sales tax), "tipping" for a good table at a hot restaurant, to name just a few. The dollar value of corruption in the US surely dwarfs that of any 3rd world country.