Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Filipinos ?

mattwilkie
Matt, that is truly an interesting story.

While I do see the reasons for the concern of the Filipinas regarding Wow! fighting, Bob would have gotten a bit upset.

Wow! fighting on Sunday is one of the few releases that the average working Filipino male has. They work the other six days (yes I know that many don't) so it's Sunday after Church for some fun.

The problem lies in the fact that in many cases in this country, it becomes an addiction. No, not watching the fights, gambling. Plus the fact that the vast majority of the men really can't afford to loose any money from their meager earnings. Hence the apprehension of the Filipinas. It's a real problem here! I know first hand from Kristine's family.

Regardless of the reasoning, it would make me feel uncomfortable that I was being watched and controlled in this manner. I have been around long enough to know what's what. I would expect a reasonable amount of trust. I would not accept the goings on behind the scenes without a sit down to discuss my discomfort with being manipulated.

But if Matt is easy going and able to deal with it, so be it. I know he's a smart man.

I agree. It would also make me feel uncomfortable being controlled by relatives of my wife. Nobody ever says anything to me when I do stupid stuff, drink too much etc. That's part of the freedom here in the Philippines. Hell, I had that before with my ex-wife, why would I want go back?

Its a swings and roundabouts situation. Some members of family spend time and money on a hobby that does cost money they shouldnt be spending. Also its something that has gone through generations. But on the other hand there have been discussions to developing the family

compound and lands and the answer is do whatever you want, so although the cock fighting is a no something positive is always well supported. I could make an issue over the way I was stopped from going to the cock fight but this would more than likely cause a dispute and

my wifes aunt would see it more of looking out for me rather than interfering... which from her experiences from her brothers and father in the past it would be very difficult to make it known that I should make my own decision on the subject. Also the fact that when I do need advice I may no longer get it..lol

ArieBombarie

My wife is diplomatic ill give a prime example. I was sat drinking with Aprils uncles and we were discussing cock fighting when I got invited to a cock fight the following day at 1pm. Everyone agreed its ok but im not allowed to gamble because my wife wouldnt be happy.

I went back to my house spoke to my wife about it and asked if she minded.. answer was no its fine as long as no gambling and i agreed.

1pm no one arrived :-/

3pm still no one..

there were supposed to be 4 of us going...

New Years eve, sat drinking with one of Aprils uncles and he apologised about not going to the cock fight he and the others had been forbidden to take me by

Aprils aunt. Who was the main bred winner in the family after illness in the family making sure the uncles finished theyre studies.

So although my wife can say yes or no i think a lot of major decisions are taken care of already..

well it is a lot easier to tell her relative that she is not pleased then tell you 'no' I guess, if she wanted you to go she might have instructed them to show up :)

well good for them, these breadwinners are breaking their backs to get people through school and they seldom put their foot down, she would actually have to finance these guys party/gambling as well had they shown up

Edited by ArieBombarie

ArieBombarie

I agree. It would also make me feel uncomfortable being controlled by relatives of my wife. Nobody ever says anything to me when I do stupid stuff, drink too much etc. That's part of the freedom here in the Philippines. Hell, I had that before with my ex-wife, why would I want go back?

there seemed a clear case of financial dependence, these guys gave up their independence by not being financially independent but of course you are always free to buy these guys out and take over that responsibility :P see how eager you are for them to have fun on your money :) I gladly pay somebody education, housing and food (well if they study so invest in their future) but they can damn well work for their own beer and leisure time.

Paul

I was searching for something and just found this old thread I wrote.

I tell ya, folks, some of these posts I have written over my years in the Philippines. Well, I amaze myself in them. LOL

Stranded Shipscook

I was searching for something and just found this old thread I wrote.

I tell ya, folks, some of these posts I have written over my years in the Philippines. Well, I amaze myself in them. LOL

You wrote longer posts then. :stooges:

ArieBombarie

haha not realised I had revived such an old thread, so Paul you still back that opinion?

EAGLE

This gentleman posted an email to the PhilippineDreams1 Yahoo Group, asking me some questions. I felt as though I would show the reply here, especially hoping Filipinos would reply to this topic:

-------------------------

Hi SF,

In reply to :

"is there any case that you could meet and marry a fillipina, and bring her back to the states, and not have it a disaster?" - By SF

Of course there are.

Paul

Living In Cebu Forums

That is a "Given".

A truth, an accepted FACT.

Without any doubt whatsoever.

IMHO

EAGLE Tom

Edited by EAGLE

Paul

That is a "Given".

A truth, an accepted FACT.

Without any doubt whatsoever.

IMHO

EAGLE Tom

And so is the opposite. The question is, are they, you, whomever, willing to take the chance that it won't? I damned sure wouldn't do it again. And, you can bet there are tons of other guys who wouldn't either.

Stranded Shipscook

I do not think the location of a "couple in love" matters. Yes, there are difficulties to overcame, but this applies the same to a "white Guy" coming here and living in the Philippines.

Although the open mentality, youth, and general adaptiveness of Filipinos helps a great lot in the integration.

But still, the first thing she experience is a cultural shock.

After a while this may change, but requires a lot of help and understanding from the white guy.

Hopefully he has been to the Philippines and really understands the country so he can act accordingly and not simply "force the person to change, but rather teaches and guides.

washingtonian88

I do not think the location of a "couple in love" matters. Yes, there are difficulties to overcame, but this applies the same to a "white Guy" coming here and living in the Philippines.

Although the open mentality, youth, and general adaptiveness of Filipinos helps a great lot in the integration.

But still, the first thing she experience is a cultural shock.

After a while this may change, but requires a lot of help and understanding from the white guy.

Hopefully he has been to the Philippines and really understands the country so he can act accordingly and not simply "force the person to change, but rather teaches and guides.

Ahhhh, that's so sweet...

My honey uses the words, straighten up, polishing up and TRAIN... :scratch_head:

Hahahaha. LOL

• Like 1

Stranded Shipscook

Ahhhh, that's so sweet...

My honey uses the words, straighten up, polishing up and TRAIN... :scratch_head:

Hahahaha. LOL

he may be just looking for the right words... but i am sure he is a lovely person and did a great job to help you out in your new environment. As we can see in your posts. :scratch_head:

washingtonian88

he may be just looking for the right words... but i am sure he is a lovely person and did a great job to help you out in your new environment. As we can see in your posts. :thumbsup:

Well, thank you Sir!

A personalities, both he and I... I'd say it's not that he's a great teacher by any means, just that I am an awesome student, you see :biggrin_01: <toink>

All that my other half could really wish, is that he didn't make a monster out of a very naive, selfless, sweet little angelic girl out of me whose main designation in life is to please him. :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha....

ArieBombarie

I wonder if there is a difference to what country a couple immigrates, maybe I generalize a bit but I find Filipino society pretty materialistic and the US as well maybe it is not a great combination (the US Filipino relatives just seem to be interested in showing off it seems), I don't really believe so much in the evil influence of western culture, but of course if somebody moves to the west a whole lot of new opportunities open up for somebody and somebody has to change to adapt as well.

tylerthedude

I read somewhere that of all the asians abroad, Filipinos have the most rapid rate of

assimilation. According to Winston Emano, Part of the Filipino problem is that they blend

so well. Put a Filipino in Antarctica, and in one month they'll be one with the penguins. ( Yay! I saw

the Happy Feet Movie ).

Before when I'm still Ignorant, I thought all americans are rich and I could easily think assume that all

Foreigners that visit the PI are kanos even though they are from europe. :crack-up:

Very true. Many Pinoys who migrate to the US often look down on Filipinos back in the Philippines and consider them backwards even though many of those "left behind" have higher educational attainment and live out middle class values. To each his own?

Justin Kredible

Very true. Many Pinoys who migrate to the US often look down on Filipinos back in the Philippines and consider them backwards even though many of those "left behind" have higher educational attainment and live out middle class values. To each his own?

Congratulations. You just rezzed and quoted a six year old thread.

:yahoo: