yee

Cheapest Shipping - US to Phils/ Cheapest Money Transfer - Phils to US

yee

Hi All,

Help please. My friends will be shipping stuff over on a quarterly basis from TX and CA.

Curious to know your insights on 1.) Cheapest way (company) shipping from TX and CA to Cebu and Manila and 2) Cheapest way to transfer money from Phils to US.

While I'm at it, if it won't be too much, I'd really love to know what stuff from the US would expats love to be available here in Cebu.

We're doing our own research but I thought members here may have good insight on it. Thanks in advance. I will really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Enuff

I'd really love to know what stuff from the US would expats love to be available here in Cebu.

Turkey Hill Ice Cream, Texas beef and Vermont fresh free range organic eggs.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Jawny

Vidalia onions, large beefsteak tomatoes, real popsicles.

• Like 5

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, yee said:

Hi All,

Help please. My friends will be shipping stuff over on a quarterly basis from TX and CA.

Curious to know your insights on 1.) Cheapest way (company) shipping from TX and CA to Cebu and Manila and 2) Cheapest way to transfer money from Phils to US.

While I'm at it, if it won't be too much, I'd really love to know what stuff from the US would expats love to be available here in Cebu.

We're doing our own research but I thought members here may have good insight on it. Thanks in advance. I will really appreciate it!

sounds like you and your friend are putting together a business.  maybe post what items you have already in mind and see what the reception is on the forum.  the only thought that comes to mind food-wise is best stick to factory packaged non-perishable stuff.   

• Like 2

towboat72

Some good beef jerky

yee
30 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

sounds like you and your friend are putting together a business.  maybe post what items you have already in mind and see what the reception is on the forum.  the only thought that comes to mind food-wise is best stick to factory packaged non-perishable stuff.   

Yup. That's right. Right now, we're sticking to non-perishables... Girl stuff, mostly. Perfumes, lotions, make-up, bags and shoes. Going into the Christmas season, we may add a few other stuff in based on orders. Mostly, stuff we (Filipina girls) like from the US.

How about you guys, any brands you're missing that you'd like to be available here?

12 minutes ago, towboat72 said:

Some good beef jerky

We'll look into this one. Possibly get a few ones in first and see if the market likes it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris24

From the thread title , I thought I might see something that I've been waiting 19 years to see - - - and that's  pesos being converted to dollars and sent back to the U.S.  Have yet to see that actually happen...….

Edited by Chris24

yee
1 minute ago, Chris24 said:

From the thread title , I thought I might see something that I've been waiting 19 years to see - - - and that's  pesos being converted to dollars and sent back to the U.S.  Have yet to see that actually happen...….

Well, it is that - Pesos converted to dollars, sent to someone in  the US >>> but maybe you had a different reason in mind.:)  Mine's for business.

Dafey

As far as shipping economics and logistics it depends largely on weight and volume. 

If I was shipping quantities from the US I'd consider shipping in Coolers. Prices of these in the Philippines are 4 times what they are in the States and you can resell them for a sizable profit.

As far as items....anything Sugar Free !

Tap-cons (masonry screw cheap in US, Uber expensive here)

Nyquil (don't know if you'd have a customs prob with that though)

Curtain rod holders

jtmwatchbiz
23 minutes ago, yee said:

Girl stuff, mostly. Perfumes, lotions, make-up, bags and shoes.

not to be a downer but everyone and their sister are already selling that kind of stuff.  it's everywhere.  doesn't much matter if you bring it here from the USA as your competition will sell the fake stuff cheaper and claim the same.  

i would try to find something a bit less commonly seen but desirable. 

• Like 2

yee
4 minutes ago, Dafey said:

As far as shipping economics and logistics it depends largely on weight and volume. 

If I was shipping quantities from the US I'd consider shipping in Coolers. Prices of these in the Philippines are 4 times what they are in the States and you can resell them for a sizable profit.

As far as items....anything Sugar Free !

Tap-cons (masonry screw cheap in US, Uber expensive here)

Nyquil (don't know if you'd have a customs prob with that though)

Curtain rod holders

Thanks!! This is great information :) I really appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

not to be a downer but everyone and their sister are already selling that kind of stuff.  it's everywhere.  doesn't much matter if you bring it here from the USA as your competition will sell the fake stuff cheaper and claim the same.  

i would try to find something a bit less commonly seen but desirable. 

Yup, a tad non-original but I do have the market for it. Right now, I'm banking on friend's loyalty and my charms - business does get subjective around here most times. In the future, I'm sure the quality of goods and customer service can attract more people. And we do intend to sell for less so we'll strive to keep operating costs low..

Do you know where it's sold here in Cebu? I would like to see and check their prices.

Jim_in_Jax

I'd sure like to find underwear that fit.  My experience has been that it is difficult to find anything over the Filipino XL size which isn't the same as XL from the US.  Even the things I've found that were labeled in waist size of 42 apparently isn't really 42.  I've mentioned to some of the people who work in the offices at S&R, not the floor workers, that if they paid attention there is a market for men's underwear in American sizes 2XL and larger but they haven't acted on it at all so I'm guessing they don't believe it would sell.

Men's underwear in American sizes of 2XL up to maybe 4XL.  Choices in boxers and briefs.

• Like 1

yee
4 minutes ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

I'd sure like to find underwear that fit.  My experience has been that it is difficult to find anything over the Filipino XL size which isn't the same as XL from the US.  Even the things I've found that were labeled in waist size of 42 apparently isn't really 42.  I've mentioned to some of the people who work in the offices at S&R, not the floor workers, that if they paid attention there is a market for men's underwear in American sizes 2XL and larger but they haven't acted on it at all so I'm guessing they don't believe it would sell.

Men's underwear in American sizes of 2XL up to maybe 4XL.  Choices in boxers and briefs.

I hear you. I believe it will sell. Thanks for the insight - What's your brand of choice?

Jim_in_Jax

Personally I like Hanes boxers and looking at their popularity on US websites that you can order them from they seem a popular choice.  Other people here though should add their preferences if they have any so perhaps a consensus  could be gained.

jtmwatchbiz
3 minutes ago, yee said:

Do you know where it's sold here in Cebu? I would like to see and check their prices.

all the big malls and especially the second floor of park mall.  there are also a gazillion competitors on facebook individually selling all kinds of beauty and fashion accessories.  most claim it's the real deal when in fact it's knock off.  my wife and her friends are constantly inundated with offerings of the type of stuff you want to import.  everyone here is in the fashion and accessory business.  

your problems sustaining this type of business will be mainly...

maintaining your customer base as most will probably buy once and move on to cheaper and abundant alternatives. 

dealing with customs.  you will be importing in bulk and don't fall for anyone suggesting they can arrange shenanigans with customs.  you got to be legit.  import duties will be substantial and part of the reason the knock off smuggled stuff is so appealing.