fred42

Richard K
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

The storm was not as powerful as expected when it hit. The problem is, the next one peeps may get complacent and not prepare.

I do agree that complacency is dangerous... I am thinking that the majority of the PI dodged the bullet with this one. If this had tracked just a few degrees south this would have caused massive devastation...and probably a large body count.
Me?.. I am grateful so far..and that it didn't. I am beginning to think we might be mostly out of the woods here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

JamesMusslewhite
3 hours ago, fred42 said:

The storm is a CAT 5 and now over land.. Not sure how it could get any more powerful then that?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=64674b45ff2b2516http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/westpac/storm/movies/MOV8-4.26W.GIF[/img]

if so they will have to create a new Cat 6 (Super-dooper) category....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Richard K
48 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

if so they will have to create a new Cat 6 (Super-dooper) category....

I am sure it is a conspiracy of some sort.
I have often wondered why the USA stayed with the US Standard Unit... while the majority of the world finds metric not only more usable but easier to use and understand...and more accurate also..
This may very well be the diff... when it comes to this topic.
regardless... this was a huge storm... you ..your family and your lobsters... me and mine (no lobsters alas)... should be grateful this one bumped off...
I know I am
Oh damn.. was that childish???

Sorry Dad

soupeod

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1032254/91-passengers-stranded-after-boat-trips-from-surigao-city-suspended

91 passengers stranded after boat trips from Surigao City suspended

By: Erwin M. Mascariñas - 03:13 PM September 14, 2018

Liapata-Ferry-port.jpg

Lipata ferry port. PHOTO BY ERWIN MASCARINAS

BUTUAN CITY – At least 91 passengers, including six children, were stranded at the port of Surigao, since 11 p.m. Thursday, following the order of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and other maritime authorities to cancel all boat trips because of Typhoon “Ompong.”

Skyjet Airlines, which flies to and from Siargao Island, also canceled flights, although the number of passengers stranded at the airport was not yet available.

“We have already issued an order for the cancellation of all trips and sea voyages from the port of Lipata and the Surigao City port Thursday afternoon,” said Ensign Jesmar Dasas, acting station commander of the PCG station in Surigao City.

Dasas said the cancellation and suspension of trips included all smaller boats traveling to the nearby islands.

“As the sea is becoming rough and the waves, bigger, it would be dangerous for any form of vessel crossing open waters, even if (the trip only covered) the nearby island province of Dinagat or the ports of Siargao,” said Dasas.

The PCG warned that any boat caught crossing to and from Surigao City would be apprehended.

“We heard in the past that even with the storm signal imposed, smaller boats would risk crossing over to the islands, charging a higher fare,” he said. “Those caught doing this would be apprehended, their licenses canceled, and would be made to face administrative charges,” he added.

He said the suspension of trips was declared after the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration issued a gale warning on the eastern seaboard due to Ompong within the Philippine area of responsibility.

• Thanks 1

shadow
1 hour ago, soupeod said:

91 is news? There were 1400 camped out in the Dumaguete high school gym for the last two days. Authorities were begging for any kind of assistance for them, food, blankets, water,...

soupeod
1 hour ago, shadow said:

91 is news? There were 1400 camped out in the Dumaguete high school gym for the last two days. Authorities were begging for any kind of assistance for them, food, blankets, water,...

Ok.... :)

Dafey
8 hours ago, shadow said:

Wow...they should have somebody join LinC so they know where the storm is tracking!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jawny
8 hours ago, shadow said:

During every major storm I’ve seen these statistics presented regarding stranded passengers.  It never made much sense to me since the statistic was never followed up with any reports of how the stranded individuals were being aided.  What’s the point of knowing the numbers?

The impression I had was the port staff did a head count of passengers still in the terminal, "stranded" as it were.  No count being made of those who made their way to some shelter (hotel, relatives house etc). Of course, those that left the terminal are not in need, right?  Hence, not stranded.  

It wouldn’t take much effort to sort out the worst case scenario.  In that way, plans could be made for provisions of aid and shelter to the stranded individuals.  

Sometimes I forget where I live. Planning for a worst case scenario is a bit like having merchandise in storage to fill the shelves when needed.  

Out of stock/shelter sir!

• Like 2

Dafey

‘Save as many lives as you can’

MANILA, Philippines — After getting briefed on developments in provinces ravaged by Typhoon Ompong, President Duterte directed his political adviser and disaster point man Francis Tolentino to save as many lives as possible as rescue and relief efforts continue.

In a phone-patch report from Cagayan, Tolentino told the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) that strong winds did much damage in Cagayan and Isabela early yesterday morning. 

Tolentino said the President personally instructed him to immediately send assistance to affected families.

Upon direct instructions from the President last Friday, Tolentino immediately went to Cagayan where he set up a command center to coordinate disaster mitigation efforts of the national government and local government units.

In a press briefing, presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said the presence of the President’s “alter egos” on the ground had greatly helped facilitate efforts of the concerned agencies and concerned LGUs to deliver assistance and services to affected communities.

“They are going around and ensuring that we are at our best as far as disaster preparedness is concerned,” Roque told reporters at Camp Aguinaldo.

He lamented the death of two “responders” in the Cordillera Region.

At the same briefing, transportation chief Arthur Tugade reported the damage the typhoon wrought on the Cagayan Airport, especially on the offices of personnel.

Labor chief Silvestre Bello III, for his part, reported partial clearing of roads leading to Isabela and Ilocos.

Overall, Roque said concerned agencies demonstrated their preparedness in the face of Ompong’s onslaught. “Preparedness has become very productive,” he said.

Roque said the President and members of his Cabinet are planning an inspection trip tomorrow to Region 1 or 2. He said they would have to get clearance first from security and aviation authorities before finalizing the trip.

“The idea is to bring government where services are needed…You can count on the Duterte administration in challenges like these,” he added.

He reiterated the call of Trade chief Ramon Lopez for retailers to observe a freeze on prices of basic goods.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/‘save-as-many-lives-as-you-can’/ar-BBNmTxS?li=AAb280R&ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1

Dafey

Now that's love!!! And...a sense of humor!

Isabela couple continues wedding in Ompong-battered venue

typhoon wedding

No storm can stop this couple from tying the knot, not even the feared Typhoon Ompong.

Jasmine Apigo and Glenn Agapito married in Turod Sur, Cordon, Isabela on Saturday morning, hours after Typhoon Ompong made landfall in Cagayan.

Photos from YouScooper Dondie Aliñavon Ariola showed the venue torn down by the strong winds, and decorations strews across the place.

Instead of letting the rains bring them down, the couple were all smiles, even posing with overturned umbrellas.

Ompong weakened on Saturday afternoon and is expected to leave the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) at past 8 pm.m, leaving behind at least two confirmed deaths.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/isabela-couple-continues-wedding-in-ompong-battered-venue/ar-BBNmFCF?ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1

fred42

Lets eat na!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dafey
4 hours ago, fred42 said:

Lets eat na!

Never know when it's your last meal!

• Like 1

fred42
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Never know when it's your last meal!

After eating the guy on the right said to the guy on the left... "I was watching TV this morning and they have a very dangerous hurricane in the U.S,according to a Kano  news channel"....
"Talaga"?? The other replied.

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1

Richard K

So... did not sustain much damage here. I hired a few guys to push upright and brace my mango tree..and check and fix  a couple of roof leaks... which really have been there in every really hard rain we have had anyway ... got my gutters re-attached and cleaned... all in all.... I feel lucky... comparatively...
Today was mid/upper 70's F and a sweet fresh breeze... such a beautiful day I wanted to F/uck it

• Like 4