BossHog

Help me pimp my router!

BossHog

So, I recently got a new router (Huawei B315s-936) when I signed up for a Globe postpaid business account. The router works fine and we're very happy with the speed and especially the unlimited data. It's not connected to a computer; it has a sim card and you just plug the unit into the wall outlet. Internet images:

huawei.jpg.89a26e7fa12d51f43e50924a5d205a46.jpg         11.jpg.12d8599cce35413367b4ce82432c168c.jpg

The only thing is I want to use it simultaneously in both my house and restaurant and they're about sixty meters apart. I'd prefer to keep the router in the house since it's at a higher elevation and has a clear line of sight to the Globe tower. Currently the range of the router just barely covers the distance and we only get one bar in the resto which makes it too slow when many customers use it at the same time. There's no obstruction between the two buildings, just a grass lawn and a bunch of flowers.

Two questions:

1.I'm trying to figure out what  additional hardware I need. I see boosters, amplifiers, extenders, and repeaters. Are these all the same thing? What I want is something I can plug into the wall in the restaurant so we get the same five bars as in the house. What kind of gear should I be looking for? Bonus points for brand names and model numbers.

2. The router has two connections on the rear panel to attach antennas. We get a full five bars now though so not sure if external antennas would help much, but they're cheap so I figure why not. As far as I understand these antennas are only for receiving and  not transmitting. Is that correct?

Hope I explained this okay. Thanks in advance.

Woolf

The antennas on the back are for the cell data only,  not for wifi, so putting antennas on will NOT help on wifi

The best would be to use a 60+ meter utp cable and an access point/router  at the resto

• Like 3

Woolf

UTP catx cable can be up to 100 meters long 

Woolf
Woolf

The utp cable I linked to above is not designed for outdoor use, could be sensitive to UV light from the sun

but  I am sure it will last a few years, and if it goes bad it is cheap enough to just buy new

BossHog
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

The best would be to use a 60+ meter utp cable and an access point/router  at the resto

Great  idea. Cheers Woolf.

37 minutes ago, Woolf said:

The utp cable I linked to above is not designed for outdoor use

I browsed a bit; 100 meters of outdoor waterproof Cat6 cable doesn't cost much more.

A few more questions if I may:

1. There's currently an electric line running from the house to the resto. Would it be possible to just zip-tie the internet cable to that or would the electricity cause interference?

2. Any suggestions for the new second router that could be run on a power bank during a brownout or will any router with a usb port support power bank charging?

Thanks again.

Woolf
5 minutes ago, BossHog said:

1. There's currently an electric line running from the house to the resto. Would it be possible to just zip-tie the internet cable to that or would the electricity cause interference?

I would try it, it is probably not recommended, but I would try anyway

5 minutes ago, BossHog said:

2. Any suggestions for the new second router that could be run on a power bank during a brownout or will any router with a usb port support power bank charging?

the usb port on a router will supply 5 volts, you can not power the access-point/router that way

I have no good idea right now

how do you power the globe router during browout ??

• Like 1

BossHog
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Woolf said:

how do you power the globe router during brownout ??

I don't. I keep a Globe Pocket wifi as a back up. But off course, that doesn't have a LAN port.

If it were just me I'd get offline and read a book or something but our business is particularly dependent on free wifi.

The pocket wifi will do in a pinch I guess.

Edited by BossHog

Woolf
Posted (edited)

What about 2 small UPS, if you only power the router and the access point, then they should hold for a while

that is if they run until battery low  and not on a timer

Edited by Woolf

BossHog

Okay, shopping for a 100 meter roll of the Ethernet cable this morning.

Also, I happen to have a few extra Globe/Huawei  routers very similar to the one that is currently connected. Can I network one of those by cable as the access point or am I better off getting something like this....

680857762_download(2).jpg.c5f2a0b69527ab1dbe8643804e8d9d3e.jpg

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/asus-rt-n12-3-in-1-routeraprange-extender-i176007698-s221339068.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.4.17053141OVoETH&search=1

Woolf

The old globe routers may  or may not work, I will need to know the models numbers to give a qualified guess

anyway globe often have their own firmware loaded, so hard to tell

The asus thing should work if set up as an access point

make sure it does not use the same wifi channel as the new globe router

if you have an android phone or tablet you can use  this app to  check what channels in use in the area

wifi analyzer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=da

maybe an app for ipad/iphone will do the same 

Raven
20 hours ago, BossHog said:

Great  idea. Cheers Woolf.

I browsed a bit; 100 meters of outdoor waterproof Cat6 cable doesn't cost much more.

A few more questions if I may:

Thanks again.

If you have powerline between the buildings, why not use INTERNET THROUGH POWER OUTLET

like this one or Lazada have different options...

17658_7.jpg

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=17658&main=50

• Like 1

Woolf
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Raven said:

If you have powerline between the buildings, why not use INTERNET THROUGH POWER OUTLET

like this one or Lazada have different options...

I have tried using those, and was not satisfied with the performance, I have tried 2 sets

send one set back, the other set  I can not return, I have given up using them

I will not recommend  using them

with utp catx  you know it will work

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

What about a WiFi Range Booster/Extender...

Woolf
2 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

What about a WiFi Range Booster/Extender...

same thing

tried to use one at my sisters house,  gave up on it, and  used an utp cat 5 cable 

still have the extender here, did a few tests here my house, I will not recommend using it

with a cable you know it works