JohnSurrey

Dengue Outbreak - Fogging???

JohnSurrey
Posted (edited)

Anyone know about dengue control?

Read on the internet that fogging is considered one of the most least effective ways of controlling it...

Anyway, the wife is talking to a fireman at the school today and he reckons that before the fogging they didn't have a problem but following it they did!

He reckoned it was because they only "fog" a little bit at a time - that seems to clear a specific area but encourages the mosquitoes to disperse...

Made sense to me - as when they did us they just seemed to spray the areas (with water) that looked dodgy.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/02/18/doh-declares-dengue-outbreak-in-baybay-city-leyte

Edited by JohnSurrey
wrong link

RogerDat

Them bugs bite in the day time, and love school rooms with all the brown wood. They used to spray the room's here, but stopped because of the smell as they had no way to air out the class rooms.

• Like 2

M.C.A.

They stopped the fogging in our area I live in region 4 Laguna, Luzon but they used to come by and fog out the whole house front and backyard I think they determined it was more of a health hazard to fog the home because the next day the mosquitoes are back so useless.  

Any standing water will be filled with mosquito larvae so my neighbors told me in the evening before it gets dark to check the yard for standing water in containers or whatever and dump it.  Planting trees has helped us by bringing in birds and also we have roosters in the yard they eat the other crawling pests, I also do my best to keep the yard down but I can't keep up right now due to the rain and it's beginning to flood from the lake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
3 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

Any standing water will be filled with mosquito larvae

thats the biggest problem is people leave all sorts of 'stuff' out that collects water, becomes stagnant and breeds mosquitoes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Headshot
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Dafey said:

thats the biggest problem is people leave all sorts of 'stuff' out that collects water, becomes stagnant and breeds mosquitoes

Exactly. Fogging only kills the adults that the fog contacts. It does nothing to kill the pupae or the larvae that are still in the water. You CAN knock down a mosquito problem, but it means eliminating any standing water, oiling any water that can't be eliminated (to make it so the larvae can't brethe) and spraying for adults ... all at the same time. Even then, you can only treat a small area at a time, so mosquitoes will eventually return (if you allow water to accumulate again). If you give mosquitoes a place to lay eggs, they will do so.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rainymike

Fogging doesn't hurt, but only helps reduce the mosquitoes in heavily infested areas for a short time.

Here are my major strategies that I use to protect the kids, but even these have their limitations.

1. Keep the yard clear of standing water. It helps a bit, but does not keep the bugs from breeding next door if you live next to an empty lot or neighbors who are clueless about mosquitoes.

2. Fans: I have a couple of the larger house fans and run them continuously during dengue season. I mean these fans are strong enough to suck in mosquitoes and kill them. Smaller fans in the bedrooms help keep the critters off the kids as they sleep. 

3. Electronic bug zappers: I also deploy these to back up the fans. I usually have to replace the units regularly because their UV light bulbs don't last all that long and are hard to replace. Used to put these outside the house, but figured the UV lights were also attracting mosquitoes from neighboring yards. I only use them in the house now. 

4. Chemical warfare: like fogging, bug sprays are a temporary help. I don't like putting products like Off! on the kids, but will use it  they are on a field trip for school. There are repellent patches the kids can also wear on their clothing that I am more comfortable with. There are a number of other products like wristbands but I don't see these regularly in the markets.  There are also electronic devices that send out vaporized chemicals to kill bugs (I use one in my bedroom but not for the kids).

5. Screening devices: mosquito nets, screens, etc. help to keep the bugs out of the house or off you while sleeping.

In the end, use whatever you are comfortable with. Your best lines of defense are in the home and not the neighborhood. When the kids are off to school or out with friends, it doesn't hurt to have some kind of protection that stay with them.

They tell you that there are certain times of the day when the dengue mosquitoes are most active. It's true, but you should probably interpret that to mean that when the bastards are less active they are still in biting your ass mode during these non-peak times.

• Like 1

Headshot

There is another alternative. It is called the Mosquito Magnet. Here are a couple of videos on it. I haven't seen this product in Cebu, but the product is small enough that it could easily by sent in a BB Box from the US. If you have a bad mosquito problem, this may be a solution for you

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/store/mosquito-magnet-trap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

easy44

You might notice the the Mosquito Magnet doesn't use a light to attract mosquitos. The bug zappers you see here in the stores will kill lots of bugs but any mosquitos it kills are purely accidental. Mosquitos are not attracted by UV light. Some may include a scent package. Don't know how effective they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1