scoander

Nurses having to cover missing stock?

scoander

My wife is a nurse at a hospital in Cebu.  Recently, administration has come across missing stock to the tune of nearly P20k.  My wife and her coworkers have been informed that, as this happened in their work area, they will have to cover this.  I don't think this is due to their negligence and has got to be illegal.  What I am thinking is to encourage her to refuse to pay, then if they attempt to fire her and/or garnish her pay, threaten legal action. Thoughts?  Any experiences like this?

Edited by scoander

Goetz1965

Problem is all workers are too scared to fight back here - they dont know their rights at all.

Also - if your wife refuses as the only person she is lost - its either the whole department fights or no one.
I had this game in germany with my department years ago - ended up that me and a co-worker were the last willing to fight  (from 12 workers at all) - and then he also stepped back. I wasn't so stupid to go to hell alone !

My advice - find someone in Department of labour and get this case checked.
IF this case is illegal than get someone official from department of labour to meet with your wifes department - to explain them the legal situation - best is to invite the HR people from the hospital too - so they directly can trash the case.

WITHOUT outside help from Department of Labour you will have NO CHANCE !

And even you win this case - the hospital sure will first displace all staff to other departments over time before firing them ...

• Like 1

scoander

I'm out of the country right now, so I sent my wife the DOLE hotline number, but I doubt she'll use it.  I'll pursue this with caution next week when I'm back. Cheers.

• Like 1

TequilaSunset

My GF is going through an extortion similar to this. Tomorrow is her last day (resigned) and they have been trying to get her to go to a team building event over the weekend (employees pay for these) and she won't even been an employee anymore when it happens. She refused, now they are telling her she has to pay a penalty for not going. I told her to just walk away and don't look back. I said, what are they going to do, fire you? It's crazy some of the stuff I hear that goes on. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Davaoeno

Does she have the kind of job where future employers will ever ask for a reference from her previous employer?

• Thanks 2

cookie47
My GF is going through an extortion similar to this. Tomorrow is her last day (resigned) and they have been trying to get her to go to a team building event over the weekend (employees pay for these) and she won't even been an employee anymore when it happens. She refused, now they are telling her she has to pay a penalty for not going. I told her to just walk away and don't look back. I said, what are they going to do, fire you? It's crazy some of the stuff I hear that goes on. 
I'm with you. Good on ya (and you're GF....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

M.C.A.
2 hours ago, scoander said:

I'm out of the country right now, so I sent my wife the DOLE hotline number, but I doubt she'll use it.  I'll pursue this with caution next week when I'm back. Cheers.

How important is it for your wife to work in a country where jobs are very scarce and then to try to report this to the government, I think they can all split the costs and then find a way to track this stock better, the person that should be in trouble is the supervisor but hey this is how it works here, I'd do everything to keep that job if the money is important to your family you don't want to make waves.

• Like 2

Enuff

DOL is useless

My wife's previous employee shut down 5 years ago

Then it was discovered that the company that was deducting for SSS, Pag-IBIG & philhealth had never given them a peso. Not even the loans that were payed back.

My wife along with 30 co-workers went to DOL with paystubs showing the deductions. Sorry guys they hired an attorney and have offered a payoff, nothing we can do.

I refuse to allow my wife to repay the loan a second time and have letters sitting with just about every elected official in the country, not a single response in over a month.

Best to just suck it up or try to replace with black market items.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

scoander
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Does she have the kind of job where future employers will ever ask for a reference from her previous employer?

Irony appreciated.

scoander

I've pretty much reached the same conclusion as a few here.  There's always that initial outrage, though, when you see stuff like this, and especially when it affects you directly.  Thanks.

Edited by scoander
  • Like 2

Contango

There are a few very valid reasons why everyone with some ambition and dignity leaves..

• Like 2

savarity

Knew a factory worker who had the same thing happen.

Practical reality is for her to accept the situation and try to divide the cost among all the staff on duty at that time. If she tries the legal route... well, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog

I've been told that if a customer breaks something in a grocery store that the shelf stocker is responsible for the cost if the customer doesn't pay. It may be just something they say to make the customer feel sorry for the employee and pay, but then again, it doesn't sound too far fetched for the Philippines.

• Like 2

to_dave007
12 hours ago, Enuff said:

My wife's previous employee shut down 5 years ago

Then it was discovered that the company that was deducting for SSS, Pag-IBIG & philhealth had never given them a peso. Not even the loans that were payed back.

My wife along with 30 co-workers went to DOL with paystubs showing the deductions. Sorry guys they hired an attorney and have offered a payoff, nothing we can do.

wow.  that's  bit of an eye opener !!  What kind of business was it?  Looking back.. how could you have detected the fraud earlier?

Enuff
wow.  that's  bit of an eye opener !!  What kind of business was it?  Looking back.. how could you have detected the fraud earlier?
Huge furniture business in MEPZ

Funny thing is 4 of those disgruntled employees started their own company. Wife was working for them during 4th year of college as they had grown big enough to need office help.

Her first 3 months there she started the books, yes started. They had never done jack shit. She immediately realized the same and threatened to quit. They have since stepped up to the plate and alomst have everything current.

She spends 1 afternoon every week at SSS getting things in order. The company is 100% legit, pays minimum plus now and actual deposits things deducted.

I would imagine this isn't an isolated incident, probably more common than most think.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2