NigelandMJ

Camotes Electric

NigelandMJ
21 hours ago, Woolf said:

I am still pretty sure that system loss ib liste under transmission cost on the veco bill

Well, on our bill it is listed under the generation section. (this month 0.5411 php/kwh)

23 hours ago, Hoss said:

It is kind of strange that there are so many power outages...They are not making any money during a power outage...

I have always said that too. My wife says they do it to make more money !!!! I am still unsure of the logic for this idea

On 8/9/2018 at 7:00 AM, Dafey said:

The power plant that 'supplies/produces' and the electric for your island is in Ormoc. So yes, it's a different company but affiliated. However, if you have brown outs every day the problem is on the Celco side. I live in western Leyte and have a brown out once every month or so. Friends in Ormoc have them very seldom. Tacloban across the mountain a little more often.

There are no power cables running to the Camotes Islands. I was speaking to a local a week or so ago, he told me that when they were laying the subsea cables from Leyte to Cebu, it was proposed to include landing on Camotes, however, it was blocked by persons un-named. I have no idea if this is true or not.

The power here is generated at the DG station in Poro right next to Celco offices, and from a power barge moored in Poro port. Apparently, there is also another small DG somewhere near San Fran, however, I was told it was not operating due to break down and has not operated for some time. also a number of the generators on the barge and in the DG station Poro are not running and in need of repair. Again, I do not know how true that is.

Finally, I saw a notice that an environmental certificate had been obtained for a DG expansion plant in Western Poblacion, Poro I presume.

• Like 1

Dafey
5 hours ago, NigelandMJ said:

There are no power cables running to the Camotes Islands

Good to know. I was operating on the assumption that Ormoc supplies power to Cebu and as far as Manila...I thought the smaller islands just off shore were a given.

NigelandMJ

Further on this subject, I found an article  that stated "the total available capacity in the island at 4.155 MW which is sufficient in meeting the peak demand of 2.469 MW." This is dated as 30th October 2017. ( https://www.napocor.gov.ph/index.php/news/archived-news/135-npc-inaugurates-new-gensets-in-camotes-island-cebu ).

So, I am still at a loss, as to why there are constant blackouts just about every single day. Quite often 5 or 6 each day. Recently 3 or 4 blackouts between midnight and 6 or 7 am, each lasting 30 minutes to an hour, with the power back on for 5 or 10 minutes between each blackout. If the reason for these blackouts is load shedding, then who or what is using all this power for 6 hours after midnight? In addition there are blackouts during the day, quite often mid-morning and early evening.

If the peak demand is is a little over half the stated capacity, surely there would be no need for load shedding. It would indicate to me that in excess of half the capacity is inoperable due to breakdown, lack of maintenance etc. I do not understand how they can let this get into such a messed up state and for quite a few years now.

I did read somewhere else (cant find the article right now). The Mayors had stated "it was starting to affect tourism". From what I have seen, it has been affecting tourism for a long time now. But more importantly it has been affecting local business, and the general population on the islands for years. It just seems to me that it is high time that something is done to sort out the problems.

Cgu
2 hours ago, NigelandMJ said:

It just seems to me that it is high time that something is done to sort out the problems.

I hope you are still very young, so that it will happen during your life time. 

Do not get me wrong, I love the Philippines, but as long as know the Philippines nothing improved in any aspect (infrastructure, crime, cost, poverty, etc.) everthing actually worsened.