exploringlife2

Sleep Apnea

exploringlife2

I am sure I have Sleep Apnea. Any recommendations near Dumaguete, and next Cebu for treatment. I spend 5 1/2 months every year in the Philippines. I dropped my Medical Insurance in the USA because my medical insurance went to almost $700 a month. 

Semper paratus

Are you over-weight ?

lamoe
3 hours ago, exploringlife2 said:

I am sure I have Sleep Apnea. Any recommendations near Dumaguete, and next Cebu for treatment. I spend 5 1/2 months every year in the Philippines. I dropped my Medical Insurance in the USA because my medical insurance went to almost $700 a month. 

Get diagnosed - if you need a CPAP I have a spare machine - good for 120 / 240 V- may need some of the attachments

Semper  could be right - dropped 65 pounds - told I don't snore anymore

Up to 5 events - not wide wake -  / hr is considered normal

https://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/getting-sleep-apnea-diagnosis/sleep-study-details/

• Like 2

HeyMike

Same here. I had a very bad snoring problem. I would even wake myself up with it. And then at times my wife would wake me up, telling me that I stopped breathing. I lost 50 pounds and no more sleep apnea.

This was maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Still sleeping fine.

If you are over weight, that may be at least part of the cause.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete
3 hours ago, exploringlife2 said:

I got hooked into the sleep apnea racket that has sprung up here in Oz.. Sent to a place where they hire you an overnight data logger for $120 (That costs $1145 to buy new!) Then of coarse I needed a kit of gear which cost near $1500 but I just could not sleep with it on.  (I am 125Kg and just a bit 'meaty' as my darling says, others say fat!)

Anyhow got talking to an old bloke who gave me the following advice and it works great for me....He says do these exercises for ten minutes each day:    Teeth together and grin as wide and stressful as possible , (notice immediately how easy it is to breathe through your snoz!)  While grinning push tongue hard against upper pallet and put as much stress on the upper pallet as possible. The idea is to exercise away the fatty tissue.

I thought the old block was nuts but bugger me it works. After a couple of weeks exercise I sleep and wake up much better and less complaints from the other half.  

Hope it works for you..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

soupeod
7 hours ago, exploringlife2 said:

So, as I did, you need to visit a Doctor ... a respiratory therapist to determine exactly what you have.  We do not have that here in LINC. 

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
8 hours ago, soupeod said:

So, as I did, you need to visit a Doctor ... a respiratory therapist to determine exactly what you have.  We do not have that here in LINC. 

Dr. Geraldine Lim.  office beside cebu doctor's hospital.

office landline 253 8353

office cell 0932 380 1885.

very popular and well respected Dr for respiratory related stuff.  tell her you know the watch buyers. 

• Like 1

Don.
Posted (edited)

"

Center for Sleep Disorder

The Chong Hua Hospital Center for Sleep Disorder is the first and only sleep laboratory outside Manila. It is the first one in the Philippines to use the most advanced ResMed EMBLA digital sleep recorder that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of the ailment. It is the same system used by the Harvard and Stanford Centers for Sleep Disorders"

For inquiries please call:
Tel. No.: +63(32) 255-8000
Local 761038

http://chonghua.com.ph/index.php/services/sleep_disorder

Edited by Don.
  • Like 4

exploringlife2

Thank You for your replies. I am starting to diet as of yesterday and stopping my achol consumption. I will try to stop my eating before bedtime. I will watch my progress and see how much it helps. In Nov. I will be in the Philippines for over 5 months to visit my lady and second home as I do every year. I will visit the Doctor in Cebu if my progress is not what I feel it needs to be.

Thank You again

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

In 2005 I was falling asleep while driving to and from work and while standing up at work. I had some general knowledge of sleep apnea as my father had it. I taped myself breathing while sleeping and the tape scared the hell out of me as I would stop breathing at times. I went to the doctor who recommended the sleep test. It is done overnight with you hooked up to probes to measure different things. They stopped my test three hours in and put me on a cpap machine. The test showed that I stopped breathing an average of 63 times per hour with the longest time being just over one minute. I was given a cpap machine and have been on it since. My blood oxygen level had gotten down to 58%.

Sleep apnea can be a very serious problem. In my case, the breath stoppage and sudden resumption meant that I was never getting in to REM sleep which is the phase needed to rest your body. The doctors told me that if the problem haden't been caught I would probably have been dead within 5 years. Granted my case may be more extreme than most, but the effects can still be the same. This can put extreme  pressure on your heart not to mention other effects of low oxygen levels such as:

Consequences of Low Blood Oxygen Level:

• damage eye sight
• deteriorate short term memory
• weaken muscle (your heart is a muscle)
• increase pain
• reduced clarity/focus
• loss of your natural charming disposition
• potentially create life threatening cranial nerve stimulation

Contango

I used a mouth piece for a while, stops the snoring by not letting your jaw fall back as your teeth hold for jaw forward.