MrSuave

Cement vs Wood Frame Construction

MrSuave
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Cement Hollow Block or Concrete Hollow Block

This is actually exciting for me! Thanks Headshot and Woolf! 

Headshot
2 minutes ago, MrSuave said:

This is actually exciting for me! Thanks Headshot and Woolf! 

In the 2013 earthquake, my walls (using the plastered foam-core method) suffered absolutely no cracks (not even tiny cracks). The foam cores are thoroughly steel reinforced with welded wire every two-inches in both directions, and regular steel rebar is threaded through the foam panels and welded to the steel columns and beams. After the plaster (stucco) is applied and sets, everything works as a single unit.

• Thanks 1

HeyMike

The only wood in my house is the flooring on the second floor and the doors. I had to replace the floor once already because of termites, and now it looks like I will be doing it again in the not too distant future because of termites again. The fact that I live in the jungle may have something to do with it. Wish you all the best on the new home, whatever you choose for building materials.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RogerDat

Decent building wood here is expensive, and scarce in Cebu. I used GI roll formed steel. Also put a vapor barrier under your ground floor, stops moisture coming up from the cement into your house, especially if you intend to have it air coned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A_Simple_Man
3 hours ago, HeyMike said:

I had to replace the floor once already because of termites, and now it looks like I will be doing it again in the not too distant future because of termites again.

May I assume you did not use any kind of pest control like https://www.rentokil.com.ph/pest-control-cebu/

HeyMike
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

May I assume you did not use any kind of pest control like https://www.rentokil.com.ph/pest-control-cebu/

My father-in-law used some homemade crap that I should have known better to not use. Live and learn, as they say.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite
Posted (edited)

You can also buy a hollow block mold and make your own, The locals buy blocks which are up to 70 blocks per sack of crete and use a rather drymix. Their belief is that regularly misting the blocks they will straighten.  Make wood molds and use a wetmix at a ratio of 45 blocks per sack of crete and you will do fine in the strength of the blocks. When I made my large saltwater tanks for this lobster hatchery. I used a ratio of 25 blocks per 1 sack of crete, but I am containing thousands of kilos of saltwater in each of these these tanks. Combined your talking between 85,000 - 94,000 kilo of saltwater and I had no ruptures during a 7.2 earthquake. You can strengthen the blocks you use in your wall constructions. 

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3

smokey

New block in town called lite something smooth bigger and can be sawed but 1/3 the weight

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, smokey said:

New block in town called lite something smooth bigger and can be sawed but 1/3 the weight

I have never heard of it- do you have any details Robert ?

smokey
Posted (edited)

They are using in on new const lighter means less steel and strong easy to render

Capture+_2018-07-17-20-45-58.png

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Davaoeno

Davaoeno

this is from Australia. Similar concept  but different shapes. Im not sure what other differences there are

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tinbum

Just for a giggle on the termite issue.

Currently working in a unit on the 21st floor of Avida Tower 1 in I T Park.

Solid wood cabinets and baseboard are under attack from termites. Apparently not the only unit to have a termite issue.

21 floors up, concrete and CHB for miles...yet still termites!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

fred42
38 minutes ago, Tinbum said:

Just for a giggle on the termite issue.

Currently working in a unit on the 21st floor of Avida Tower 1 in I T Park.

Solid wood cabinets and baseboard are under attack from termites. Apparently not the only unit to have a termite issue.

21 floors up, concrete and CHB for miles...yet still termites!

9 times out of 10 in those cases,the termites were delivered and installed with the furniture.

• Like 2

Jess Bartone
On 7/17/2018 at 6:48 AM, Enuff said:

The only wood in my house is the doors

We have a 2 story, very small, 30 sqm each floor with 5br & 2 cr, nothing else. Cost was about p10,000 per sqm, but again very basic.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

It doesn't get much cheaper than that, other than a nipa hut.

• Like 2