MrSuave

Cement vs Wood Frame Construction

MrSuave

I'm starting to design the house I'll be building and would like to learn the pros and cons of the different frame materials. Wood framing is my first choice but I'd like to know if it's more expensive than the typical cement block houses and which would hold up better during a typhoon.  Balay!

Woolf

you want to build a wood frame house, what about termites ???

My house is with steel columns and beams,  takes up less space and need a lot less scaffolding 

the houses in background same steel columns and beams

1325136043_resized.jpg

1325136067_resized.jpg

• Like 1

MrSuave

I like the idea of using steel but I'm a little concerned about the cost. Is it expensive? 

Woolf
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, MrSuave said:

I like the idea of using steel but I'm a little concerned about the cost. Is it expensive? 

II is a lot less man hours 

they used roof panels and put 10 cm concrete with rebar on top  for 2nd floor floor

no need for any support, you already have the steel beams

there were zero damages to any of the house during the Earthquake that hit Bohol and Cebu - October 15, 2013

about the cost, bought the it  "key ready", the house was no more expensive than any other house same size

see picture below  no column inside, notice the lamp in the ceiling, not just a lamp socked with a naked bulb

as I have seen in other houses that I have looked at

uuups forgot picture

1325136085_resized.jpg

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 3

CardiacKid

A fact that you have to take into account is the poor quality of the concrete blocks. They have to be carried with two hands supporting them, otherwise they crumble. They are laid using mortar joints that are often 1" thick or more. When finished, they apply a skim coat of cement to smooth the surface. They often pour the hollow block full of cement just slightly thicker than water. Rebar about 8 mm is used to stabilize the mess. You can push a nail into it with your thumb. Woolf has the best idea so far. Steel can sway and flex without breaking. Due to the termites that are there, I wouldn't even consider wood. 

• Like 4

Enuff

The only wood in my house is the doors

We have a 2 story, very small, 30 sqm each floor with 5br & 2 cr, nothing else. Cost was about p10,000 per sqm, but again very basic.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

what do you wish your external finish to look like?  what do you think you'll be using for the walls?  and the roof..  

What's your budget like?  how seriously do you need to save money on construction?

how long do you want the place to last.

where will you be building your house..  It matters..  if you are in provincial location, the materials available locally will be more limited.

give us some photo's of houses you've seen that you think you like.

forget everything you know about construction in the US..  "you ain't in Kansas now !!".. the materials available locally.. the insects..  the earthquakes.  the typhoons..  the skills of the local construction guys..  are ALL different from what you are used to.

If you have an unlimited budget, then pay close attention to the LINC members that tell you how to build your absolutely perfectly.

What LINC member was it.  I think in Liloan..  who renovated that dirty kitchen outside his house earlier this year.    Read all his threads.  I think he's got it right..  and I wish I'd read his stuff before I built my own house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hydro
4 hours ago, Woolf said:

My house is with steel columns and beams,  takes up less space and need a lot less scaffolding 

the houses in background same steel columns and beams

1325136043_resized.jpg

1325136067_resized.jpg

What did you use for the external cladding? 

M.C.A.

It's what our house used to look like it was bamboo on the outside with a wood frame exactly like photo'd, it was eaten up by bugs won't last more than 20 years without constant repairs been there done that and you wouldn't believe how much wood flooring will cost you this home might actually cost more than a built with cement.  

Our house had to be retrofit with concrete columns and rebuilt it over a longer timeline and now I wish we'd made our roof concrete also so that's our next financial challenge.

• Like 2

Woolf
1 hour ago, hydro said:

What did you use for the external cladding? 

I had nothing to do with building the house, bought it "key ready" as I mentioned before

maybe the below picture answer your question 

1306089863_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Davaoeno
7 hours ago, Woolf said:

I used to have a couple of houses in Florida. Almost all the houses there are wood frame. And almost all the houses there get termites. And the owners deal with them .  No one gets all freaked out about it .

A Linc member M60 built a wood frame house here in Davao . I have been there . Nice house. Yes- it had a few termites but nothing serious.  My own house is concrete and the termites have chewed holes in a few pieces of wood molding . Nothing to worry about . For every problem there is a solution . 

• Like 2

Headshot
Posted (edited)

If I was going to build a house from scratch, it would be steel framed with plastered foam-core walls. It gives great insulation, is just as cheap as CHB, and there is no danger of it falling down in an earthquake or being eaten by termites. I used this technique when I added a second floor to my house, as seen in the pictures below. There are a lot more pictures in the construction thread I did at the time.

3.thumb.JPG.7647c2cafbb0216d2699acfc450b55d7.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.fc297a30dffa5a60f898c1436e4dc2d4.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.3fc881409ede0f1ed5839b1a626e6526.JPG

6.thumb.jpg.892c4f0aba62f4f617ddf3780445c6da.jpg

1252298650_FinishedWall.thumb.jpg.fa35c69cd83a7df9d7e82ab4d2ccc7f5.jpg

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/topic/69988-old-house-to-new-house/

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

MrSuave
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

For every problem there is a solution . 

I'm thinking the same thing.  Steel columns can rust, but they're coated with rust retardant. Can't the wood also be treated to keep termites away?  Also having a cement foundation wider than the building itself may give termites a harder time finding the wood. I'm playing with the idea of painting the frame after it's built so there is no exposed wood so no matter how much wood a woodchuck could chuck he wont find the wood. Same with termites.

• Thanks 1

MrSuave
5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If I was going to build a house from scratch, it would be steel framed with plastered foam-core walls. It gives great insulation, is just as cheap as CHB, and there is no danger of it falling down in an earthquake or being eaten by termites..

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is CHB? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Headshot
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MrSuave said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is CHB? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cement Hollow Block or Concrete Hollow Block. It is what most homes are built from in the Philippines, and what comes tumbling down in an earthquake. Of the 15,000 homes that were destroyed or severely damaged in the 2013 Bohol earthquake, almost all were built with CHB.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1