Salty Dog
On 7/23/2018 at 4:26 PM, rep1 said:

I noticed occasional discounts for asus zenbooks on amazon US, priced 2/3 to half of ours. Lighter than Macbook pro. UX490UA specifically.

I've never had to have mine repaired but me and my wife have Asus Zenbooks. 

One is the 8" and the other is the 9.7".

Very happy with them except that the 8" bottom row of buttons aren't backlit. Hard to use in the dark.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

By the way. The Asus 9.7" replaced an iPad. My wife uses it and likes it much better. In fact she is going to switch from her iPhone to an Android phone.

I know you Apple lovers are going to tell me how the Apple is the best there is, but obvisually plenty of people don't love them because there are more Android phones than iPhones. In fact, Samsung alone sales more smartphones than Apple.

rep1
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

By the way. The Asus 9.7" replaced an iPad. My wife uses it and likes it much better. In fact she is going to switch from her iPhone to an Android phone.

I know you Apple lovers are going to tell me how the Apple is the best there is, but obvisually plenty of people don't love them because there are more Android phones than iPhones. In fact, Samsung alone sales more smartphones than Apple.

Nah not zenpad, zenbook which is laptop. Rarely shown at shops.

I tried to buy macbook while drunk, p7xxxx with 8gb ram! More pricey than in US?!

DeedleNuts

For what it's worth I'm still thrilled w/ the little Dell I (eventually) linked ....

max111
11 hours ago, rep1 said:

Nah not zenpad, zenbook which is laptop. Rarely shown at shops.

I tried to buy macbook while drunk, p7xxxx with 8gb ram! More pricey than in US?!

Not sure why you are so worried. I have an ASUS Zenbook, bought 5 years ago,,,, running good. I've upped the RAM to MAX !! and changed the HD to SSD....

Aren't you Taiwanese? ASUS are manufactured there as I know.....

• Thanks 1

DeedleNuts

I've had quite a few Asus products but in my experience they are solidly in the 2nd tier value brand category, not quite there when it comes to engineering, QA, or build quality. Recently HP has made solid efforts to move upscale, and Dell has always had top tier line (XPS, Alienware) as well. Some others too, but in my way of thinking 'Ultrabook' and brands like Asus, Acer, and so on really don't belong in the same sentence. 

• Thanks 1

max111

I think I only owned 3 laptops the last 20 years... A Fujitsu-Siemens, HP and now this ASUS.

This ASUS is a nice piece. Superslim, aluminium casing, Bang Olufsen sound, I7 processor, separate Nvidia processor  etc  No touch screen though, that came later.

It more than does what I need it for.

• Like 1

DeedleNuts
Posted (edited)

I currently have 2 Asus laptops, they also have NVIDIA and Intel chips inside, and they do what I needed them for but like I said, they just are not quite there IME. Very good value for money though, just have a sort of 2nd tier feel to them once you start using them. As much as I don't care for Mac-anything, this is something you don't find with Apple products or an actual top-tier Ultrabook. 

I actually looked at the Zenbook when I was shopping, if that tells anything.

Edited by DeedleNuts
  • Thanks 1

rep1

Okay done! last one in stock, price increased by $100 right before I made my order! :(  But price still good, about 2/3 of local retail price.

will test when it arrives.

XPS is too expensive. don't want to pay for the 4k screen or PCI-E SSD..