rep1

May need one soon. I have never used those before as heavy workstation/gaming type is preferred for work.

will not buy here but maintenance will definitely be needed. Not looking for specific model but brands, series and opinions on their international support service and reliability.

I found a few choices:

- MacBook/air/pro, potential issue: swollen battery (and they had callback!)

- Dell XPS line. some had swollen battery too. why? usually laptop battery just dies peacefully.

- ASUS Zenbook. cheapest. no obvious issue.

Of all three ASUS is straightforward about global warranty. Dell's might be troublesome? Is Apple okay with that? There seems to be more apple shops and service centers than any others.

Other brands? HP spectre is no good as I need 16GB RAM. 

SkyMan

I've recently been doing a lot of searching for laptops in the US and have not heard the term Ultrabook.  What does that mean?  Or mean to you anyway.  

I was rather disappointed that I wasn't able to find a laptop with similar features to the one I bought 2 years ago for similar price.  It seems to me the industry has stagnated.

DeedleNuts

I recently got a modestly configured Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 convertible, and I love it. Cost was under $1000 too. Thing is admirably light, has extremely good battery life (or it's powered by fission, hard to tell) - all around very good. 

Depends on what you need I guess.

Dell-XPS-13-2-in-1-Laptop-4.jpg

41VAFX2t-rL.jpg

xps-15-2in1-open-1200x799.jpg

44 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I've recently been doing a lot of searching for laptops in the US and have not heard the term Ultrabook.  What does that mean? 

Essentially a PC competitor for a MacBook. Slim, elegant, useful, without the goopy OSX mess smeared all over it. 

• Like 1

rep1
16 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

I recently got a modestly configured Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 convertible, and I love it. Cost was under $1000 too. Thing is admirably light, has extremely good battery life (or it's powered by fission, hard to tell) - all around very good. 

How long have you been using it?

I'm okay to pay extra for the size, but battery stories shocked me - I have been using laptops for more than 10 years, never heard of swollen battery in regular laptops  that could damage other parts.

Do you have international warranty in cebu?

DeedleNuts
Posted (edited)

I've had it a couple months, have not travelled internationally with it yet. I like the USB C/TB stuff quite a lot - now my notebook charges the same as my phone. 

Edited by DeedleNuts
  • Like 1

rizla

No contest for me, I bought an Asus ultrabook but found it useless as the sound was awful when connected to an external sound system, and the video output was poor also, I bought specifically for use in my lectures, ended up borrowing a colleagues Macbook, I then got persuaded to buy an Asus Vivo i7 laptop, which I hate now with a passion, the screen glare gives me a headache, the sound is flat and has very little control, and win 10 is the worst piece of software known to mankind, and is three times slower than my old i5 Macbook. 

Both will be sold on eBay next month when I am back in the UK and I will buy a new Macbook Pro, which is everything these "laptops" isn't.

If you want a tool for professional work, buy an Apple, anything else is just a toy and for games only. IMO

Paddy
2 minutes ago, rizla said:

If you want a tool for professional work, buy an Apple, anything else is just a toy and for games only

Despite buying an Acer Swift 3 a short while ago with which I am quite happy, I am inclined to agree. Cheap Win10 laptops often have shortcomings which show up quickly in professional work. They also get slower and slower over time as Microsoft (and others who seem to want more and more control) update their software and or switch things on and off when you're not looking. I'm not a Macbook user but my kids are/were. Those machines are/were good quality and there is a good global service network (expensive maybe, but good).

rep1
12 minutes ago, rizla said:

No contest for me, I bought an Asus ultrabook but found it useless as the sound was awful when connected to an external sound system, and the video output was poor also, I bought specifically for use in my lectures, ended up borrowing a colleagues Macbook, I then got persuaded to buy an Asus Vivo i7 laptop, which I hate now with a passion, the screen glare gives me a headache, the sound is flat and has very little control, and win 10 is the worst piece of software known to mankind, and is three times slower than my old i5 Macbook. 

some of laptops I used have sound issues due to noise/interference. An $10 usb sound card solves that. I use win 8.1 with offline updates and tweaked Intel graphics driver for new CPU instead of win10 - the updates fail too often now.

but the battery problem with macbook pro? I don't want to experience the other LINC member had (on the ad forum I think). dead battery is okay, exploded/leaked is not.

DeedleNuts

The XPS has pretty good sound, but I never use it. I like the keyboard and the display, and it's quite compact. I use it mostly to do webmail and RDP/SSH into other machines. Also if I later get a compatible display, I can leave a KB and mouse plugged into the monitor, and when I sit down I can just plug in a single USB-C connection to the XPS and all the power and various signals will get routed where they need to go.

The only downside is the i7 they use is a little puny, but I'm not mining ETH on my ultrabook. 

Friends don't let friends buy Asus

I joke a little but really they tend to be a budget brand, so I'd say allowing that knowledge to adjust one's expectations would be productive. 

• Like 1

mexiwi

I have a Zenbook I bought for work, has been great, good battery life. Running Win 7 Pro like everything in my house.

I operate an Apple free household.

• Like 2

smokey
Posted (edited)

Question my pc is a all in one it has gotten slower and slower last 3 years can you erase everything and install 7 pro. Then shut off updates it keeps upgrading now to 10 but my space left is almost 0 .. Instead of trying to as the guy said use a micro 64 gb card just go back to 7 pro not used for any work

Edited by smokey

DeedleNuts
12 minutes ago, smokey said:

Question my pc is a all in one it has gotten slower and slower last 3 years can you erase everything and install 7 pro.

Did it have 7 on it to start with?

I'd go with 10 at this point, it's actually faster on most hardware. 

smokey

It had 8.1 but the space left is 2 g and my ram is almost 4

DeedleNuts

Linux?

Irenicus

Dell XPS wins all kinds of awards every year.  It's sweet.

My go-to here has always been Lenovo Thinkpads, specifically the T440S.  I7, SSD, IPS display, superlight and with a 10 hour battery, it also is protected somewhat against environmental issues (heat, moisture, dust) and shock.  Never had one let me down.

• Like 1