• Commercial Banner Advertisers

topcat72m

Is Living in Cebu on ph100,000 pm PRACTICAL

topcat72m

I have done a budget for general cost of living in Cebu in preparation for retirement. I have left out an entertainment budget as it is too complex and each person is different.

My subtotal for pretty essential living is 65,000 in a fairly decent condo near city.  

My actual budget will be a little over php100,000 per month. 

Can those who have been there a while look over my figures and give feedback on my costs. 

Thanks in advance. 

Budget.jpg

Budget.pdf

rep1

Looks fair but how long are you going to stay? Inside the city, housing cost could double in 10 years. Service-related spending should also increase over time. It won't be 100k a decade later.

• Thanks 1

topcat72m
2 minutes ago, rep1 said:

Looks fair but how long are you going to stay? Inside the city, housing cost could double in 10 years. Service-related spending should also increase over time. It won't be 100k a decade later.

I will have a military pension which goes up in relation to increase in military salaries. But I get your point. 

I plan to start with one year. See how that goes. I don't wish to restrict myself to a place straight away. If I decide to live long term (+10 years) I will buy. But that might not be Cebu. 

• Like 1

TimL

I would say that you certainly can Topcat. Again, nobody knows what currencies will do in the future but, I don’t think that you’ll have too much difficulty living a decent life with that amount. Provided your not a sex crazed, party animal. I didn’t see women and partying in your budget so I am assuming that you don’t plan to spent heavily on it. Hahaha

topcat72m
16 minutes ago, TimL said:

I would say that you certainly can Topcat. Again, nobody knows what currencies will do in the future but, I don’t think that you’ll have too much difficulty living a decent life with that amount. Provided your not a sex crazed, party animal. I didn’t see women and partying in your budget so I am assuming that you don’t plan to spent heavily on it. Hahaha

Only on months that have 4 weeks in them. Haha. 

I'm not a party animal. I tried it before and only lasted 2 weeks before I burned out. 

• Haha 3

max111

Better make a 2nd column where you also budget for a 2nd person.

Missing;

drinking water/beer/coffee, cleaning costs for the condo, haircuts/dental, snacks/fruits

topcat72m
29 minutes ago, max111 said:

Better make a 2nd column where you also budget for a 2nd person.

Missing;

drinking water/beer/coffee, cleaning costs for the condo, haircuts/dental, snacks/fruits

This would all have to come from the remaining 30/35K per month. The above budget 65k is what I consider essential. The remaining can be spent on unessential or luxury. 

Kabisay-an gid

If you're not a heavy smoker and drinker, I think you and even a significant other can make it on 100,000 a month in Cebu. 

Of course you'd have to have some financial/budget discipline, and have the backbone to prevent a possible future significant other from spending too much of your money. 

So yes, 100,000 a month is completely doable, assuming the Euro doesn't decline significantly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DeedleNuts

I lived in various places in PH for a while and I averaged a lot less than $1000 a month, and that included quite a bit of diving which tends to be a relatively expensive sport compared to just sitting around and watching the sunset. I also had a $120 a month bill for the DSL to help inflate that.

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog

smiley-face-eating-popcorn.png

• Like 1

DeedleNuts
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

If you're not a heavy smoker and drinker, I think you and even a significant other can make it on 100,000 a month in Cebu. 

Of course you'd have to have some financial/budget discipline, and have the backbone to prevent a possible future significant other from spending too much of your money. 

So yes, 100,000 a month is completely doable, assuming the Euro doesn't decline significantly.

I had a decent 2 bedroom townhouse rented for $165 and all the other stuff typically added up to maybe $500 more. I had to have a major event or activity to break $1000. But I don't live an extravagant life so YMMV as they say. 

I did take the camgirls next door out to pizza 1-2 times a week. That was something. 

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

smiley-face-eating-popcorn.png

Is that popcorn included in a 100K budget in Cebu?  I would have thought portion size was an important part of that budget so maybe:popcorn:

ellenbrook2001

yes, mate seem correct I do spend now 75.000 p cause of family expenses next year none but have a budget over 120,000.00  p  for years to come and inflation all goes up now grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Thanks 1

GBT62

I just happened to do a rough monthly budget calculation yesterday because the GF was doing her bills etc....

We came up with somewhere between 45,000 to 55,000 PHP per month on average.

My rent/power/water/cable/internet on a 2 bedroom Guadalupe unit is about 24-26K PHP per month depending on AC power use.

We cook or we eat out local restaurants mostly 3 or 4 times a week (not a lot of Chains) and I am still drinking my horde of duty-free spirits for the main part.

She lives with me approximately half the week till she gets rid of her unit near her daughter's school  - but even with groceries (Fooda/Rustans), fuel (I bought a car) and Directors Club movies a couple of times a month - I'd be hard pressed to use 100,000 PHP a month unless I am travelling to beach resorts (and consequently drinking more $4 cocktails :) ).  I'd be worried if I was spending 100,000 PHP a month (that's more than I spent back in AU).

I do have a washing machine and make my own water with a RO filter setup - but those really don't reduce costs significantly. I reckon its the discretionary spending (grog and steak dinners) that have to be the big add-ons.

• Thanks 1

smokey
Posted (edited)

In 15 years here i learn one thing expect the unexpected always be ready to change course have back up money in case and always know where you passport is.  

UNEXPECTED. wake up one day wife on phone scream my momma in hospital she pass out.  We go there she has brain anurism bing deposit 50.000.  Next day not looking good. Bing 70.000 more.  Next day pass away burial another 45.000.  Chamber etc.  The unexpected

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2