• Commercial Banner Advertisers

TheMatrix

My Quest to Ship a Container to Cebu

smokey
Posted (edited)

Steve a broker does not work for the government they are basically agents with permission to help imports they are not responsible for what is inside you also can send a.car or bike if you have one you love same under bb you will save about 40%in tax down side can not sell for 3 years.  A broker is like a real estate agent in us they help with paperwork for a fee

Edited by smokey

TheMatrix
20 minutes ago, smokey said:

Steve a broker does not work for the government they are basically agents with permission to help imports they are not responsible for what is inside you also can send a.car or bike if you have one you love same under bb you will save about 40%in tax down side can not sell for 3 years.  A broker is like a real estate agent in us they help with paperwork for a fee

Yeah, I totally get that.  A broker works for us and attempts to navigate government bureaucracy so that we don't have to.  Still, the broker told us the wife has to be there.  We will contact others for more advice.  Perhaps we'll end up not using one at all.

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, TheMatrix said:

I figure the sweet innocent wife may get off easily.

Actually a strong willed Filipina with a sharp tongue can get you farther than a compliant Filipina when dealing with customs officials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smokey
4 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

Yeah, I totally get that.  A broker works for us and attempts to navigate government bureaucracy so that we don't have to.  Still, the broker told us the wife has to be there.  We will contact others for more advice.  Perhaps we'll end up not using one at all.

do call DTI the people there are or were very friendly and helpful and at top of the heap in power

smokey
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

once you give up power to the broker your stuff is his stuff till he releases it you may own what's inside but he owns the container ... our broker tried to hold us up for more money but my wife was able to get the container opened and car removed and then she owned the car he owned the container..  household stuff is a non event to most customs guys... and steve there is no attorney client privilege between agent and you so if you tell him gee I sure hope they don't find out about ?????  you just gave him a big raise..  if you get a permit before from DTI you DO not need a broker there are some fees we paid about 80,000 peso for a 40 footer of household stuff but that was a while ago.. 

Edited by smokey
  • Thanks 2

TheMatrix
6 hours ago, smokey said:

once you give up power to the broker your stuff is his stuff till he releases it you may own what's inside but he owns the container ... our broker tried to hold us up for more money but my wife was able to get the container opened and car removed and then she owned the car he owned the container..  household stuff is a non event to most customs guys... and steve there is no attorney client privilege between agent and you so if you tell him gee I sure hope they don't find out about ?????  you just gave him a big raise..  if you get a permit before from DTI you DO not need a broker there are some fees we paid about 80,000 peso for a 40 footer of household stuff but that was a while ago.. 

Great advice.  Thanks Smokey.