• Commercial Banner Advertisers

TheMatrix

My Quest to Ship a Container to Cebu

TheMatrix

Hey Ya'll,

It's been awhile since I've posted here.  I hope it's still the friendly place it always has been?  (haha)  We're still living on the vineyard in Oregon but at times we think about selling it all and moving to a big dream house on a hill in Maria Luisa with tons of staff members taking care of everything... very much unlike the situation here on the farm, where I'm working like a dog.  We actually already talked with a couple schools for the kids, Singapore School and CIS, which seem good enough.  Still pondering the positives and negatives of raising the family in Cebu.

We own a few homes there and the wife and I decided to convert some of them to Airbnb rentals.  After our recent 25-day stay at the Crown Regency in an Airbnb rental for a negotiated cheap price of 90k pesos (crazy), I see the market is strong for short term rentals.  We plan on kicking out our long term tenants, renovating with high quality furnishings from the US and thus also have a place to stay when we come to town (important).  We have begun acquiring everything from furniture to the toilets for a complete renovation with a plan of filling and shipping a container.  

The challenges are none of the shipping companies want to leave a container at our home for the couple of weeks I'm requesting.  They're saying 2-3 hours maximum while the driver waits.  We need the weeks so that we can keep buying things to fill the container tight maximizing the move, and we don't want to risk buying too much beforehand.  

We have never shipped a container so understand all this is a bit unnerving for us.  On another matter, we spoke to a container company today to purchase a long term storage container to permanently have on the farm.  In that same conversation, we asked if they had anything to do with shipping containers overseas and if they could help facilitate such a move.  They said yes... of course, right.  They said they would sell me two containers, one for storage and one for shipping.  They'll have the shipping container sea-worthy certified for $75.  They referred me to another hauler for once I have it packed, call them to take it to port.  Is it really that easy?  Surely I must have a bunch of paperwork.  How about licenses, etc?  Do I need a customs broker or freight forwarder on this side?   I'm setting up a receiving customs broker in Cebu.  

Okay, now after the container lands in Cebu port.  We own it and need to empty it.  We're not aware of any place to park it in the very urban Cebu city.  I own a lot in Toledo where we can stage it, but that too much of a haul back and forth.  I suspect we'll leave it at port and have workers with trucks haul the items to their final destination.  Then, what can we do with this container?  Is there a market for them in Cebu?  If yes, should I buy used or new container for resale?  Price is not that much difference.  $2200 for used, $3200 for new.  Does anyone have experience in recapturing container money Cebu side?  If I had a home in the province, I would definitely have one.  They make great high security storage lockers.  

I would like to learn about others experiences in doing what we're about to undertake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jester

Thanks for posting on this, I have thought about the same thing and will be following. It seems a waste to be renting a container, when I could buy one in the US and have it  delivered to the farm.  It is a ways off for me. 

• Like 1

TheMatrix

Actually, besides just storage, it would be good timing to find someone ready to move back to the US which could use the same container.  After I get the timing and logistics down, I'll request to post a classified ad on this site.

softail

There is a unique little fast food mall in Santa Rosa by Nuvali mall that is made out of shipping containers converted into individual booths.  Have also heard of them being converted into homes.

A_Simple_Man
41 minutes ago, Jester said:

It seems a waste to be renting a container, when I could buy one in the US and have it  delivered to the farm.

If you are thinking about the family farm in Biliran you may remember that Lee? did that.  I think I remember that is his name.  American fellow who owns a few trucks in the US.  He bought, filled, and shipped a 20-foot container to Naval and when he was all done he turned it into a trailer, which turned out to be too heavy and broke the hitch off his elf.  Anyway, he had his share of problems but got it done.

Perhaps @hyaku could ask him about the ordeal.  Of course, that was a few years back and things change so your mileage will vary.

Tinbum
4 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

Is there a market for them in Cebu? 

There is but it depends on your asking price of course. Taking your 3200 USD and saying thats 170K PHP, that cheaper than what the going rate is but not by loads, have been offered 40 footers fro between 200 to 250...sight unseen.

Plus, you don't say what size your will be 20 or 40 footer, standard or hi-cube?

Plus this may help in some small way..

• Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
5 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

house on a hill in Maria Luisa with tons of staff members taking care of everything...

hiya stevie ole buddy ole pal.  good to see you posting again and stop by next time you're in town.  many opportunities to sell off that container once it lands here in cebu city and we can help you out with that. 

however the quoted part of your post above is what caught my eye.   since my main purpose in life for my wife is yard work and vehicle maintenance could i be your yard boy in maria luisa?  i can wash your cars too.  will you also have a pool?  i could be the pool boy as well since i have a few pairs of speedos. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

TheMatrix
Just now, jtmwatchbiz said:

hiya stevie ole buddy ole pal.  good to see you posting again and stop by next time you're in town.  many opportunities to sell off that container once it lands here in cebu city and we can help you out with that. 

however the quoted part of your post above is what caught my eye.   since my main purpose in life for my wife is yard work and vehicle maintenance could i be your yard boy in maria luisa?  i can wash your cars too.  will you also have a pool?  i could be the pool boy as well since i have a few pairs of speedos. 

You guys don't know how good you have it.  You can have staff for everything and anything.  I was living it up during those few weeks recently in Cebu and traveling to Alona Beach, Malapascua and Bantayan.  Drivers, people opening doors for us, porters, people to watch over the children rather than me always yelling at them... life is so easy there.   Here, seriously man, I work sunup to sundown and still don't don't scratch the surface of what needs to be done.  Takes 12 hours to cut the fields and grass.  Yesterday, spent 5 hours troubleshooting and clearing the irrigation system for the trees.  It's constant like this.  Got to clear out the barn all next week.... whoopie so fun, not!  I'm getting old and I think I should be relaxing by now,  but my fault, always cutting off more than I can chew.  

• Like 1

DeedleNuts

I grew up on a farm in Oregon. How many kids nowadays grow up resetting a bunch of irrigation lines at sunup as a prelude to breakfast? Too few I think. 

• Like 1

lopburi3
6 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

We own a few homes there and the wife and I decided to convert some of them to Airbnb rentals.  After our recent 25-day stay at the Crown Regency in an Airbnb rental for a negotiated cheap price of 90k pesos (crazy), I see the market is strong for short term rentals. 

Be aware that such rentals may become problematic in the future.  Thailand has already court ruled rentals of under 30 days illegal unless a lisenced hotel/guest house type facility in Hua HIn and expect that to expand (as this is very important to government revenue - expect other locations/countries will also be putting controls on).  Uber has already been shut down in Thailand.  Governments are known for wanting a cut.

• Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
8 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

I'm setting up a receiving customs broker in Cebu. 

FYI, you do not need to hire a customs broker in Cebu. If you have the inclination, you can act as your own broker. We did and saved over 100,000 pesos.

• Thanks 2

Jester
10 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

If you are thinking about the family farm in Biliran you may remember that Lee? did that.  I think I remember that is his name.  American fellow who owns a few trucks in the US.  He bought, filled, and shipped a 20-foot container to Naval and when he was all done he turned it into a trailer, which turned out to be too heavy and broke the hitch off his elf.  Anyway, he had his share of problems but got it done.

Perhaps @hyaku could ask him about the ordeal.  Of course, that was a few years back and things change so your mileage will vary.

I remember Lee shipping boatloads of BB box's, but  do not recall a container story.  When I ran into banking issues, Lee told me that if I needed cash he would gladly lend me some,  good guy. 

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Jester said:

I remember Lee shipping boatloads of BB box's, but  do not recall a container story.

Well, that tells a story right there.  I did not hear about the BB boxes.  This fellow, Lee, loves his tools.  I mean he is crazy about tools and brought a 20 ft shipping container of them with him on his first trip.  I mentioned a little about his story but the point is:  Here's a guy who brought over a container then decided it was not worth doing it again and proceeded to send boatloads of BB boxes?  Since he decided it was not worth it, and he is a smart fellow with experience shipping both ways, I'd use the boxes.  Your mileage will vary.

Headshot

How, exactly, would you suggest shipping furniture in BB boxes? Somehow I think you've missed the plot here. Steve wants to send over furniture to furnish several homes here in Cebu. Of course, in addition to the furniture, he wants to send all of the small stuff needed in a house as well, but if he doesn't get the furniture shipped, the rest will be rather pointless.

• Like 1

to_dave007

saw an ad in one of the PI English language daily news papers for "house from container" just last week. Don't remember which paper.  I noticed it because of that California guy who committed suicide over on Lapu Lapu just a few weeks back.  He also had a "house from container" business that was talked about here in a recent LINC thread.  The number 150,000 rings a bell from the ad.. but it wasn't for 40 foot trailer.. I think 20' only...  fully finished. About 1/2 of the prices mentioned on the web site for the suicide guy.