• Commercial Banner Advertisers

nothingbutquestions

SSA SURVIVOR BENEFITS - practical not theoretical

Jawny
57 minutes ago, cogon88 said:

This is from my own experience with the SS.

Only 3 Phillippine banks approved to receive ss funds and the bank is not allowed to give out an ATM on the account also no internet transactions.

All withdrawals need to be done in person at the branch that you opened the account at guess the US requires you to show the bank that your alive to get your SS payment each month

Understand in past this was not the case

I’m not certain of the number, but there are likely more than three banks these days that will process the direct deposits for US Treasury checks, including SSA benefits.  It is a significant number of annuitants living here.

There are only passbook accounts allowed as best I can tell.  No ATM accounts as said by others. However, online access is allowed, but limited to checking the account balance and such.  No transfers between accounts.  This can be useful for making sure a deposit was made before going into the bank for a withdrawal.

34 minutes ago, Lordblacknail said:

I used to receive my own SSA checks here at BPI. Had to go in person each month with my passbook and withdraw the US dollars then to the CX at Rustans to convert into pesos. Then when my daughter arrived, we opened an account at USAA under her name with her mother, who is a US citizen, as Rep Payee. I then transferred my own SSA to the same US bank. So we no longer have any significant deposits here in the RP.  I have no access to my daughters account, only my wife does. My wife can transfer money from my daughters account to any account that she, my wife, is a part of. She or I if I am on the account the money was transferred to, withdraw the funds from any ATM. I find it much more convenient to pay with credit or debit cards at places like S&R then in converting pesos. I usually get a good rate. Also, I don't have to depend on BPI not being closed or offline.

US banks are more lenient with regard to access to the accounts.  Makes sense, since the banks are better situated to deal with situations such as death of an annuitant and such.  For the Philippines, account access is more restricted because of the conservative ways of protecting the bank before the client.

I get a US Treasury deposit into a Metrobank account.  For many years, the only direct contact I’ve had with them is completing the signature cards.  This is in large part because the bank knows me and my wife.  She takes in the passbook, withdrawal slip while I wait in the car.  I’m just being lazy, but the bank is okay with this.

nothingbutquestions

Just spoke to USAA. You can open an account in your child's name WITH a responsible adult. Your spouse could be on the account (even a foreign national spouse). You die and your widow applies for benefits for your survivor child. And the checks can be direct-deposited to the account which comes with ATM cards and Internal Transfer Privileges.

What I do not know at this point is whether your widow MUST apply for benefits in Manila or if it can be done online. 

Lordblacknail

you have to apply for them in person. But they have out reach here in Cebu on occasion. Instead of Manila, why not fly to Guam and do it there?

nothingbutquestions

Interesting thought about Guam? Guam has an SSA office?  Since you're making the claim on a US territorial possession, I am wondering if that would be enough to avoid the restrictions imposed by the US on a Philippine bank account and allow you to use a USAA account?

Jawny
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Interesting thought about Guam? Guam has an SSA office?  Since you're making the claim on a US territorial possession, I am wondering if that would be enough to avoid the restrictions imposed by the US on a Philippine bank account and allow you to use a USAA account?

Have you called the SSA in Manila or sent them an email?  The US embassy even has a Facebook page and you might get a response to a message there. 

Im pretty sure the location of the application for benefits makes no difference.  The SSA is going to approve or disapprove the benefit based upon your records. Shouldn’t make any difference where the forms originate from.

The direct deposit, as I understand it, can go to any bank she designates, so long as they have a USA routing number (not sure of the correct term) and she is an owner.  The Philippine banks that have these annuitant accounts all have some correspondent bank doing business in the USA. They add restrictions such as ITF accounts and no ATM and such.  But, the monies are received like clockwork.  

Edited by Jawny