• Commercial Banner Advertisers

nothingbutquestions

SSA SURVIVOR BENEFITS - practical not theoretical

nothingbutquestions

I grant you that to know the real practical application of Survivor Benefits you must be deceased.

So I'm searching for first-hand knowledge from a friend/ relative of a deceased foreigner who left behind a fathered child and a non-US citizen Filipina spouse.

The questions is answered in SSA doublespeak (or even in rather clear English) and we can quote it ad nauseum, but is that how it REALLY works in the real world? Normally any encounter with our government has its share of snags and obstacles and interpretations by various bureaucrats twisting unambiguous English to fit their current agendas.

SCENARIO UNDER CONSIDERATION:  A male US citizen receiving SS retirement marries a Filipina in the Philippines AND they never go to the States. They have a child and register the child at the US Embassy as a US citizen. Husband dies. Will his survivor benefits for his child (NO SPOUSAL BENEFITS IN PLAY HERE) be hindered in any way for any reason? Will his widow be allowed to receive the benefits on behalf of their child? OR Must the checks be issued to the child? What pre-death arrangements should be taken (courts, petitions, guardianships, etc.) to insure the smoothest transition possible for the economic security of his child?

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THIS WORKS IN REAL LIFE AND NOT FROM WHAT IS PROCLAIMED ON THE WEBSITE? If you do I appreciate your sharing.

Dafey

Best check with the SSA website for accurate info. Too many particulars to your scenario

Jawny

I have no expertise in this matter.  However, the topic was of interest and I made some discoveries.

The SSA has a blog section on their website.  It is divided into a wide range of sections, including overseas annuitants.  Survivor benefits are discussed many times.  

The child, as a survivor can make a claim (or have one made on their behalf). Someone can be named as a payee representative and receive payments of behalf of the child.  This can be a widow.  

The US embassy has a staff working on behalf of the SSA and they handle in country benefit applications.  They even have outreach programs to various locations in the Philippines. There are many annuitants here.

cogon88

I have 2 children receiving SS benefits, The SS in Manila allowed my Filipino Wife to represent the children on the account as they are under age how ever the bank account has to be in there name and she has to have them present to with drawl deposits as she is their guardian 

• Like 1

Headshot
47 minutes ago, cogon88 said:

I have 2 children receiving SS benefits, The SS in Manila allowed my Filipino Wife to represent the children on the account as they are under age how ever the bank account has to be in there name and she has to have them present to with drawl deposits as she is their guardian 

It is much simpler if the account is in a US bank or credit union. Then, withdrawals from the dependent SS account can be done online.

delancey
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

It is much simpler if the account is in a US bank or credit union. Then, withdrawals from the dependent SS account can be done online.

Not under OP’s specific scenario but it certainly does not diminish your overall point.

cogon88

The SS requires a personal visit to the bank here to with drawl funds they do not allow your to have a debit card or the ability to transfer your funds to another account over the web, This is a requirement from the US Govenrment so you have too go personally go to the branch you opened the account at / not allowed to with drawl at other bank 

branches 

• Thanks 1

nothingbutquestions
1 hour ago, cogon88 said:

The SS requires a personal visit to the bank here to with drawl funds they do not allow your to have a debit card or the ability to transfer your funds to another account over the web, This is a requirement from the US Govenrment so you have too go personally go to the branch you opened the account at / not allowed to with drawl at other bank 

Thank you for this information. Is this something you read? Have you a reference so I may read it and refer to it? Is it because there is a guardian involved? No such requirements existed in the US (as of 6 years ago anyway) for the child's check to be deposited into an account in their name and a in-person appearance by both the child and guardian to make a withdrawl.

Jawny
Posted (edited)

The US banking rules and Philippine rules are similar, but not identical. A payee representive can receive actual checks, no direct deposit.  This is explained at the SSA website.  

If the benefit is to be direct deposited, the bank used has to have a USA connection, and this is quite common here.  Many banks located here have a USA branch which can receive the direct deposit. This deposit will follow the rules of the BSP. Those rules are pretty conservative and limit the access to the accounts.

Ive never heard of the child recipient having to make a personal appearance.  It actually makes little sense, since the typical account conditions are to use an "ITF" (in trust for) account.  This gives the adult payee representative the authority to make withdrawals on behalf of the child.  The local bank may have added their own conditions, but I seriously doubt this is the case in most banks (personal appearance). 

I’d suggest a look at the SSA website would prove useful.

The term for the person who receives the money on behalf of the children is payee representative.  This does not have to be the guardian, but could be another relative.

Edited by Jawny
  • Thanks 1

towboat72

My son has US citizenship,is going to be 6 in sept.when we applied for s/s card and benefits we set my wife as custodian of the account paid into bank acct in lapu lapu.She has to go to bank and withdraw in person/no ATM /has to be in pesos.At our bank child does not need to be present ( maybe because they have seen him and mama for 5 years )These are rules are from US S/S not our bank.

Can't speak to death benefits other then what I asked at time of starting benefits.

Ask and was told that at my death my wife needed to notify S/S and benifts would continue till son was 18 or 21 if he was still attending school

• Thanks 1

Jawny
Posted (edited)

Sounds like the bank in Lapu Lapu is getting maximum benefits from having the account by requiring withdrawals to be made in pesos.  What I have learned from the SSA is that the accounts must be a dollar account.  The checks are issued by the US treasury, in dollars.  The banks can require a service fee for the deposit transaction.  If they can then have the currency changed, they get an additional fee based upon exchange rates etc.

I had the impression the SSA establishes the entitlement requirements, the method of payment (check if desired or necessary) and an accounting (signed statement) from the payee representative once in a while to indicate that the benefits are being used on behalf of the beneficiary (child).  After these rules are met, the banking process is very similar to other US Treasury requirements. 

The big fear of conservative banks here is the risk that the beneficiary will lose entitlement and the bank will be stuck with the issue of dealing with the US Treasury.  

Google is a useful way to get information about benefits payable to overseas beneficiaries.  

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Edited by Jawny

nothingbutquestions

Thank you for your post. I applaud your foresight in setting this up prematurely.

Is this a dormant account in your son's name, unused since opening and only to be put to use upon your demise?

Do you maintain a personal account in the US for the direct deposit of your own SS benefits?

Headshot
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Thank you for your post. I applaud your foresight in setting this up prematurely.

Is this a dormant account in your son's name, unused since opening and only to be put to use upon your demise?

Do you maintain a personal account in the US for the direct deposit of your own SS benefits?

Just a few questions...

Are you presently drawing Social Security benefits?

Have you registered your son with Social Security as your dependent?

Is Social Security presently paying benefits in your son's name (with a guardian that isn't you)?

Edited by Headshot

cogon88
On 6/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, nothingbutquestions said:

Thank you for this information. Is this something you read? Have you a reference so I may read it and refer to it? Is it because there is a guardian involved? No such requirements existed in the US (as of 6 years ago anyway) for the child's check to be deposited into an account in their name and a in-person appearance by both the child and guardian to make a withdrawl.

This is from my own experience with the SS.

Only 3 Phillippine banks approved to receive ss funds and the bank is not allowed to give out an ATM on the account also no internet transactions.

All withdrawals need to be done in person at the branch that you opened the account at guess the US requires you to show the bank that your alive to get your SS payment each month

Understand in past this was not the case

Lordblacknail

I used to receive my own SSA checks here at BPI. Had to go in person each month with my passbook and withdraw the US dollars then to the CX at Rustans to convert into pesos. Then when my daughter arrived, we opened an account at USAA under her name with her mother, who is a US citizen, as Rep Payee. I then transferred my own SSA to the same US bank. So we no longer have any significant deposits here in the RP.  I have no access to my daughters account, only my wife does. My wife can transfer money from my daughters account to any account that she, my wife, is a part of. She or I if I am on the account the money was transferred to, withdraw the funds from any ATM. I find it much more convenient to pay with credit or debit cards at places like S&R then in converting pesos. I usually get a good rate. Also, I don't have to depend on BPI not being closed or offline.

• Like 1