• Commercial Banner Advertisers

soupeod

Study: Multivitamins, Other Common Supplements Have No Health Benefits

soupeod

https://www.studyfinds.org/multivitamins-common-supplements-no-health-benefits/

Study: Multivitamins, Other Common Supplements Have No Health Benefits

TORONTO — Taking multivitamins or other commonly consumed vitamin and mineral supplements won’t actually provide you any health benefits, but they won’t harm you either, a new study finds.

Researchers from the University of Toronto and St. Michael’s Hospital conducted a review of 179 studies on popular vitamin supplements that were published between January 2012 and October 2017.  Studies covered a vast spectrum of supplements, including vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 (niacin), B6, B9 (folic acid), C, D and E; and mineral supplemts β-carotene; calcium; iron; zinc; magnesium; and selenium. Multivitamins that contained a wide variety of the vitamins and minerals were also reviewed.

Multivitamins and vitamins Taking multivitamins or other commonly consumed vitamin and mineral supplements won’t actually provide you any health benefits, but they won’t harm you either, a new study finds.

The research team concluded that the most commonly consumed supplements — multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium, and vitamin C — had no effect on a person’s risk of suffering a heart attack stroke, heart disease, or early death.

“We were surprised to find so few positive effects of the most common supplements that people consume,” notes Dr. David Jenkins, the study’s lead author, in a statement. “Our review found that if you want to use multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium or vitamin C, it does no harm – but there is no apparent advantage either.”

The only supplements that showed any benefit among the studies were folic acid or B-vitamins that contained B6, B12, and folic acid, which could lower one’s risk of heart disease and stroke. Folic acid alone showed a 20 percent lowered risk of stroke. Conversely, the review found that niacin and antioxidants had a “very small” effect that could potentially raise the risk of death from any cause.

The authors say it’s best to stick to a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables which naturally provide our bodies with vitamins and minerals.

“In the absence of significant positive data – apart from folic acid’s potential reduction in the risk of stroke and heart disease – it’s most beneficial to rely on a healthy diet to get your fill of vitamins and minerals,” says Dr. Jenkins. “So far, no research on supplements has shown us anything better than healthy servings of less processed plant foods including vegetables, fruits and nuts.”

Jenkins says it’s important that people be aware of what types of supplements they’re taking and to always consult a doctor, particularly if they have any specific deficiencies.

“These findings suggest that people should be conscious of the supplements they’re taking and ensure they’re applicable to the specific vitamin or mineral deficiencies they have been advised of by their healthcare provider,” adds Jenkins.

According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, in 2012, it was estimated that 52 percent of the population were taking supplements.

The full study was published in the June 5, 2018 edition of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. It was funded by the Canada Research Chair Endorsement, Loblaw Cos. Ltd., and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M.C.A.

I worked for a major US Vitamin and Supplement company in the US for seven years and to some extent, I'll agree just a healthy diet and variety but it's not always possible especially if the healthful food supplement doesn't taste so good.  Supplements are beneficial especially a multi antioxidant so hard to find in daily diet so take a capsule they protect your veins and arteries which then keeps them from damage and later on blockages also nattokinase helps keep healthy blood flow and so many herbal products that can help with lungs, diabetes the list could be long you can't eat berrries every single day or they may be out of season or can afford to buy them so supplements I call this study flawed, just like many studies we came across such as Vitamin E has no health benefit only to find out all the participants in the study were terminally ill that's not a fair study.

If a natural food item in the form of a supplement can be beneficial to your health and you notice a positive change in your health why not!  I have many positive stories from customers and also a few sad ones such as nothing is working but if it's working why not take a supplement why resort to medications aren't medications more damaging unless absolutely necessary and then more medications for the damage organs.

• Like 4

Jester

Who funded the study and what is their agenda?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe

If they do no harm, mine cost about $0.02 (1 p) each  from Sam's club - "50+ for Men" - I'll keep on taking them.

Not sure of the content of local veggies and stuff due to soil conditions here?

• Like 3

savarity

Shouldn't be too surprising. For decades doctors have treated vitamin supplements as 'placebo.'

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Semper paratus
13 hours ago, Jester said:

Who funded the study and what is their agenda?

Reading the link provided at the beginning of the original post I found this information.

The full study was published in the June 5, 2018 edition of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. It was funded by the Canada Research Chair Endorsement, Loblaw Cos. Ltd., and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research.

• Thanks 1

cookie47

Well, my wife was into supplements soon after we got married. (19 years).
Apart from the occasional multivitamin prior i was not a big believer.

However i was coaxed to take various pills and potions, nothing too outrageous.Firstly it has not done me any harm and in fact we finally found one GP in Melbourne who was quite comfortable with it.Our last blood test was "all in the good"

So where am i going with this.

I have varicose veins, (hereditary).
Two opps to fix. Still have swelling feet.
I am pretty confident that the supplements we take improve the blood circulation. Also my bones/joints are distinctly improved in as much i can do large flight of stairs as quick as a much younger nephew.(to his surprise).

This subject yes/no to take supplements has been around since ever and a day.

I am however in agreement that unless fruit and veges are organically grown and you know the content of the soil there is no guarantee what you are eating.

No I'm not a Greenee/ Tree hugging Hippy, however its worth considering where and how you're food is grown.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

GBT62

If you live on a common local diet of pandesals, pork, rice, soy and vinegar, 3-in-1 coffee, Redhorse and halo-halo - vitamin supplements won't do you any harm...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Flakes

Life extension probably will say : Fake news folks.

Jess Bartone

I read a study some time back - please don't ask for links - which said your body produces all the antioxidants you need, loading up with artificial antioxidants places great stress on the body trying to expel them.

My positive experience was when I was awaiting a knee replacement, the surgeon suggested I take glucosamine with paracetamol, 2 x 4 times a day, and it worked, the pain virtually stopped within 3 or 4 days. I had the new knee but now my other knee is starting to play up... I am taking the glucosamine again minus the paracetamol, and it works, again. I don't really want any more knees.

• Like 4

A_Simple_Man
4 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

The full study was published in the June 5, 2018 edition of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Thank you for that.  It was an easy click to find out that the authors studied and: ". . . performed meta-analyses on cardiovascular disease outcomes and all-cause mortality."

So they were studying to see if the vitamins and supplements would kill you or make you live longer and the found no effect for all except vitamin B.  That makes sense.  It is the quality of life that I am concerned with.  Supplements may help with a variety of ailments that are not normally fatal, for example I feel fewer cold and flu effects when taking my vitamins.

So as the study says the supplements won't directly influence the day of my demise, and as it does no harm to take them, and as they make me feel better, I shall continue business as usual.

• Like 4

Goetz1965

Other studies have proven that during a cold your Body needs higher dosage of ZINC - and that Vitamin C plus ZINC does have a visible effect. A cold where patients were treated with ZINC was around 1-2 days shorter than a cold without additional ZINC.

But hey I now o for that Folic acid 🙂

• Like 1

soupeod
5 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Thank you for that.  It was an easy click to find out that the authors studied and: ". . . performed meta-analyses on cardiovascular disease outcomes and all-cause mortality."

So they were studying to see if the vitamins and supplements would kill you or make you live longer and the found no effect for all except vitamin B.  That makes sense.  It is the quality of life that I am concerned with.  Supplements may help with a variety of ailments that are not normally fatal, for example I feel fewer cold and flu effects when taking my vitamins.

So as the study says the supplements won't directly influence the day of my demise, and as it does no harm to take them, and as they make me feel better, I shall continue business as usual.

In the article I also noticed mention of supplemental Folic Acid being helpful as well.  My last blood test the Doctor said my Folic Acid was low and to take a supplement.

• Like 1

cookie47
In the article I also noticed mention of supplemental Folic Acid being helpful as well.  My last blood test the Doctor said my Folic Acid was low and to take a supplement.
Its been proven in recent years that Low Folic Acid during pregnancy can cause Spinal defects in newborns."Spina bifida"
Pregnant mothers are advised to take.
Believe me "someone who knows"

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Kabisay-an gid

Do supplements take the place of a healthy balanced diet? - NO

Do supplements assist a healthy balanced diet? - YES

Does Kabisay care about anti-supplement "studies" by "experts" with an opinion? - A Big Fat NO! 

• Like 1