Jump to content
royman

Child Punishment / Abuse

Recommended Posts

royman
I have just returned to Australia after spending 6 weeks on Camotes Island where I witnessed, in my opinion, brutal attacks on 2 young boys. One aged ten years, the son of the attacker, the other, his cousin, aged 8 years.
OK..there is discipline and then there is outright brutality. Is it ok for mothers to beat their kids about the head and upper body with slippers? To lash them with tree branches that leave scars? To hit them on the head with glass jars or smack them in the face with cereal dishes?  
Those are the nasty incidents I witnessed, inflicted by a schizophrenic mother who gets worse after a drink.
Is it the 'norm' for such actions to take place in the P'pines? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headshot
2 minutes ago, royman said:

Is it the 'norm' for such actions to take place in the P'pines? 

The poorer the family is, the more likely that will be the norm. However, it can happen at any economic level. Child discipline is a tradition that is passed down through the family. In a generally free society, each family gets to decide how they will discipline their children (within limits established by society). However, don't expect societal norms to be the same in the Philippines as they are in Australia. There is no comparison.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
royman
Posted (edited)

Hi, I found it 'heartbreaking' to see. ...not really discipline....just pure brutality....up to  3 times a day at least.

The kid asked me to take him with me when I was leaving

The ironic thing was that the nasty bitch ..she has a big, bad mouth...got into a fight with a neighbour.........who hit her on the head with a plastic chair. She went crazy with plans to file a case, etc, etc.

My thoughts were...maybe it's karma...you beat and brutalise young kids....live with violence or live without it..don't complain when you get some payback.

Edited by royman
missed content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flakes

If u hit kids then they will hate u later.

She should be in jail and all her children taken away where i come from..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
royman
2 minutes ago, Flakes said:

If u hit kids then they will hate u later.

She should be in jail and all her children taken away where i come from..

Yeah....that's what I think but many have said to me....that's the P'pine culture to discipline kids.

If that's P'pine culture...I would rather bring my kids up in a jungle...it was awful to witness such cruelty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
14 minutes ago, royman said:

Yeah....that's what I think but many have said to me....that's the P'pine culture to discipline kids.

If that's P'pine culture...I would rather bring my kids up in a jungle...it was awful to witness such cruelty

Well, if you marry a Filipina, make sure that she doen't come from a family where severe discipline for children is the rule. Then, make sure that she does come from a family where the husband is the head of the family and wives follow their husbands' wishes. That is about the only way you will make sure the custom doesn't continue in your own family.

And don't think you can change a person's beliefs by dressing them down (either in public or in private). In the Philippines, they will see this as a grave personal insult (causing them to lose face), and they WILL retaliate against you. If you think they can be harsh with their children, you don't want to know how they will treat those who dare to insult them and cause loss of face.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee
1 hour ago, royman said:
I have just returned to Australia after spending 6 weeks on Camotes Island where I witnessed, in my opinion, brutal attacks on 2 young boys. One aged ten years, the son of the attacker, the other, his cousin, aged 8 years.
OK..there is discipline and then there is outright brutality. Is it ok for mothers to beat their kids about the head and upper body with slippers? To lash them with tree branches that leave scars? To hit them on the head with glass jars or smack them in the face with cereal dishes?  
Those are the nasty incidents I witnessed, inflicted by a schizophrenic mother who gets worse after a drink.
Is it the 'norm' for such actions to take place in the P'pines? 

Not in my family or any family I know here.   Spanking and kneeling are what I see here...which I totally agree with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
royman
22 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Well, if you marry a Filipina, make sure that she doen't come from a family where severe discipline for children is the rule. Then, make sure that she does come from a family where the husband is the head of the family and wives follow their husbands' wishes. That is about the only way you will make sure the custom doesn't continue in your own family.

And don't think you can change a person's beliefs by dressing them down (either in public or in private). In the Philippines, they will see this as a grave personal insult (causing them to lose face), and they WILL retaliate against you. If you think they can be harsh with their children, you don't want to know how they will treat those who dare to insult them and cause loss of face.

Yeah....very shallow people...easily forget the good things done for them and quick to pick on what they see as a fault...

10 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Not in my family or any family I know here.   Spanking and kneeling are what I see here...which I totally agree with.

Could you please explain your version of spanking and kneeling...thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee

Nope

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
royman
4 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Nope

That's fine if you can't explain it........as long as it is not as disturbing as to what I witnessed...(see previous posts)..salamat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee
3 minutes ago, royman said:

That's fine if you can't explain it........as long as it is not as disturbing as to what I witnessed...(see previous posts)..salamat

You say in your profile you have been here nine time plus...so the questions you ask I imagine you can answer for yourself....

Its normal for a kid to get spanked here...or to be made to kneel on the floor for extended periods of time.  I assume you were spanked as a kid....perfectly normal

Corporal punishment or physical punishment is a punishment intended to cause physical pain on a person. It is most often practiced on minors, especially in home and school settings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal_punishment

What you describe is out of the norm in both post...but again, a person with the experience your profile alludes to would know that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Rat
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

The poorer the family is, the more likely that will be the norm. However, it can happen at any economic level. Child discipline is a tradition that is passed down through the family. In a generally free society, each family gets to decide how they will discipline their children (within limits established by society). However, don't expect societal norms to be the same in the Philippines as they are in Australia. There is no comparison.

And whatever happens it seems the majority of Filipino's still respect their elders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
royman
8 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

You say in your profile you have been here nine time plus...so the questions you ask I imagine you can answer for yourself....

Its normal for a kid to get spanked here...or to be made to kneel on the floor for extended periods of time.  I assume you were spanked as a kid....perfectly normal

Corporal punishment or physical punishment is a punishment intended to cause physical pain on a person. It is most often practiced on minors, especially in home and school settings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal_punishment

What you describe is out of the norm in both post...but again, a person with the experience your profile alludes to would know that

Exactly! You say...'What you describe is out of the norm' ......which are my feelings by 100%.  

So, if you read between the lines of the original post made and further comments,,do we just sit back, witness this brutality,accept it  or do we, or can we do something about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey
3 minutes ago, royman said:

Exactly! You say...'What you describe is out of the norm' ......which are my feelings by 100%.  

So, if you read between the lines of the original post made and further comments,,do we just sit back, witness this brutality,accept it  or do we, or can we do something about it?

We move so we dont start a clan. War

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee

There is absolutely nothing you can do...it will be considered a Filipino problem and the only thing that happens if you interfere is you get shit on....It is not right, its not how we were raised, but its the way it is here...this is a country where speaking out at a political rally is considered interference....find the good in this country and accept you cant fix everything...JMHO 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert



  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Guidelines and use of We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..