• Commercial Banner Advertisers

nothingbutquestions

Is Hotel wifi safe for internet banking?

nothingbutquestions

My previous room had an individual PLDT wifi. No longer. Now all I have available is the unsecured hotel wifi with a universal (hotel-wide) password.

Is this as safe as it is going to get for my Internet banking online?

Jawny

I don’t use hotel WiFi for access to banking.  I do use pocket WiFi devices which can be easily bought.  Lots of choices for prepaid usage. 

GBT62

does your bank offer any two-factor authentication options ?

Options such as codes sent to your registered Cell number or the use of apps like Google Authenticator ?

I used to use an RSA token my bank offered   - now they support or prefer those options.  Open wifi without those options (or a VPN) is not ideal for anything using a password...

• Like 1

lamoe

I just checked the security of LinC (green lock) - not familiar with net security  - use home net and don't store bank password

Is the green lock icon indicative security enough for bank transactions?

the.lone.gunman

i have been using a Smart wifi sim card and an Ipad for many years . I don’t store any passwords, log in and out quickly, delete browsing history and put the app to sleep asap. Never had a problem....touch wood.

Captainmike

The only way that would be safe is to use a VPN.  

• Like 2

nothingbutquestions

Would Opera's VPN be sufficient?

Captainmike
23 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Would Opera's VPN be sufficient?

I'm using VPN Unlimited BoingBoing had it on sale for I think $30 for a lifetime subscription (i'm guessing their lifetime not mine).  VPN Unlimited had a pretty good selection of countries and servers I could use.  I listen to a lot of Pandora and Spotify and it's easier with a USA ISP.. I'm not sure if "opera" is referring to your operating system but for a VPN to work you need to communicate with a server...

• Like 1

GBT62

The short answer - No, Opera VPN wont add security to your banking communications. 

It'll just make your IP address anonymous and you exit their VPN tunnel somewhere else in the world. The comms from their server to your bank aren't in their encrypted tunnel.

It isn't end-to-end from your PC/Phone/Tablet to their server.

Many people (myself and CaptainMike above for example) use VPN services to get around geoblocking. It allows us to watch online TV,  listen to online radio stations, Pandora etc by appearing to be in another country or location to where we really are. These services allow you to choose your exit city/country. 

They aren't offering the security of a Remote Access or Site-to-Site VPN that terminates at the service or site you want secures communications with.

In a public wifi situation, you want to ensure https/ssl communications with sites you log in to - and two factor authentication. So - even if someone grabs your password somehow - it's not enough. They also need to prove they are you with a second method. 

• Like 2

hyaku
Posted (edited)

One of the honest staff might installed a key stoke logger. I had that problem once when a customer had installed it in an internet cafe PC. The owner didn't even know what a keystroke logger was.

Edited by hyaku

Kabisay-an gid
Posted (edited)

Globe LTE Mobile WiFi (Prepaid) - Up to 42 Mbps - Connects Up to 16 Devices

P1295

globe_lte_mobile_wifi_prepaid_1513415430

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

Woolf

If you have a cell phone you can use it as a "pocket wifi"

no need to buy a pocket wifi from globe or smart

for android

settings, more, tethring, wi-fi, hotspot set it to on

and you have a pocket wifi, 3G or LTE depending on your phone

Kabisay-an gid

Globe At Home Prepaid Home WiFi

P1999

globe+at+home+prepaid+wifi+02.jpg

Kabisay-an gid
8 minutes ago, Woolf said:

If you have a cell phone you can use it as a "pocket wifi"

no need to buy a pocket wifi from globe or smart

for android

settings, more, tethring, wi-fi, hotspot set it to on

and you have a pocket wifi, 3G or LTE depending on your phone

Will a cellphone have download speeds of up to 42 Mbps, and be able to connect up to 16 devices/users at a time?

Will one be able to make/receive a phone call and perform other non-internet functions on the phone - while they or their wife/girlfriend/child is using it as a mobile hotspot? 

A dedicated WiFi device makes sense, and the price is negligible. I've already bought several and given them to my Filipino relatives as gifts.

Woolf
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Will a cellphone have download speeds of up to 42 Mbps, and be able to connect up to 16 devices/users at a time?

Will one be able to make/receive a phone call and perform other non-internet functions on the phone - while they or their wife/girlfriend/child is using it as a mobile hotspot? 

A dedicated WiFi device makes sense, and the price is negligible. I've already bought several and given them to my Filipino relatives as gifts.

The OP is talking about wifi in a hotel room for bank transactions

there will hardly be a whole family wanting to connect to the internet there

If you do not trust the hotel WIFI, the cell phone as a hotspot is a way to go, without any extra investment

I have a globe pocket wifi, bought it a couple a years ago as a backup for my sky cable internet connection

not that I have many troubles with the sky internet, twice the trunk cable has been taken down by a truck at some construction area

close to my home

Edited by Woolf