Jump to content
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

JohnSurrey

High School computer recommendations ?

Recommended Posts

JohnSurrey

Main programs being used are Word, Powerpoint and Google 

Shared between 4 of them... lap top or net book ...

Budget not yet decided (will be asking ofw to buy it) - almost certainly under 20k

Anyone recommend a model and brand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jawny

In Baybay there is a decent retailer called Greenware.  Next to Dunkin’ Donuts. They have a variety of choices on hand and can get most models you may want. Often they have a brochure and I think they have a Facebook page. I don’t use Windows products much so can’t advise about models or features. 

Why I recommend them is they are supportive of the products they sell and can serve as a warranty assistance location. 

My kids use Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I have a home use version of all though there are some online versions. 

I considered getting a Windows device, but for ₽20,000 it wouldn’t get much.

Dont forget to get some thumb drives. The teachers very often use files rather than textbooks. 

Some teachers will use Facebook as a way to pass assignments or lessons.

You might consider getting a system built by Greenware, to your specifications  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
2 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Main programs being used are Word, Powerpoint and Google 

Shared between 4 of them... lap top or net book ...

Budget not yet decided (will be asking ofw to buy it) - almost certainly under 20k

Anyone recommend a model and brand 

One of these days DepEd might get a clue and publish a regularly updated, suitable specification while arranging a volume discount on the student version of MS Office available to students across the country. Possibly also a volume discount on the hardware too.

A netbook, shared by 4 students (simultaneously?), is a bit like asking 4 kids to share one textbook. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much! 15" screen or bigger would be better - but then that type of machine can be fairly bulky to carry.

If 4 kids from different families are expected to take one home for homework purposes, I can't see this "experiment" lasting more than a few months before machines are "lost", damaged or compromised by inappropriate surfing. The under 20k budget does not include ongoing software/hardware support or robust security and AV software/protocols.

Home use also requires home internet - Google is useless without it. Do all the students' homes have that? (and I don't mean Surf,Talk and Text load on a CP). In this particular high school area maybe that's not a problem.

Our student #3 has just completed senior high. She did extremely well. Her own laptop (which if I recall cost 26k and used software licensed in the "normal manner") was an important part of her success. There were also a lot of K-Pop (is that the right term?) music videos on it by the end of the course. :)

I fully support the concept (computers in high school and beyond. Earlier if possible). I'm not convinced by this particular model ("shared between 4") or method of procurement ("will be asking ofw to buy it") - assuming that phrase is intended to be read literally. I just wish DepEd and the schools would work on a common plan for this sort of thing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnSurrey
3 hours ago, Paddy said:

One of these days DepEd might get a clue and publish a regularly updated, suitable specification while arranging a volume discount on the student version of MS Office available to students across the country. Possibly also a volume discount on the hardware too.

A netbook, shared by 4 students (simultaneously?), is a bit like asking 4 kids to share one textbook. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much! 15" screen or bigger would be better - but then that type of machine can be fairly bulky to carry.

If 4 kids from different families are expected to take one home for homework purposes, I can't see this "experiment" lasting more than a few months before machines are "lost", damaged or compromised by inappropriate surfing. The under 20k budget does not include ongoing software/hardware support or robust security and AV software/protocols.

Home use also requires home internet - Google is useless without it. Do all the students' homes have that? (and I don't mean Surf,Talk and Text load on a CP). In this particular high school area maybe that's not a problem.

Our student #3 has just completed senior high. She did extremely well. Her own laptop (which if I recall cost 26k and used software licensed in the "normal manner") was an important part of her success. There were also a lot of K-Pop (is that the right term?) music videos on it by the end of the course. :)

I fully support the concept (computers in high school and beyond. Earlier if possible). I'm not convinced by this particular model ("shared between 4") or method of procurement ("will be asking ofw to buy it") - assuming that phrase is intended to be read literally. I just wish DepEd and the schools would work on a common plan for this sort of thing. 

Interesting interpretation Paddy...

They have 4 children - they all get projects that require the use of a computer - they're going to "take turns" - they already have an internet connection. The 20k was my idea as I thought you should be able to get something with Word and Powerpoint for that price... maybe the schools here aren't registered for the student edition of Office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnSurrey
4 hours ago, Jawny said:

In Baybay there is a decent retailer called Greenware.  Next to Dunkin’ Donuts. They have a variety of choices on hand and can get most models you may want. Often they have a brochure and I think they have a Facebook page. I don’t use Windows products much so can’t advise about models or features. 

Why I recommend them is they are supportive of the products they sell and can serve as a warranty assistance location. 

My kids use Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I have a home use version of all though there are some online versions. 

I considered getting a Windows device, but for ₽20,000 it wouldn’t get much.

Dont forget to get some thumb drives. The teachers very often use files rather than textbooks. 

Some teachers will use Facebook as a way to pass assignments or lessons.

You might consider getting a system built by Greenware, to your specifications  

I got annoyed Greenware because:

  1. They never have stock of the ink I use for the printer (I bought from them)
  2. Because they don't have stock of the ink they tell me they can get it from another branch... and then when I go back a couple of days later - they don't have it
  3. They sold me a Bluetooth speaker - which looked new in the shop but when I got it home it had obviously been used before

Aside from that - you're right they should buy from Greenware...

I was hoping to get a recommendation for a brand and model that I could pass on to my SIL so she could order through them so they can fix it if something goes wrong (as happened with their previous purchase of a laptop from a guy who did a quick runner)...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnSurrey
Paddy
1 hour ago, JohnSurrey said:

They have 4 children

One family - 4 children = different scenario. I assumed it was another school "scheme". We get them in Masbate!

A laptop with 2GB of ram is, in my opinion, a bit underpowered for Windows 10 and MS Office. It will work but I expect it will rapidly become sluggish. I'm currently considering a new personal laptop for myself. I doubt I will go less than 8GB ram (and here in Canada before sales tax they're running CAD$450-550 for a basic laptop with 8GB).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnSurrey
13 minutes ago, Woolf said:

for office

have a look at libreoffice 

same functions as microsoft 

it is free    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

download:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

 

27 minutes ago, Paddy said:

One family - 4 children = different scenario. I assumed it was another school "scheme". We get them in Masbate!

A laptop with 2GB of ram is, in my opinion, a bit underpowered for Windows 10 and MS Office. It will work but I expect it will rapidly become sluggish. I'm currently considering a new personal laptop for myself. I doubt I will go less than 8GB ram (and here in Canada before sales tax they're running CAD$450-550 for a basic laptop with 8GB).

I'm sure libreoffice is good value but I know they'll want what the other's are using...

Memory upgrade to 4gb 2000p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

Cheap 2nd hand computers and laptops for under 10K at Elisabeth Mall (eMall) Colonade Area !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnSurrey

Popped into Greenware...

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.805731c51e412d3d9f61b4f8ba9f6d6d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert



  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Guidelines and use of We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..