• Commercial Banner Advertisers

fivestarph

A Filipina friend of mine was rear ended by a speeding motorcycle.

the damage to the vehicle was marginal but to the bike and bike driver more substantial.

Citom is implying my Filipina friend was liable which I find strange since in most countries if you are rear ended the vehicle hitting your rear is liable?

Any views?

Rear Ended.jpg

Paddy

It's not always true - some sets of circumstances can make the vehicle in front at least partially liable. But otherwise, if not subject to some form of alternative logic, I would agree with you.

An example of alternative logic. She was driving a car. The car is much more expensive than a motor bike, therefore the car driver pays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Rat
25 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It's not always true - some sets of circumstances can make the vehicle in front at least partially liable. But otherwise, if not subject to some form of alternative logic, I would agree with you.

An example of alternative logic. She was driving a car. The car is much more expensive than a motor bike, therefore the car driver pays. 

Jack Rat

Normally if you are rear-ended the driver who shunted you is at fault. Simply, because he/she should have been travelling at a safe distance and speed to be able to stop if the car in front brakes. I would tell your insurance company your side of the argument and then let both Insurance co's sort it out.

Jawny

Sadly, the logic can get muddied here about right of way. I have a joke expression "the vehicle in the rear has the right of way". I use it to make an observation about how drivers here have the habit of wanting to overtake vehicles without looking further than the vehicle in front of themselves. So, when they start their overtaking move, and the vehicle in front moves over because of some sort of obstacle (a slow moving vehicle) the agggressive passer will honk and angrily react as if the car in front was expected to yield. 

My FIL was struck by a speeding motorcycle as he stood alongside the roadway.  He was knocked off his feet, injured, but survived. The incident occurred directly across from a well marked school and next to a marked pedestrian crossing path....in effect, the cyclist should have been exercising caution.  

After striking my FIL and damaging his bike, his first words were an angry statement......”you’re old, you should not be near the highway"

There are circumstances where the one struck from behind shares in responsibility. I won’t enter into a debate about the law, but in general, there are some situations where an accident could have been prevented if the car in front had responded differently.  For example, a driver entering a light controlled intersection may slow down or even stop anticipating a light change.  The following vehicles may end up striking the one in front, and claim a shared responsibility for the cause of the accident.

Or, pulling out into traffic, into the path of a following vehicle.  

Personally, the joke I referred to before has a strong influence on my driving habits here.  I watch my rear view mirror with much more interest than what is in front of me.  Whenever I make any sort of maneuver, I check the mirror carefully, knowing some idiot behind me may want to overtake just as I move to avoid striking a child/cyclist/slow vehicle etc.

musicman666

I need some new shocks on my bike ....let’s go hunting. 

• Haha 1

Aerosick

A friend got rear-ended in Cebu City.

Other Driver: "It's all your fault!!!"

Friend: "How's it my fault? You hit me!"

OD: If you weren't there I wouldn't have hit you! So, it's all your fault!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MarinePride

I was raised old school when it comes to driving.  If you make contact with the vehicle in front of you, no matter what, you were following too close for conditions.  Even if the car in front of you slams on the brakes.  Why does shit have to be complicated here? 

Traffic, and the stupidity see when I drive, is a sore spot with me here. 

Woolf
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jawny said:

when they start their overtaking move, and the vehicle in front moves over because of some sort of obstacle (a slow moving vehicle) the agggressive passer will honk and angrily react as if the car in front was expected to yield. 

It is

https://www.atbp.ph/2017/08/03/updated-list-traffic-violations-fines-penalties-philippines/

1000 php fine

fine passing.png

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
4 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Only in the Philippines...  :cool:

I'm sure this was written on behalf of those assholes in the big black SUV's with tinted windows and red and blue lights (VIP's).

• Like 1

Woolf
Posted (edited)

Danish driving law   https://danskelove.dk/færdselsloven

translated with google translate

§ 22 When a front rider becomes aware that a rearward coming will overtake to the left, the person concerned must keep as far as possible [ to the right ] and do not increase the speed.
Stk. 2. If a vehicle is driven at low speed or occupy a lot of space, and the carriageway is narrow or coarse, or there is an opposite traffic, the driver must pay particular attention to the future traffic. If it can make the overhaul easier, the driver must reduce the speed and, if necessary, drive the vehicle to the side as soon as possible and possibly completely stop.

Edited by Woolf

Headshot

Are you trying to prove a point that Philippine law is exactly the same as Danish law?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha 2

HTM
6 hours ago, fivestarph said:

Citom is implying my Filipina friend was liable

Lucky for her then that it's not up to the Citom!

samatm

lets see.... well of course since she is married to a Kano its her fault.   Case closed.      Next.  Is there really need to debate this here?

• Haha 2

lamoe

This never happens here or making a left hand turn from center or even right hand (3 rd) lane.

h