• Commercial Banner Advertisers

lamoe

Gas stoves here do not use metal fittings?

lamoe
Posted (edited)

In another thread was discussion of fire stated by stove - consensus was by a small "camp stove" type - saw this in Metro

Was thinking of getting one for Tata - walked around back and had a WTF!!! moment - is that a hose bib for rubber hose?

Checked out the other all the same type of connection.

20180513_183334[1].jpg

20180513_183412[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

colemanlee

it's the same you see on everything...standard procedure here...even for large ranges...

• Like 1

lopburi3

Yes rubber hose is quite normal.  It appears in PH you have SS weave over the hose.

Stainless Steel Enforced Flexible LPG Gas Hose 1.8meters

• Thanks 1

RogerDat

I have never seen ss over wrap on Mactan, bet that's a B-- to get on.

I try to change our hose every 10 years. They are safer in open air kitchens I think.

• Like 1

Paddy

There is, as far as I am aware, no mains gas supply, and few places with a large, static, LPG tank in the yard. As a result, a flexible connection to bottled gas is necessary. I don't think I have ever seen a non-rubberized connection to a gas bottle. Some hoses have an armoured layer, some don't. It would be nice to see hoses with industrially applied fittings (at both ends), rather than push-fit with clip but the "standard" seems to be push-fit.

Given the rigorous attention to maintenance in the average kitchen, the occasional fire is to be expected.

• Like 1

lopburi3
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RogerDat said:

I have never seen ss over wrap on Mactan, bet that's a B-- to get on.

I try to change our hose every 10 years. They are safer in open air kitchens I think.

Can only go by what I found is being sold on Lazada in PH - here in Thailand it is a rubber outer cover over an internal hose so helps to show if needs replacement if outer starts to crack - only use the SS covering on shower/spray hose.  Most people also use safety type regulators here in Thailand which stop flow of gas if no back pressure.

Edit:  and yes open air kitchens are normal and very practical as much easier to clean (hot wok cooking does splatter). 

Lucky flame Gas low pressure regulator safety L-325S - GreenLucky flame Gas low pressure regulator safety L-325S - Green

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

M.C.A.

We have two gas stoves but each one also has an electric burner in the middle and oven the price on the one show isn't bad and you can cook several things at once with plenty of space. 

Both my stoves have the lines shown and connected with a rubber hose, watch out some hoses are very cheap. We just got back our one Westinghouse stove it was refurbished and the other a LaGermaina stove I worked on this one today cleaned all the stove top fixtures so now all 4 burners work but I need to repair the electric burner.

• Like 2

trthebees

Worth watching out for the size of the hose too, Most hoses are probably ok with La Germania, the most common stove. Until now we've always used the simple 2-burner table top thing La G. But as we thought an oven would be useful, we recently bought a standard cooker...4 rings and an oven and grill. Beko. 

It turned out the first hose we tried was too loose a fit, pushed on but too much tightening to seal.And we wanted 2 metres long, not locally available, only 1.5. Next time in the city, I checked loads of hoses in stores. The bore varied. It seemed that Wolf brand and the orange brand (Sungas?) had slightly smaller bores. Wolf had 2 metres, worked fine. Perhaps some stove brands have a hose tail for nominally 3/8, not 10mm. Or perhaps it's that some hoses are just plain too cheap and have little or no QC on the bore sizing. 

Oh, and some of the hose clips are a bit too cheap and cheerful. 

• Like 2

lamoe

Need to put on things  to bring -  if you cook a lot - a stove AND fittings?

lopburi3
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Need to put on things  to bring -  if you cook a lot - a stove AND fittings?

Or not - and just adapt to local conditions.  Not everything from our homelands it necessarily the best answer elsewhere.  The window AC is one example (although still popular in PI) and the washing machine another (Japanese style water spin much better for clothing, as are the front loading Europian types).  Even US TV system is behind most of the world.  That is not to say US products do not fill a need - they are most often mass market and cheap (even if not made in USA anymore) and are great in that regard.  But spare parts are often not available in foreign markets so it should be a throw away plan if they fail.  

lamoe
4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Or not - and just adapt to local conditions.  Not everything from our homelands it necessarily the best answer elsewhere.  The window AC is one example (although still popular in PI) and the washing machine another (Japanese style water spin much better for clothing, as are the front loading Europian types).  Even US TV system is behind most of the world.  That is not to say US products do not fill a need - they are most often mass market and cheap (even if not made in USA anymore) and are great in that regard.  But spare parts are often not available in foreign markets so it should be a throw away plan if they fail.  

You're right about the products meeting conditions, environment / acceptable price.

Was joking about the stove.

From what I've seen  - the Chinese send their minimal QC / cheapest  stuff here and better quality (higher cost) to Western countries - due to customer service / return policies?. Higher quality is available of course, just need to look for it.

1 point  about AC - most US houses / condos / even never apartments have central air (especially in the North =  heat / AC  combined ) -  splits are available for individual rooms just not practical in majority of cases. Had a 3 ton for house - shut gate valves / floor vents  for rooms not used so minimal usage but did remove humidity in whole house due to leaving returns open..

lopburi3
3 minutes ago, lamoe said:

1 point  about AC - most US houses / condos / even never apartments have central air (especially in the North

True but most homes have room for ductwork that is often not found in countries where wood/steel/gypsum are not the main housing material and there is no need for heating.  But I have lived with that in Homestead, Florida and the heating was not sufficient even there and doors had to have space to allow air flow so no privacy and inefficient cooling if not all rooms needing.  My sister has such on the Texas/Oklahoma border and was freezing this spring and the heating capacity is very low.  But electric is cheap in USA so efficiency is not that important.  

lamoe
14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

True but most homes have room for ductwork that is often not found in countries where wood/steel/gypsum are not the main housing material and there is no need for heating.  But I have lived with that in Homestead, Florida and the heating was not sufficient even there and doors had to have space to allow air flow so no privacy and inefficient cooling if not all rooms needing.  My sister has such on the Texas/Oklahoma border and was freezing this spring and the heating capacity is very low.  But electric is cheap in USA so efficiency is not that important.  

So is Nat Gas  (Illinois) getting off topic but does pertain as to what to bring should be inconsideration of local norms and climate.

Climate being the biggie - keep Neosprean in fridge along with some other gel meds so they don't turn into liquid.  Also long term powder pills (Aspirin / vitamins in 400 pc bottles)

On that note - some good small 120 Ml size? - airtight sealable bottles 

• Like 2