• Commercial Banner Advertisers

TequilaSunset

4th visit... feeling even more at ease here now

TequilaSunset

Today was one for the books!

Went to SM Seaside to watch the 3D Avengers movie (really liked it) The chaos in that movie was a precursor as to how our trip back to the hotel would flow. Got a taxi who bypassed the line and pulled up as we walked out. The driver did not do the usual right turn, then flip a u turn. Instead he pulled out on to the highway going away from the Quest. I told the GF in a whisper, he's going in the wrong direction. After about a minute she asked him what's up, and he explained he was heading to the u turn. By the time we got back to Mall the meter was already at 125p. They talked some more and GF just kept texting me to keep our conversation on the down low. He said it was a calibrated taxi and we could ask for a receipt etc. He got very quiet, I think suspecting we would report him at the hotel.

As we got back to the regular surface streets we came upon a funeral procession, clogged the streets something awful. It gets worse... Then we spot a fire up ahead. The taxi driver pulled to the side, yelled at someone who was watching the smoke, then pulled back into the traffic driving straight for the fire. He suddenly pulls over and gets out of the cab. Said it was his house, and demanded payment. I wasn't sure what was going on, GF straight up paid him. She tells me to follow her...then explains it all. I think she wanted to avoid a confrontation with me and him. So the Mook just abandoned us. I suspect it was all a ruse to avoid trouble at the hotel with security etc.

So we hunted down another taxi eventually. Traffic was a mess, fire tucks, ambulances, police, all came screaming in. We got a taxi and all the streets were FUBAR! Everyone trying to find a way out. Not sure how bad the fire was, but we could feel the heat despite being shielded by a building. Hopefully no one was injured. GF was surprised how relaxed I was when we finally got to the hotel. I just told her it's more fun in the Philippines!

61c0e717af95b99f96bb27c03d72248e.jpg&key=74efed421d1b2a64bad44a98d3ef1d4754530579052069da1b426f3ca7f3406514028f61d5d18b7c431a09343aec9f25.jpg&key=41e471c3404444a4ac9c56c6a72d3e9c6980ff5cdc71c404f7645ca8710f5b58

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Enuff

Went to SM Seaside to watch the 3D Avengers movie (really liked it) The chaos in that movie was a precursor as to how our trip back to the hotel would flow. Got a taxi who bypassed the line and pulled up as we walked out. The driver did not do the usual right turn, then flip a u turn. Instead he pulled out on to the highway going away from the Quest. I told the GF in a whisper, he's going in the wrong direction. After about a minute she asked him what's up, and he explained he was heading to the u turn. By the time we got back to Mall the meter was already at 125p. They talked some more and GF just kept texting me to keep our conversation on the down low. He said it was a calibrated taxi and we could ask for a receipt etc. He got very quiet, I think suspecting we would report him at the hotel.

As we got back to the regular surface streets we came upon a funeral procession, clogged the streets something awful. It gets worse... Then we spot a fire up ahead. The taxi driver pulled to the side, yelled at someone who was watching the smoke, then pulled back into the traffic driving straight for the fire. He suddenly pulls over and gets out of the cab. Said it was his house, and demanded payment. I wasn't sure what was going on, GF straight up paid him. She tells me to follow her...then explains it all. I think she wanted to avoid a confrontation with me and him. So the Mook just abandoned us. I suspect it was all a ruse to avoid trouble at the hotel with security etc.

So we hunted down another taxi eventually. Traffic was a mess, fire tucks, ambulances, police, all came screaming in. We got a taxi and all the streets were FUBAR! Everyone trying to find a way out. Not sure how bad the fire was, but we could feel the heat despite being shielded by a building. Hopefully no one was injured. GF was surprised how relaxed I was when we finally got to the hotel. I just told her it's more fun in the Philippines!

61c0e717af95b99f96bb27c03d72248e.jpg&key=74efed421d1b2a64bad44a98d3ef1d4754530579052069da1b426f3ca7f3406514028f61d5d18b7c431a09343aec9f25.jpg&key=41e471c3404444a4ac9c56c6a72d3e9c6980ff5cdc71c404f7645ca8710f5b58

Whenever available try grabcar. It's a flat rate and better cars & drivers. Typically it's the same rate too minus and fast meters or heavy traffic.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dafey

Glad you are safe...hope your flight is uneventful!

• Like 2

TequilaSunset

Thanks for the heads up!

Whenever available try grabcar. It's a flat rate and better cars & drivers. Typically it's the same rate too minus and fast meters or heavy traffic.

Thanks! Leave in about 13 hrs. She's curled up against me, depressed, and trying to catch a couple hrs sleep before her shift. Hopefully back here soon!

Glad you are safe...hope your flight is uneventful!

Flakes
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

So we hunted down another taxi eventually. Traffic was a mess, fire tucks, ambulances, police, all came screaming in. We got a taxi and all the streets were FUBAR! Everyone trying to find a way out. Not sure how bad the fire was, but we could feel the heat despite being shielded by a building. Hopefully no one was injured. GF was surprised how relaxed I was when we finally got to the hotel. I just told her it's more fun in the Philippines! emoji3.png

That mall i nolonger go to in Evenings its a deathtrap.

free busses stop to run at 8 pm then only taxis but no taxis available  if u want leave at 9 pm the waiting time for a taxi average 1-2 hours. Then they have closed up the left turn  going to plazza la indelpenzia because of 2 accidents instead of closing a road they should install traffic lights or make a flyover!..

now other areas get clogged because they can not make the turn. Anyway the nall if fine if u leave before 8 pm. Free shuttle bus should run till 22:00 but the mall not care how u go back they only want u to come..but since i cant get back home then  i nolonger coming either.

Edited by Flakes
  • Like 1

TequilaSunset

We left before 3pm. What I left out there were also two breakdowns on the bridge. One flatbed on the right, then maybe 100 yards up, a multi cab stalled in the left lane. It's like the universe was trying to make me stay

That mall i nolonger go to in Evenings its a deathtrap.
free busses stop to run at 8 pm then only taxis but no taxis available  if u want leave at 9 pm the waiting time for a taxi average 1-2 hours. Then they have closed up the left turn  going to plazza la indelpenzia because of 2 accidents instead of closing a road they should install traffic lights or make a flyover!..
now other areas get clogged because they can not make the turn. Anyway the nall if fine if u leave before 8 pm. Free shuttle bus should run till 22:00 but the mall not care how u go back they only want u to come..but since i cant get back home then  i nolonger coming either.

• Haha 1

TequilaSunset

The depression is setting in during this long ass layover here in Taipei.

I'll be back! :D

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Enuff

Amazing, 24 hour flight over goes by rather quickly, 2 weeks go by in a matter of days and the flight back takes forever.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

TequilaSunset

Truth...and landing 90 minutes late doesn't help...oh well. Better late than never as they say.

Amazing, 24 hour flight over goes by rather quickly, 2 weeks go by in a matter of days and the flight back takes forever.

Kabisay-an gid
14 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

The depression is setting in during this long ass layover here in Taipei.

How long was the layover, and what airline?

TequilaSunset

5.5 he layover, then some sort of technical airport issue, stopped on tarmac. EVA air...love them

How long was the layover, and what airline?

Kabisay-an gid
35 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

5.5 he layover, then some sort of technical airport issue, stopped on tarmac. EVA air...love them

I fly EVA myself, definitely top-notch. One of only 10 airlines on the planet with a SKYTRAX 5-star rating. Superb safety record, excellent customer service in the air and on the ground. Not cheap, but not overly expensive either.

• Like 2

lamoe
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 8:31 PM, Flakes said:

Free shuttle bus should run till 22:00 but the mall not care how u go back they only want u to come..but since i cant get back home then  i nolonger coming either.

Learned the traffic patterns here very quickly - like you know the acceptable routs and when they're taking the long way

I refuse to try to come back from anywhere between 3:30 to 7 pm, if possible,  unless it's Ayala or Fuentes Circle area (10 / 15 min walk)

Seaside - 20 min there - back 45 min to 1 hr  or more depending on time.

Same Robinson's Galleria free shuttle

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
On 5/9/2018 at 2:30 PM, cookie47 said:

RangerUp, yes i arrived in Negros in 1984 to meet my pen pal.No running water (it came in daily delivery was by a boy on a bike that looked like something out of the 1800,s.No power, (someone had stolen the copper wires.)Petromax lamps after 6.0pm.till 9.30.COLD showers.But as an avid camper in Australia it just sll worked for me.
If you wanted to pee at night it was a bucket job.No tv signal, Two story house that "wobbled" under my 95 Kilos when going upstairs.But you know what i wouldn't change anything.
My first wife got her uni degree studying with only candle light.Its been an absolute education for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

You might be interested in checking out this place then. My ex wife's home when we first met.

• Like 1

cookie47
You might be interested in checking out this place then. My ex wife's home when we first met.

Nice Jim, thanks for sharing. Yes there are many similarities particularly the local kids that looked through the window (well hole in the wall) when we were eating. The positive was it "on the beach" with only sand between you and the water. The negative was so was the toilet. I'll leave it at that haha,,,

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1