• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Dafey

Things are starting to get active in the Pacific. Coming from Florida I feel pretty well versed in preparing for Tropical Cyclones but we may have some Members new to the Tropics so let's take some time to share our Typhoon Safety plans. This could be as simple as jumping a flight to someplace safe or a checklist for riding out the storm.

For years when I was growing up I never understood why they suggested filling up the bathtub...until we lost all water and I needed to flush the toilet! :(

What good advice can you share?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

soupeod
Posted (edited)

Five  things off the top of my head:

1.  Get a generator for fans, power supply and refrigerator.

2.  Get water cans, know a separate source of water supply, our have your own well.

3.  Get shelter; maybe your house is blown away or stands, be prepared and get extra cheapo tarps.

4.  ATM's might not be available, have a bank account with a passbook to get cash and keep a cash reserve available.

5.  Have emergency defense plan ready, fire arms (Phil citizens), etc.. in case of wide spread panic, looting and thieves.

Edited by soupeod
Added one
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Dafey

I didn't think of the ATMs...good point

Kabisay-an gid

1. Make sure you have a place to properly store the generator fuel.

2. In addition to water cans, keep several cases of bottled water on hand at all times. 

3. If you don't have a wall around your house, you might want to consider building one. It will help protect your house from high winds and flying objects/debris, as well as provide protection from looters/thieves afterward.

4. I don't keep a large amount of cash in the house, maybe 10-15k PHP. YMMV, especially if one has kids, so some may need to keep more on hand. If one has stored up adequate food, water and other essentials beforehand, there shouldn't be a need to take the risk of keeping a large amount of cash around the house. My opinion.

5. It's legal to have a firearm in the house as long as there's a Filipino national living there who has a valid LTOPF (license to own & possess firearms). The LTOPF does NOT authorize a firearm to be carried outside the house or in a vehicle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hyaku
Posted (edited)

If I had no cash we would have been in serious trouble. When a big one is predicted I go to the bank and draw a fair amount of cash. Everything will probably go down as lot of the services here are half arsed anyway. Power, telecommunications, closed roads lead to no gasoline or food on any shelves. You might need to evacuate for while and will need cash. Add to that your bank will be alienated from other branches as long as its offline and cheques cannot be cashed at other branches.

I was out first day helping the barangay clear the roads. They club together well here. National aid is another story. Our rice relief arrived "four months later" and they stole span from care packages to replace with sardines.

I lost my heavy tiled roof twice in Japan and also a car. But the infrastructure is strong. Here its a different ball game. My house is concrete and built into the mountain. Strong enough to withstand damage. But we had to evacuate twice as things were down for months. Yolanda. Then Ruby the following year was actually worst coming in from the East.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 2

Kabisay-an gid
17 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Add to that your bank will be alienated from other branches as long as its offline and cheques cannot be cashed at other branches.

Not true at BPI, which is one of the main reasons why the asawa and myself bank there. If I had to relocate, I would definitely choose an area with a reasonably close BPI branch.

Encash checks, request for a new checkbook or ATM card and do other transactions in any branch that's convenient to you.
In other banks, important transactions (like encashing checks, ordering checkbooks, replacing your lost ATM card or applying for a manager's check) must be done in the branch where you opened your account. In BPI, you can do a wide range of transactions in any branch near you! You have more than 600 BPI branches to choose from, so you can save time and transportation cost.

https://www.bpiexpressonline.com/p/0/12/branch-banking 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kabisay-an gid
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, hyaku said:

If I had no cash we would have been in serious trouble.

Nobody in this thread stated or suggested that NO cash be kept in the house. I merely advised against keeping a LARGE amount of cash on hand. Desperate individuals who didn't properly prepare for a typhoon, may very well resort to burglaries and home invasion robberies afterwards.

Foreigners are assumed by many Filipinos to be "rich", making them a prime target for desperate individuals who don't have any reservations about stealing their money and anything else.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

Jawny

I have three generators, with several hundred liters of fuel.

Water is available, and can be boiled for drinking.  I live in an area wth spring water.  Our electrical pump works as well.

Banking was shit down for an extended period during Yolanda, but with a good relationship with the bank, a passbook account was useable. 

I have a significant amount of cash in a safe place, accessible in an emergency.

Not excessive amounts of food in storage.

• Like 2

Goetz1965

After reading point 1 to 5 from soupeod I can add

6) better stay where you are !

• Like 2

colemanlee

Cant add much to what has already been said....be prepared for zero infrastructure ie, police, medical.  One of the largest problems we had after Yolanda was looting, and mob behavior...it was about a week before any relief in the form of Police, Army so all the malls, all of downtown, was pretty much cleaned out...it took about a year for them to rebuild the malls and stores...once they got the roads up and cleared, we had to go to Ormoc for supplies...one other thing, I keep a couple of extra bottles of propane on hand ....and yes you can use wood (there was plenty laying around after Yolanda) but propane is much easier..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
35 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

After reading point 1 to 5 from soupeod I can add

6) better stay where you are !

That depends....

After the storm I agree. 

Before the storm, decide if you should leave your area for a safer one.

@colemanlee actually has a good story about his relatives in Yolanda if I can beg hi to share?

• Like 2

colemanlee
Posted (edited)

@Dafey its here somewhere, not sure where?   Think I posted it a few months ago

Found it.....

Edited by colemanlee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

No prob...bottom line was Lee's family wanted to ride out Yolanda in a shack on the beach, (all they owned), and Lee convinced them to weather the storm in his house. Next day there was nothing left on the beach...anyone who stayed would have been dead.

The point is, do a reality check on where you live and if it will be safe. Make a judgement call remembering that it could be your life.

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

Keep a good stock of canned goods that don't require refrigeration or cooking on hand - meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, milk, juices, etcetera.

Also at least two heavy-duty can openers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1