• Commercial Banner Advertisers

nothingbutquestions

Which ATM card do you recommend? And why?

lolhahaha
5 hours ago, soupeod said:

Great idea, in fact I have one already and will switch from USAA to NFCU too.  Thanks!

Get their cash rewards credit card too. NFCU has 3% cash rewards so I use it at Gaisano and Robinsons and S&R several times a month and just pay it off before it's due. So I end up making a 3% profit by using it.

3 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

But are there ATM fees when used in the Philippines, and how much are they? Thanks.

Whatever the ATM here charges you. There are no ATM fees from NFCU.

Kabisay-an gid
On 5/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, nothingbutquestions said:

Just spoke to HSBC and they informed me they now charge a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee !

As previously stated, HSBC has only ONE ATM location in the entire central Philippines  (Visayas & Palawan) - located in Cebu Business Park.

If you intend to travel some in the Philippines after moving here, the HSBC card will cost you a lot of money in ATM fees.

You'll have to use third party ATM's when you're virtually anywhere outside Cebu City - which means the 3% HSBC fee, plus the fee the entity that owns the ATM charges - usually P200. And you'll be limited to a maximum withdrawal of P10,000.

• Like 1

RedRanger
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Monsoon said:

Best ATM for U.S. people - Schwab

Best CC for travel - Chase Sapphire Preferred (or Reserve if lounge access is important to you).  

Exchange rates better than available at the money changer every time Ive checked. 

I am going to check into both of those

• Like 1

Woolf
17 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

plus the fee the entity that owns the ATM charges - usually P200. And you'll be limited to a maximum withdrawal of P10,000.

At BPI atms they now charge 250 php

I can withdraw 20,000 on my danish Master Card at least at a BPI atm

Kabisay-an gid
3 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I am going to check into both of those

Chase Sapphire Preferred annual fee: $95

Chase Sapphire Reserve annual fee: $450

39 minutes ago, Woolf said:

At BPI atms they now charge 250 php

I can withdraw 20,000 on my danish Master Card at least at a BPI atm

For those who live in the Philippines some, most or all of the year - it would be wise to open an account with BPI and get a BPI debit card for ATM withdrawals.

They could still use the foreign credit card of their choice for purchases.

All local transactions using the BPI debit cards at any BPI or BPI Family Savings Bank ATM are free of charge.

BPI has more ATM's nationwide than BDO and Metrobank combined.

BPI charges only P15 for withdrawals made at non-BPI ATM's.

• Thanks 1

Monsoon
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

You will find that most, if not all worthwhile travel oriented cards are going to have an annual fee.  I save thousands of dollars per year in exchange fees using that card. I also get several thousands of dollars in reward travel per year just by using that card for my day to day purchases. So $95 is rather inconsequential  in my case. 

I dont carry the reserve, as I get my lounge access (and other benefits) through another card with an even higher annual fee. 

Everyone has different needs. I travel extensively and use the perks/benefits very regularly. In fact, I wish they would double or triple the annual fee of  cards with lounge access - those lounges sometimes get too crowded for my liking. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Thanks 1

Enuff

One benefit for me carrying the Charles Schwab card is I don't care which bank or ATM I use. I see 10 in line for BPI and a Security Bank ATM vacant. I can use any knowing I'm getting fee refunded.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kabisay-an gid
1 hour ago, Enuff said:

One benefit for me carrying the Charles Schwab card is I don't care which bank or ATM I use. I see 10 in line for BPI and a Security Bank ATM vacant. I can use any knowing I'm getting fee refunded.

But you have to open both a checking account and brokerage account with Schwab, in order to get the card.

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

You will find that most, if not all worthwhile travel oriented cards are going to have an annual fee. 

Sapphire Preferred is a fine choice. Different strokes for different folks.

Sapphire Preferred is an excellent card for people like myself, who pay off their entire balance every month and don't take cash advances.

But for people who consistently carry a revolving balance and take cash advances - there are some travel cards out there with lower APR's.

Also, you only get double points with Sapphire on travel and hotel purchases - whereas a few travel cards out there offer double points on all purchases.

• Like 2

lamoe
4 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

But you have to open both a checking account and brokerage account with Schwab, in order to get the card.

Yep - did mine last trip in person at local brokerage office-

Fed Exe'd card in 2 business? days (Friday applied  Monday received)

• Like 3

Monsoon
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Also, you only get double points with Sapphire on travel and hotel purchases - whereas a few travel cards out there offer double points on all purchases.

Sapphire gives you double on travel and dining. I have told my wife to use that card for all of her day to day stuff as well as when she's traveling. If she is in the Philippines she will use it whenever possible.  I have laughed to myself at some of the small charges I've seen on the statement that she has managed to make in the Philippines (I remember one was the equivalent of $1.50).   Every time I've compared the exchange rate given it has been basically market. In most cases when I'm in the PH it is same or better than available at the money changers. In some countries it represents a significant savings over what is readily available.  I use it primarily when I travel as well, except for most airfare I book with an Amex card that gives me 5x points on airfare. I book a lot of airfare for myself and some employees so it adds up quick and helps me justify the high annual fee from Amex. The Amex Centurion lounge is also the best lounge at my home airport so it is a nice bonus. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kabisay-an gid
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Yep - did mine last trip in person at local brokerage office-

Fed Exe'd card in 2 business? days (Friday applied  Monday received)

Schwab is a good choice for some, but I personally have no use for it.

With a BPI debit card, one can make withdrawals without any fees at over 2200 BPI ATM locations nationwide, with a generous daily limit of P20,000 for regular peso accounts or $500 for dollar accounts.

Since there are no fees charged at the time of withdrawal, there's no having to wait for fees to be reimbursed later.

• Thanks 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Schwab is a good choice for some, but I personally have no use for it.

With a BPI debit card, one can make withdrawals without any fees at over 2200 BPI ATM locations nationwide, with a generous daily limit of P20,000 for regular peso accounts or $500 for dollar accounts.

Since there are no fees charged at the time of withdrawal, there's no having to wait for fees to be reimbursed later.

I agree  - different strokes

1,000 USD per day is my limit.

RedRanger
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, Kabisay-an gid said:

Chase Sapphire Reserve annual fee: $450

For those who live in the Philippines some, most or all of the year - it would be wise to open an account with BPI and get a BPI debit card for ATM withdrawals.

They could still use the foreign credit card of their choice for purchases.

All local transactions using the BPI debit cards at any BPI or BPI Family Savings Bank ATM are free of charge.

BPI has more ATM's nationwide than BDO and Metrobank combined.

BPI charges only P15 for withdrawals made at non-BPI ATM's.

I applied for the Sapphire Reserved online. Got approved in seconds with a 14k credit limit, they waive the $95 the first year.  They will give you 50,000 bonus points if you spend $4K in the first 3 months.  Added bonus I listed on authorized user and if they make just a single purchase I get another 5k bonus points.  Not a bad deal if I say so.  

• Like 1