soupeod

Bisayang Americano - YouTube

soupeod

Irish_Geo

i wish I was as comfortable with the language as this guy :)

Any idea who he is or how long he's been learning?

Headshot
40 minutes ago, Irish_Geo said:

Go on a two-year Mormon mission to Cebu, and you will speak the language as well as he does, if you get my drift.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

soupeod
47 minutes ago, Irish_Geo said:

No doubt he attended the US DoD language school before his assignment.

5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Go on a two-year Mormon mission to Cebu, and you will speak the language as well as he does, if you get my drift.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I dont get it.

Headshot
3 minutes ago, soupeod said:

No doubt he attended the US DoD language school before his assignment.

I dont get it.

I'm not so sure that the DoD Language School has a course for Bisayan. The Visayan Islands aren't exactly among the trouble spots they focus on. They certainly don't speak Bisayan down in the Zamboanga del Sur area or in the Sulu archipelago.

soupeod
9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Zamboanga

Ah I didnt know that I thought they were Bisiya speakers in Zambo. Maybe the Marine was in GenSan?

Headshot
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, soupeod said:

Ah I didnt know that I thought they were Bisiya speakers in Zambo. Maybe the Marine was in GenSan?

They speak a creole form of Spanish in Zamboanga. A lot of return Mormon missionaries join the military after they return from their missions, and some of them make it a career. The Gunny fits the profile.

The Mormon Church has a Language Training Center (LTC) in Provo, Utah that puts the DoD Language School to shame. They teach three to six month Immersive language courses, where their missionaries come out speaking fluently. Then they speak nothing but their mission language throughout the remaining two years of their missions. They teach hundreds of languages at the LTC, whereas the DoD Language School concentrates on those languages that will be most valuable to the military. Where the DoD Language School needs language instruction in languages they don't cover, they rely on the return Mormon missionaries for instruction and the LTC for a syllabus.

I'm Catholic, but I lived in Utah for many years, so you can't help but pick up on this stuff. 

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1